Meteor by Jim Lad - Scale 1:96 - Immigrant Ship Of 1851

Looks really good, John. I can see the apparent crookedness of the transom was an optical delusion on my part because it's made of two beams angled to each other, not a single one at right angles. 

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

• 1 month later...

A little bit more to show.  It might not look like much, but I've been busily fairing and sanding the inside of the lower hull preparatory to fitting the keelson and some stringers to stiffen the structure.  I now feel like I'm starting to get somewhere - but probably won't achieve much on Monday; being Easter Monday the museum will probably be crowded with visitors.

John

DSC05923.thumb.JPG.674f15d5fd5e8f5ae50ed66b089da18a.JPG

DSC05925.thumb.JPG.3335f0e1d6da5c7c1d3f1202ac2c5e00.JPG

DSC05926.thumb.JPG.228a2f90176cd8400c049a4663782cc1.JPG

Hello John - she is starting to show her lines - very nice. Hope Monday is a success.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Nice job on the fairing john, all looks nice and symmetrical.

You may need that 'cone of silence' on Monday ;) 

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks, Pat, but the whole reason for us being there is to interact with visitors.  When they re-worked our modelling space a few years ago the museum offered us a glass partition, but we refused as there would be no real point in being there if we couldn't talk to people.

John

Fairing is so time consuming and your results look very nice John.  Looking forward to watching your build progress.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Sounds like you are a victim of your own success. It's good to know that folk want to ask questions and engage you in conversation. Potentially there could be a new ship modeler or two as a result....

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Very elegant John, and how nice for the museum visitors to actually see the model being created and get to interact with you. With all the frames in place this fragile curvy symmetry is certainly impressive. 

Jim, the model makers bench is one of the first places I go when I visit, I'm thinking i'm due for another visit soon too

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a bit slack with updates, I'm afraid, but there's a little more progress to show.  'Meteor' is now sporting a keelson and a pair of stringers on each side of the hull.  These will all now have to be dowelled and properly cleaned up as they will be visible on the completed model if I go ahead with my current plan to only partially plank the hull.

Once that's done I can think about completing the stern framing and giving the outside of the hull some final fairing up before I start to think about planking.

DSC05930.thumb.JPG.4473b20a827db84edfacb24f87ea65a5.JPG

DSC05931.thumb.JPG.96fdb53abaf0dd5b7f03517020704b11.JPG

John

5 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Beautiful work, John. This build is a pleasure to follow. I'll have to find an excuse to come up and see the modelmaker's bench in operation in Sydney . . .

Steven

Ditto to the above John, except that I was actually at the museum last week and saw Meteor in the flesh :) . Unfortunately it was on Friday and you weren't there :( .

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

1 hour ago, Jim Lad said:

Thanks Steven and Danny.  I hope you also noticed 'Stag' and 'Frances Pritt' on the shelf, Danny! :)

John

Of course :D . Unfortunately there were NO modellers in attendance while we were there - I was expecting to see Richard as his model was on the bench.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Very nice John, a great looking frame on which to plank.  A very interesting subject to model.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 3 weeks later...

Now, this museum seems to be a hot spot. Down under is unfortunately a bit far from Cambridgeshire, otherwise I d love to drop by John!

very good progress on your Meteor John :)   had a good chuckle concerning critter corner ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Another small update.  Some of my time at the museum lately has been taken up with things other than modelling, but I've been continuing to work slowly on the internal cleaning up of the hull.  In the photo below you can see that the starboard side has had a lot of work done on it, but the port side is still awaiting attention.  She'll get there eventually!

John

101881206_113148-Meteor.thumb.JPG.d8f68dcf295a5763cf32a64936b86ed0.JPG