Skipjack Kathryn by Mahuna - FINISHED - 1:32 - Based on HAER Drawings

12 hours ago, druxey said:

Oh, my! That's quite the quest for a good facsimile. Looking good, Frank.

Thanks Druxey.  I'm a little disappointed that I wasn't able to make the ring net from scratch, but I'd really like to get the model finished this year. 😉

32 minutes ago, John Allen said:

Frank maybe early but are you going to add rope lacing from rings to upper bar? 

Necessity is the mother of invention, problem solving A#1 Kudos.

Hi John.  Yes, I'll be adding the rope after I get the rings finished.

Hi Frank

Those dredges look like the real deal. If I were you, I’d be tempted to try them out in my koi pond.   Mmmm,  I wonder what aquatic bugs they could dredge up (pardon the pun)?

Cheers. 

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

On 7/17/2019 at 5:30 PM, Jim Lad said:

Just catching up, Frank.  Your dredges are looking first class.  Well done!

John

Thanks John.  Making the dredges have been a little frustrating, but they're getting there.

On 7/20/2019 at 2:24 AM, Omega1234 said:

Hi Frank

Those dredges look like the real deal. If I were you, I’d be tempted to try them out in my koi pond.   Mmmm,  I wonder what aquatic bugs they could dredge up (pardon the pun)?

Cheers. 

Patrick

Hi Patrick.  You always have interesting ideas - but maybe I'll pass, given all of the frustrations I've already had with these little devils.

Part 104 –Oyster Dredge Cont’d

My plans were to have one of the dredges sitting on the deck, and one hanging off the side.  After more thought, this wouldn’t be very practical if I’m going to transport the model.  The hanging dredge would likely sway back and forth, and would wind up damaging the side planks or worse.  So I decided to be practical and install both dredges on the deck.  

The net made of rings has already been discussed. The next and last item that needed to be made was the rope net.  Trying to make the net from scratch was another source of frustration, so I had to look for alternatives.  The best alternative wound up being the net from a laundry bag used for delicate clothing. Here are a couple of photos of the finished dredge.

1262.thumb.jpg.9aa57c420fe91ecb432dfca7ab7865d4.jpg

1263.thumb.jpg.43999ca0cd3c987c36f366da8764fc9d.jpg

After attaching the dredges to the ‘cable’ coming off the dredge winder, the dredges were epoxied to the deck.

1264.thumb.jpg.765bff16088d79f15f175c5a59ca248b.jpg

1265.thumb.jpg.f3b78552948cde0337501e7477720b0c.jpg

This completes the work on the model.

Since I’ll likely be bringing Kathryn to a meeting of the San Diego Ship Modelers Guild, I’ll need to make sure there are no other components that may be affected by travel.

I’ll share some photographs of the finished Kathryn in my next post.

Beautifully done, Frank. Small point (and it may just be the photograph); the netting looks too bright. Congratulations on a lovely model.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

4 hours ago, druxey said:

Beautifully done, Frank. Small point (and it may just be the photograph); the netting looks too bright. Congratulations on a lovely model.

Thanks Druxey.  I did dye the netting, but it might still be a little bright.  However, when you look at the whole model it doesn't stand out too much.

4 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

Congratulations on finishing this beautiful model, Frank!

John

Thanks John.  It feels good to finally be 'finished'.  Now on to the next one!

2 hours ago, ccoyle said:

That's gorgeous, Frank. Congratulations!

Thanks Chris.  Glad you like it!

1 hour ago, HIPEXEC said:

Unbelievable!! You are an amazing ship builder. Great job! :champagne:

Rich

Thanks Rich.  I try.  😉

the dredges look awesome Frank........took you on quite a ride there! ;)   you've built a splendid model......lots of really neat detail.  look'in forward to your next project 👍

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Beautiful build Frank,

and congratulations to this lovely boat

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Congratulations!  Excellent work!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Thanks everyone for the comments, 'likes', and support during my Kathryn build.  Here are a few photos of the completed model.

1266.thumb.jpg.f4b43ae2a93da2684b6c1b30e36390b7.jpg1267.thumb.jpg.6424d2fcf85be01e6f7f605972bdcb3a.jpg1268.thumb.jpg.e53bfc7e38c7683246e5c919d3cbff5b.jpg1269.thumb.jpg.d2069f8db930cfa80a0c2641a42b0276.jpg1270.thumb.jpg.14c2ce4ba084d59b6e407dbdbd47661f.jpg1271.thumb.jpg.91706de383f76d6b4eea160b3db4daef.jpg1272.thumb.jpg.d850d1cf9fd62e595711aee5e9134d7c.jpg 

I've started doing some CAD work for my next model - the J.T. Leonard oyster sloop.  I hope to start a build log soon.

Hi Frank

Ahhhh...I can see it now.  

“Grandad?

Yes son?

Can you please unfurl those sails?

Errr...”

I jest of course, Frank, but those furled sails looks absolutely fabulous.  

Congrats, once again.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

beautiful boat Frank........amazing quality in your hand made parts :)   very well done!  looking forward in seeing the Leonard.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Beautiful model, Frank.  Wonderful workmanship and attention to detail.  Love it.

Ed

Frank,

First class, well done. Obviously not a working dredger no sacks, oysters, culling boards and irons and no mud. :D KUDOS on a fine build.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

On 7/24/2019 at 6:35 AM, Omega1234 said:

I jest of course, Frank, but those furled sails looks absolutely fabulous.  

Congrats, once again.

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks Patrick - but I don't think I'll be making sails again.

On 7/24/2019 at 6:52 AM, popeye the sailor said:

beautiful boat Frank........amazing quality in your hand made parts :)   very well done!  looking forward in seeing the Leonard.

Thanks Popeye.  The JTL will be interesting when compared to skipjacks.

On 7/24/2019 at 1:17 PM, FriedClams said:

Sweet piece of work Frank!  Congratulations on its completion.  Beautiful model.

Gary

Thanks Gary.

21 hours ago, EdT said:

Beautiful model, Frank.  Wonderful workmanship and attention to detail.  Love it.

Ed

Thanks Ed.  I've tried to apply what I've learned from watching your work since I started modeling.

19 hours ago, dvm27 said:

Would look great in any maritime museum, Frank. Well done!

Thanks Greg.  I've actually been thinking that at some point I might offer the Kathryn to CBMM.

29 minutes ago, John Allen said:

Frank,

First class, well done. Obviously not a working dredger no sacks, oysters, culling boards and irons and no mud. :D KUDOS on a fine build.

Thanks John.  I guess you could say this is how she looks at the start of each oystering season, before the paint dries. 

Fantastic is all I can say after spending the last two evenings reading you log. I wish I could pick on thing to say is the best part, but there are no best parts of the ship. Simply fantastic!!!! 

Will

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

5 hours ago, JerryTodd said:

As someone that's worked on these boats, you've done a beautiful job capturing one; albeit, a little cleaner than I remember :)

Thanks Jerry.  I admire folks like yourself who have actually worked on these boats.  I have a good friend who is an experienced waterman (and an excellent modeler) who has been a great source of info during the project.

1 hour ago, niwotwill said:

Fantastic is all I can say after spending the last two evenings reading you log. I wish I could pick on thing to say is the best part, but there are no best parts of the ship. Simply fantastic!!!! 

Will

Thanks Will.  I think when you see Kathryn in person you'll probably pick out some things that are NOT the best parts!