Santa Maria by mtbediz - FINISHED - handmade kit by a friend

On 23.06.2017 at 4:51 PM, mrcc said:

Looks good!

Are you going to stain the masts or leave them natural?

Thanks Julian. I was not planning to stain anything on this model but i have been considering lately. I need to learn how to do first :)

Great looking barrels, nice job.  Really like the chains for the deadeyes as it's given me an idea how to do mine.  My kit has just brass strip which is not authentic so I'll try making up some of my own.

Very hot here at the moment, how is it with you.

Cheers

Nigel

Current Build - HMS Victory, Caldercraft - scale  1:64,  started September 2021

Cutty Sark, Constructo - scale 1:115, finished August 2021

HMS Bounty, Constructo - Scale 1:50 - First wooden kit build, finished April 2019

40 minutes ago, leginseel said:

Great looking barrels, nice job.  Really like the chains for the deadeyes as it's given me an idea how to do mine.  My kit has just brass strip which is not authentic so I'll try making up some of my own.

Hello Nigel. Thank you? I live in Kayseri which is a city in the central Anatolia. It is hot here too but because of less humidity, you do not feel high temperature in closed places.

Have a good day.

Kayseri is a nice place.  I visited a few years ago on my way back from Cappadocia and bought some lovely Sucuk. 

Cheers

Nigel

HMS Bounty, Constructo - Scale 1:50 - First wooden kit build, finished April 2019

3 hours ago, leginseel said:

Hi Nigel,

If you need brass wire here is the link;

http://www.metalal.net/Pirinc-Duz-Tel-Kg,PR-6556.html

Thanks for the link for the wire.  The pumps looked great before but I agree with you that these look better.  Great work.

Cheers

Nigel

I really like your enthusiasm. Even though i dont like the way the old ships looked like, the work you doing is very neat and you did great job altogether. And i love the way you did the barels. Also tung oil have put the decks into next level(visualy)

keep up good work.

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

Regarding to stain or not, I have found on my Eagle I am using white maple, walnut, cherry, and the occasional piece of boxwood. i found covering everything with coating of a light stain, puts all the wood into the same color pallet and unifies the look of the woods while still allowing the beauty of the various woods to show through.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, maaaslo said:

Just a question

shouldnt you put this into scratch built? I mean you have plans but have scratch built everything apart from gun barrels...

Hi Pav. Thanks for visiting my log. This is my first build. Yes, it was a handmade kit at the beginning that my friend prepared for me. But it turned into a scratch build in time. The kit consisted of keel, bulkheads, masts, deadeyes, some strips for deck and hull planking and some plastic accessories. I decided not to use accessories in the kit and i am making them myself:) 

Have a good day,

Mustafa