Well....its a bit slanted to say the least.    Currently we have a like system.  Every time someone likes something you write or post it gets added to your reputation.   Now we do have a way to allow someone to give both a negative and positive rating to a post......or topic but that was frowned upon and so now only positive "likes" are available.

Chuck

People are funny about this.....there are pros and cons...but too many make it into a contest.....I can remove the display of reputation on profiles.....see to the left.  It is no longer visible.    But aside from folks reading too much into what reputation means I can set it up any way you guys would like.

I can turn it back on to display in your profiles......I could set it up to allow both positive and negative clicks on every post and topic.   Its up to you guys.  But if its going to be a distraction because its taken to seriously...with people worrying why they may have a low number and others have a high number etc....I can just leave it hidden.  But still allow folks to "like" stuff.

No problem...just want to amke sure everyone understands what it means and what possibilities we have for its use.

Hi Chuck,

My vote would be to leave it turned off.  Why: as you say people look at this 'subjective' field and assume things/make interpretations for the wrong reasons and assume too many things.  If based on likes, how does that build reputation?  A member can make/receive many likes based on generic comments but that does not make that member a better or more reliable (accuracy/quality of response) member to contact as "reputation" could be interpreted in many ways.  At the moment it would be set to indicate a type of popularity but does that make a reputation better?

Just as with the number of posts made by a member; some members may be very active online, but have little to actually contribute that enhances reputation for research (quality of information) or for build techniques, other than comment on things general, whereas another member has minimal posts, but the reliability and the quality imparted by that member is of a very high standard.

So it begs the question - what is "reputation"?

Better not to show these things I believe?  just one opinion.

cheers

Pat

I actually agree with you 100% Pat.   I shall wait a bit however....as I dont want to rush the decision and would rather wait to hear from more members.  If the many more folks feel as we do then yes I will certainly turn it off.

Its kind of why we dont have those silly ranks.   Remember!!!!   We had guys posting nonsense just to get to another rank based on activity.  Let us see how the gang here feels.  It takes but 30 seconds for me to switch it off.

I agree off as well to a certain extent.  I think it should be available to like a post only in so much as the poster gets to see that you appreciate his/her post and not to contribute to a total count. There are many times I wanted to acknowledge a posters comment without offering my own comment therefore I "like" the post so they know I read and appreciate it.  I agree the Reputation should be turned off.  I also agree with the thought that the number of posts should be removed from the poster's icon.  To me it implies seniority, if that makes sense.  I look at a poster and think that he/she is a newby or he/she is a long time contributor but neither should detract from the posting topic.  Both may be just as relevant.  Perhaps the statistics could be removed from the icon but placed on their profile if someone was really curious to see it.

1 hour ago, BANYAN said:

Just as with the number of posts made by a member; some members may be very active online, but have little to actually contribute that enhances reputation for research (quality of information) or for build techniques, other than comment on things general, whereas another member has minimal posts, but the reliability and the quality imparted by that member is of a very high standard.

So it begs the question - what is "reputation"?

I think Pat put it exactly right. The really important concept here is quality of contribution and neither number of posts or likes has anything to do with that.

I definitely think likes should be turned off and the whole idea of trying to rate "reputation" abandoned. Members will know valuable contribution when they see it.

I'm torn about number of posts however. I have been a member of MSW for years but have few posts for a number of reasons. I only have one completed model in my signature, a novice one at that, but I have many more in various stages of completion and have many learned many lessons and tricks that I believe would be of benefit to MSW members. Up until recently, career and family have kept me from my workshop and making contributions to the forums, but I am retired now and am getting back to it in a major way. I only have 12 posts and sometimes feel impelled to increase this number simply so people won't assume I'm a total novice. But I don't want to make non-useful posts for the sake of increasing my number; I want to post something only when it makes a meaningful contribution. Not showing the number of posts would eliminate my concern, but on the other hand, I appreciate the insight into other members that their number of posts provides me. You can't help but subconsciously assign greater knowledge and credibility to long-time members with thousands of posts. I guess in the end I would come down on the side of continuing to show the number of posts.      

I must admit that in the years of using this software, I'd never heard of anyone being compelled to make more posts just so that they don't appear to be an apparent novice. 

The post count system here is as it was on the previous incarnation of this software, and isn't able to be removed at all. 

