Pen Duick by hof00 - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1/28

11 minutes ago, hof00 said:

To gauge the angle, I held the Drill on the Sternpost, this ensured that the hole is at the correct angle and perpendicular.

That makes good sense. Did you have an extra long 4 mm drill bit so that the shank of the bit extended below the bottom of the keel in order for you to have something to hold on to as you turned the drill bit? If not, how were you able to turn the drill bit if the shank of the bit was flush against the sternpost?

Many thanks Harry,

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Chap,

No, I did not have a long drill bit.... 🙂

I have had a thought, (Today of all days), why not, after planking, affix a Brass tube, Brass or similar, to the Sternpost with some "Strong Tape."

Same ID as you Drill Bit.... (4.0 mm?)

You can then be assured that the hole will be square and perpendicular, sound like a plan?

I bored my Stern Tube hole holding the Bit on the Sternpost, as mentioned, loss of skin....

(I guess you may be able to find a longer 4.0mm bit but once the hole is started and deep enough, it should follow.

I wouldn't use Power but do it by hand, my opinion only.

(I used Long Nose Pliers and Fingers to turn the Bit.... )

Anyway, I am hopeful that this will work for you, nice to "Articulate" things if possible. (You can then operate the Tiller and the Rudder will move.... (Not that anyone will know apart from yourself.)

I think maybe the Tube/Tape Drill Guide option will give you the required clearance between Rudder and Sternpost also??

What do you reckon?

The communication is good, Sir,  it's like revisiting the build and what I might have done differently. 🙂)

I guess the Hull Planking first to add that strength to the False Keel structure?

Anyway, at the end of the day, your build. (you'll decide the best ay to approach things, consider carefully and maybe there are others on this awesome site that can offer more learned advice than this Chap. :)

Really happy to proffer my advice. 🙂

Cheers and Regards,

Harry. (HOF)

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

37 minutes ago, hof00 said:

What do you reckon?

I think you have hit on a lot of ideas. I guess I'll have to make a choice once I get to that point. It must have taken you forever to drill that hole just turning the drill with your fingers and pliers. Good on ya, man!

I've finished gluing in all of the frames, keel stiffeners and the deck. I will start fairing the frames tomorrow. I always a bit unsure about this step since it's so easy to take off too much or too little which then creates problems in the planking. 

Are you currently building anything?

Best regards,

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Hi Chao,

Good to hear your progress.

The Rudder Tube did not take all that long to drill, the Ply is pretty compliant.

You'll be on to the Deck soon, look at it as an ":Opportunity, "

(A Learning perhaps?)

I am sure that your decking will be better than mine!! (If you can complete your Longboat to that standard, you have some awesome Ship modelling skills. 🙂 )

I'll send some Pen Duick photos to your E-Mal a little later this evening.

(One thing I have learned, esp. with the Cutty Sark, is walk away if your not in the right head space. 🙂 )

Again, think about the next move and the consequences of your actions. Sleep on it perhaps?

(Practical and Pragmatic.... I think that I am teaching you to suck eggs here? 🙂 )

(I am enjoying the Log and your build, as stated, I have plenty of downtime at present.... 🙂 )

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Yup,

I'm currently doing a "Tear Down" and re-build of A/L Sanson. (19th Century Steam Tug.)

I was not happy with the way that this was going, so Pull it apart and try to put it back together....

(Log on this site.)

I cannot do anything at present as all my modeling stuff is in storage with my moving company until early June. Even after we take possession of the new property, there will be more than a couple of weeks to unpack things.

One of my colleagues in a past life used to say to me, "So many ships, so little time...."

I'm really looking forward to the Mamoli "Flying Cloud." (I love the Clippers....They take a huge commitment in terms of research/time but well worth the effort.

(My father used to say to me, "Son, it's not what you come into the world with, it's what you leave behind." 🙂)

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

13 hours ago, hof00 said:

Good to hear your progress.

The Rudder Tube did not take all that long to drill, the Ply is pretty compliant.

Hi Harry, I spent part of this morning fairing the forward half of the frames. This process always makes me nervous. I hope I'm doing it correctly. I'll try and post some photos tomorrow and update my build log. 

You'll be on to the Deck soon, look at it as an ":Opportunity, "

(A Learning perhaps?)

I think it will be an adventure for sure! I hope I will be able to make a template from a few of the photos you emailed to me.

Again, think about the next move and the consequences of your actions. Sleep on it perhaps?

I'm getting better at slowing down and double checking the plans since the written instructions are practically useless and the photos in the instructions are small and rather blurry so they are much help either. I'm flying by the seat of my pants at the moment but I seem to be on the right track...we'll see!

(One thing I have learned, esp. with the Cutty Sark, is walk away if your not in the right head space. 🙂 )

Did you make a build log of your Cutty Sark?

10 hours ago, hof00 said:

I'm currently doing a "Tear Down" and re-build of A/L Sanson. (19th Century Steam Tug.)

I'll have to take a look at your build log. You might want to add a signature with links for your completed builds and current log. You do such nice work that a lot more forum members would be able to easily find your models and logs that way. Just a suggestion...

Thanks so much again for your continued assistance and interest in my build.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

🙂

Yup, there is a Build Log of the Cutty….

(Build logs are under HOF00)

No worries, (And no charge 🙂) for trying to offer assistance, that's part of the spirit of this site!!

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

• 1 month later...

just been catching up on some racing yacht build logs as i am presently on the Amati Dorade, you did a lovely job on her, well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 4 weeks later...

Wow Harry!  What a great build!

Your cases are also works of art!  You should do a tutorial on building cases.

very jealous of your skills. 

best,

marc 

Beautiful build, I like seeing a model of a yacht that still are being used on open water.

The case is a masterpiece itself.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry