Jim Lad

Meteor by Jim Lad - Scale 1:96 - Immigrant Ship Of 1851

Another small update - the last transom is in and a filling piece has been fitted under the transoms.  This will be the last update for a while as I won't be in the museum for the next two weeks.

John

954437794_109885-Meteor.thumb.JPG.27c4f38a66a7b9e37f9db7bbd85bf135.JPG

267846288_109886-Meteor.thumb.JPG.18a186cdbe9f19a69b30703b3a20f225.JPG

Posted (edited)

Looks really good, John. I can see the apparent crookedness of the transom was an optical delusion on my part because it's made of two beams angled to each other, not a single one at right angles. 

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

A little bit more to show.  It might not look like much, but I've been busily fairing and sanding the inside of the lower hull preparatory to fitting the keelson and some stringers to stiffen the structure.  I now feel like I'm starting to get somewhere - but probably won't achieve much on Monday; being Easter Monday the museum will probably be crowded with visitors.

John

DSC05923.thumb.JPG.674f15d5fd5e8f5ae50ed66b089da18a.JPG

DSC05925.thumb.JPG.3335f0e1d6da5c7c1d3f1202ac2c5e00.JPG

DSC05926.thumb.JPG.228a2f90176cd8400c049a4663782cc1.JPG

Thanks, Pat, but the whole reason for us being there is to interact with visitors.  When they re-worked our modelling space a few years ago the museum offered us a glass partition, but we refused as there would be no real point in being there if we couldn't talk to people.

John

Sounds like you are a victim of your own success. It's good to know that folk want to ask questions and engage you in conversation. Potentially there could be a new ship modeler or two as a result....

Very elegant John, and how nice for the museum visitors to actually see the model being created and get to interact with you. With all the frames in place this fragile curvy symmetry is certainly impressive. 

Thanks for looking in, Druxey and Vaddoc.  The model makers bench has been a very popular exhibit at the museum for many years - I'm not sure just how long, but certainly since prior to 1999.  

John

I've been a bit slack with updates, I'm afraid, but there's a little more progress to show.  'Meteor' is now sporting a keelson and a pair of stringers on each side of the hull.  These will all now have to be dowelled and properly cleaned up as they will be visible on the completed model if I go ahead with my current plan to only partially plank the hull.

Once that's done I can think about completing the stern framing and giving the outside of the hull some final fairing up before I start to think about planking.

DSC05930.thumb.JPG.4473b20a827db84edfacb24f87ea65a5.JPG

DSC05931.thumb.JPG.96fdb53abaf0dd5b7f03517020704b11.JPG

John

5 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Beautiful work, John. This build is a pleasure to follow. I'll have to find an excuse to come up and see the modelmaker's bench in operation in Sydney . . .

Steven

Ditto to the above John, except that I was actually at the museum last week and saw Meteor in the flesh :) . Unfortunately it was on Friday and you weren't there :( .

Danny

1 hour ago, Jim Lad said:

Thanks Steven and Danny.  I hope you also noticed 'Stag' and 'Frances Pritt' on the shelf, Danny! :)

John

Of course :D . Unfortunately there were NO modellers in attendance while we were there - I was expecting to see Richard as his model was on the bench.

Danny

Another small update.  Some of my time at the museum lately has been taken up with things other than modelling, but I've been continuing to work slowly on the internal cleaning up of the hull.  In the photo below you can see that the starboard side has had a lot of work done on it, but the port side is still awaiting attention.  She'll get there eventually!

John

101881206_113148-Meteor.thumb.JPG.d8f68dcf295a5763cf32a64936b86ed0.JPG