On Friday, March 03, 2017 at 5:25 PM, Ulises Victoria said:

Hello admins.

I am curious about how "community reputation" is quantified. ???

Thanks

I think that by disabling this feature, this forum a lot to lose. User activity will be less.It will be difficult to assess who is active and who is just a passive observer.This is my humble opinion on the subject.:)

Pawel

10 minutes ago, tadheus said:

I think that by disabling this feature, this forum a lot to lose. User activity will be less.It will be difficult to assess who is active and who is just a passive observer.This is my humble opinion on the subject.:)

Pawel

Agreed. I would like to see this feature, but seems we are minority :(

Just to clarify, the number of posts is staying no matter what, the only question is whether to keep the "reputation" market that counted all the "likes" you've gotten?

Number of posts is useful to assess member participation. No single metric is fair; an admin who doesn't post a lot may look like "less" of a member than a really verbose member who posts lots of "attaboy" comments. But it's still a useful basic metric. It's not up for debate, but I'd keep it even if it was.

The "reputation" can be turned off in my opinion; I don't think it really adds anything to my understanding of members' contributions. "Likes" are useful for quietly showing approval without cluttering up threads, but they don't need to be counted up beyond their immediate impact.

Hi,

I will be the "lone voice in the wilderness" who believes that the reputation or  "likes" statistics should be reinstated.  I've carefully read all the opinions in this topic agree with almost all of them.  Looking at a "likes" as score by itself is meaningless.  However, it is the RATIO of likes to posts where the usefulness lies.  A member whose posts are mostly gratuitous and congratulatory will be far less likely to generate a "like" as one with meaningful content.  It can serve as hint as to how much value a particular member might add and how much I might want to look at their other posts.  If one were to go back (now impossible) and look at the ratio of "likes" to posts, all the obvious major contributors of real content have ratios of 3, 4, 5, times (or more) of likes to posts.  The more content the site generates, the more important it is to me to have an indication of where to focus my attention.

Best,

John

Even with a poll whats the point Mark.   As you know depending on what we do, a portion of members wlll not be happy about the outcome.  Some more vocal and whiny than others.   Its such an insignificant feature that rather than stir the pot.....just forget it ever existed.

At some point you just have to say......dont sweat the small stuff.   The staff gets hate mail when we go one way......and hate mail when we go the other.    There are just too many "get off my lawn" types that wont be satisfied with one outcome or the other and complain to each other about it no matter how insignificant the feature might be.  Its easier to just leave it it be as we didnt have it in the last version.  Mark you remember what it was like as you were once a moderator.......

"That button used to be on the left.......now its on the right.........whats wrong with you guys.........get off my lawn"   Do you remember getting those PM's?  Five minutes later you would get another.....from someone different "Why did you switch that button back to the left....I liked it on the right....whats wrong with you guys.....get off my lawn".  :)

Chuck

Ratings or rankings or whatever I don't think are so great.  Another forum I frequent has automatic rankings based on number of posts or something.  They're a little silly and we have had a chuckle or two about some of the rankings, but our minds are not quite in the rarified air of this forum.  Over there are 'active members', for instance.  I and some of the other low-brows are 'Well-Known' members.

Moderators, feel free to delete this is it is offensive.  I mean it in a humorous way.

I agree Joel 100%...Its all a bit silly.  And I thank you for saying so.  Lets concentrate on Model Ships instead.   And I dont mean to offend those that really like the silliness.   Its just some are so serious about the silliness.  Life is too short.

I agree with the administrators.  Who cares how many likes I have.  Not me.  I often use "likes" to let somebody know I have responded to something they wrote.  They may be in the same boat (so to speak) as I am that they do not get email alerts.  I occasionally get like for making a humorous remark that in no way reflects my ship model building knowledge/acumen.  Those likes mean nothing. 

Posts are almost as meaningless.  Some people are very chatty and share things, comment on things and are very sociable.  Others are curmudgeonly and don't comment as much.  What do you know about each of those people simply by looking at post numbers?  I have seen some people who have low post numbers but are very knowledgeable in their responses.

As Otherchuck said, let's not get wrapped around the windlass with posts and likes.  If you look at enough of a person's posts, you can tell if they know what they are talking about or not.