18th Century Longboat by Dharma66 - Model Shipways - 1:48

Hello!

This will be my first build log of my first wooden ship model. The box arrived today, and I've checked over the inventory list, and all is ok.

As this is my first ever wooden model build, I will be doing it out of the box, especially as there are some challenging parts for a beginner!

First thoughts? It's tiny. I knew it would be small, but it's tiny!

I've taken a load of photos of work so far (very little!), but can't for the life of me figure out how to post them (I'm on an iPad). When I work it out I'll add them...

Phil

Current (first) build: 18th Century Longboat

First thing I found when I did my build log was that there is a size limit on photos.  2 mb I believe and 1600 pixel x 900 pixels. Don't quote me on that but I'm sure someone will know the correct answer.  Once I shrunk my picture file size I was able to attach pictures.

Good luck on the build.  I think I'll pull up a chair for this one.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Got it!

Bit of a palaver, but here's the first pics.

first the box...

image.jpeg.9ab53b5b4160d81321edc5a62e70571d.jpeg

And the contents ...

image.jpeg.3eb370b96123809fc4403e896e89f82e.jpeg

I found a new use for my iPad...as a backlight to check for tight dry-fit joints...

image.thumb.jpeg.1a86060f7a4567b8ddd323d6f3d0ed00.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.24082a3488a6e34b1617c55f0ac96ee1.jpeg

Todays progress amounts nuts to the rabbet, bearding and keel assembly. Just need to resize the photo...here we go:

image.jpeg.a5b65bc43b5ca1480df7db9af711ee16.jpeg

Tomorrow I'll dry fit the bulkheads/frames and see if I can find my small engineers squares...I fear I may need to buy a couple.

Oh and small clamps. I thought I had small clamps, but they are ENORMOUS compared to this model. Anyone know a good source of genuinely teeny clamps in the UK?

Phil

Test fitted, tweaked and glued the bulkheads today. Almost all of the bulkheads wanted to sit forward and high starboard, low and aft port side, so it took a little filing and repeated test fitting to get them to sit true without straining (with a tiny amount of force) against the clamps. Just two or three strokes with a file in the top right corner of the bulkhead slot was enough for most. None required this more than twice.

Bulhead two leans back by 2-3 degrees. My bad clamping. I haven't decided yet whether to try to remove and reseat it, or let it pass, I'm not used to de gluing such tiny things, and I'm concerned about breakage...I suspect it will stay as-is, and serve as a reminder to check roll, pitch and yaw several times each...

In theory I have time tomorrow to make a start on fairing... I may be slow, but I'll post photos of where I get to.

On another note, I seem to have rather unexpectedly gained approval from the Admiralty to move indoors, into a permanent installation! This would be a big step forward, as my garage "workspace" - which is still not completely cleared of obstacles - is cold, draughty and dirty. So with any luck, I'll be knocking up (or maybe just buying) a new workbench in the spare bedroom sometime soon :)

Phil

I would suggest gently wiggling the bulkhead forward and aft while holding the keel to remove it. You need all the bulkheads square before planking. After you free the bulkhead you can gently file the excess glue and reset the bulkhead. I used Elmers wood glue throughout. It makes redoing things a lot easier. (I did this a lot!)

Steve

Thanks Steve, you're right of course. I did think a couple of degrees could be accommodated by making sure  everything is faired properly. But even if it could be, the only thing I'd ever see would be that one slightly wonky frame...

We don't (to the best of my knowledge) have Elmers in the UK, and I'm not sure what the equivalent is.

For other woodworking jobs, I'd normally use Titebond, which is, as the name implies, a very strong glue. For this, I went with plain old white woodworkers glue, so hopefully it will come away ok.

Phil

Quick update.

I did as Steve suggested and prised and wiggled the bulkhead free. I did this straight after it was suggested so the glue hadn't time to fully cure.

The next morning I cleared off the residue and reattached. I'm much happier with it. Unfortunately I've not had time to do anymore since, and may not get time before weekend :(

Phil

If you can learn from my mistakes, I'm good with that! It would have worked also to remove it after the glue dried, but yes, I'm sure it was easier before it dried. Look forward to more updates and photos. It's a difficult kit. Take your time and redo what you're not happy with. 

Steve

Phil,

I am glad to find your build log of the longboat.

Just take it easy, don't rush..... (mine took almost three years to complete)

And I see another member here as well building the longboat, don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 4 weeks later...

Just a brief update.

I have, I believe, finally completed fairing. Work suddenly went crazy, and a couple of other time consuming things occurred, but I think I finally have it where I'm happy, including fairing of the transom, which was attached after the bulkhead/frames were done.

I've been reading a lot about approaches to planking, and trying to get the corsage to commence in the few bits of time I've had.

i expect life to calm down a little in a few weeks, so I'm unlikely to do anything before then, as I want to have a clear head and a few clear hours to set off in the right direction.

Phil