USF Confederacy by elainedouglas (Douglas Chan) - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64 - First wooden ship build - Starting 31 December 2016

Hi guys ! This is Douglas from Hong Kong !

After building plastic models for years, I packed enough courage to start a brand new thing in my modelling life. This is really a new thing to me. I learnt a lot so far, and thank you Kerry at Vancouver for recommending the kit and teaching me.

I will post progress photos here. I guess it would take me years to finish this model.  

Please do give me comments, so I could learn and improve.

Lintels on.

It is said in the instruction that "each lintel should be perfectly level and flat". So I used an engineer's square to do so. Not sure if I interpreted it right. (at first I thought the lintels should be perpendicular to the stern frames)

Will be some hard work to fair the area before adding the sills.

20170313_225852.jpg

20170313_225722.jpg

20170313_225912.jpg

20170313_232718.jpg

I will be pulling up a chair as well. I have the same kit, but am waiting for new bulkhead former since the one in my kit was warped

Kenny

Current Builds:   HMS Winchelsea   MS US Frigate Confederacy

On Hold: Continental Frigate Raleigh 1777

Completed Builds: MS 18th Century Longboat   Dinghy - Midwest Kit    H.M.S Triton Cross Section 1/48   Chesapeake Bay Flattie - Midwest Kit

Future Builds: MS English Pinnace;  OcCre Endurance;  Revenue Cutter Cheerful

I'll echo what the other folks have said - looks good so far.  Nice job on making the necessary adjustments early on.  Well done.

hi Douglas. great progress thus far. I was in Hong Kong earlier last year, I LOVED your city! what an amazing place. I spend some time trying to locate a hobbies shop that sold wooden ship models and did not find any. is there one that I missed? most of my evenings were spent on the restaurants by temple Pear St market. I wish some company would build a kit of a Star Ferry boat, i would build that in a second.  anyhow, I hope to be back there next summer.. ill follow your build. 

Juan P. 

18 hours ago, JPAM said:

hi Douglas. great progress thus far. I was in Hong Kong earlier last year, I LOVED your city! what an amazing place. I spend some time trying to locate a hobbies shop that sold wooden ship models and did not find any. is there one that I missed? most of my evenings were spent on the restaurants by temple Pear St market. I wish some company would build a kit of a Star Ferry boat, i would build that in a second.  anyhow, I hope to be back there next summer.. ill follow your build. 

Juan P. 

Thank you Juan !

Hong Kong is a very crowded small place. Everything is handy here, shops, restaurants, like many big cities. However, we are short of space. Say, you can't find big park with grass land here. No ponds for R/C boats. Not to mention R/C planes. Isn't it sad ? Haha.

There are some hobby shops at Mongkok in the Kowloon side, airsoft guns, plastics models, R/C cars, drones, but no wooden ship models. Once, around 15 years ago, Artesania Latina kits were available at Sogo department store at Causeway Bay, and two other hobby shops. But it is no longer available. I think you could hardly find modelers here, who is into this subject. With such a low demand no one would do this business. Lucky that internet ties up model shops/manufacturers together, or I won't be able to build this.

As far as I know, there is no Star Ferry kit available. I know some who build high speed HK-China boat models by themselves, but no Star Ferry, yet. If you make one from scratch, yours would be the first ! Think about it.

Regards,

Douglas

p.s. Just did a search at YouTube, there is one Star Ferry model at Taiwan and another one at Vancourver.