SS Michelangelo 1962 by shipmodel - FINISHED - 1/350 scale

I have enjoyed the journey tremendously. I love the detail you've managed to get into the parts of the ship like the ensign post ... the thin brass rod, the PE used for the antennas, the 3D printed grating around the funnels ... marvelous. A pitty it has ended. Hope to see another new superb build by you. Thank you for sharing

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

To paraphrase the old TV commercial ad: "Is it the real ship or is it Memorx?"

Seems like every build you do raises the bar, Dan.   And they also show how to raise our own bars.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

An interesting and enjoyable build to follow Dan; you can be justifiably proud of your efforts - she looks great!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again to all, and thank you all for staying with me on this journey of the SS Michelangelo project which ends with this final segment.   My efforts are now focused on the next project, the USS/SS Leviathan, which you can follow by clicking on the new link in my signature, below.

As the last segment ended I had made up and installed the three types of lights around the ship.  The final detail was the rigging.  This was fairly simple and consisted of only two types, the stays and the radio antenna. 

1.thumb.jpg.50e20f04a0f652a5da19674cbdcf8b6f.jpg

The stays were of three different weights, but all were made up in the same way.  The lowest shrouds for the two masts and their forestays were done with Accu-Flex stainless steel beading wire in 0.0095” diameter, while the middle backstays were done in the slightly smaller 0.007” diameter.  Despite these small sizes they are each laid up from 7 strands of stainless steel wire wrapped in a clear plastic coating.  They look like metal because they are metal.  The uppermost backstays and the lifts for the spars are made from silver fly tying line, about 0.005”. 

Each line was secured with a scale turnbuckle made from a small piece of brass tubing.  The line was fed through the body of the turnbuckle, then through a small eyebolt twisted up from iron wire, then back through the turnbuckle tube.  After the shaft of the eyebolt is glued in place the wire is pulled taut and the tube slid down to lock it in place.  Then it is simply glued and the excess line clipped off and the turnbuckle painted silver.  For size comparison, the background is a normal paper towel with its embossed pattern.

1a.jpg.ecfaeb1d48525d312a8222d00d15f722.jpg

Here is the finished model with the stays installed.  The radio lines are black so they do not show up here.

2.jpg.eebc228d87194a557c92b768a8f647c6.jpg

Taking a tour of the ship, here is the forward half with the winches, hatches, and cargo cranes of the bow working deck.

3.jpg.d0d10a6a024a878e5795b6759b474e5b.jpg

The midships area has the main pool, the boats, and those 3-D printed cages for the funnels.

4.jpg.d880908bc49238197e04e92909912044.jpg

And the stern, with the two smaller pools and the numerous complicated light poles.

5.jpg.f74a47c82c61ce62f4af124383c1e2e8.jpg

Viewed from dead astern I can see just a little wobble in the upper green stripe, but overall I am quite happy with her.

6.jpg.9f0ee8fba7cd4849c7341d80e7bb99bc.jpg

And of course, the obligatory shot from low on the bow.

7.jpg.7d9046a0f96d013de7894b5cc2be4b2e.jpg

The final decision was how to display and case her.  I located a nice mahogany case on line and had it shipped from Vietnam.  The shiny aluminum pedestals nicely set off the colors of the model, but the light maple wood base that I first selected just did not go.  It did not match any of the colors, and made the model look too high in the case.

8.thumb.jpg.41d95c4d98029a4f12c3d3faf5c64c02.jpg

Instead, I refinished the base to match the mahogany case and the results were, I think, a significant improvement.

9.thumb.jpg.164d26838992042598af467b28c76a32.jpg

So now it is ready to motor off to someone else’s collection.  I will be contacting brokers who deal in ship models to see if there is any interest.  Frankly, my wife will not mind if it does not sell.  She thinks it looks perfect on our sideboard.  I have to agree, though I say it who shouldn’t.

10.JPG.296725c46908098e4680b3fe2d15d466.JPG

Meanwhile, I will be posting my progress on the Leviathan project.  If you enjoyed this journey with me, I invite your participation, comments and suggestions on that one, as always.

And as always, be well.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Congratulations, Dan. I agree that the light maple base drew the eye too much away from the model. A good decision to stain it. Well done all round.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I really like your solution to the base, Dan.  Understatement, there, is best because it really allows the model to shine, and shine she does!  

I am sure that you will not have any difficulty finding a buyer for her.  Congratulations on a job well done!

Edited by Hubac's Historian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

A beautiful model well executed Dan.  you can be justifiably proud of this one; not to imply your other work is any less well deserving.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Dan, Great job and it really came out exquisite with all the details! Ken

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Thank you all.  Your appreciation is highly appreciated and treasured.

I am happy to have entertained you and perhaps added one or two tricks to your toolbox.  I know that I learned a great deal during this project, both from the subject herself, the technical puzzles, and from the great friends that I have here.

See you at the Leviathan drydock.

Be well

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Congratulation Dan, I concur that the dark colour of the base works better than the light colour. A superb model and display case all round.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 3 months later...

Hi Dan

One of the high priorities on my catch up list was to see how Michelangelo turned out. I have to say she is beautiful and only bettered by you detailed log of the build, very well done. I'm now heading off to have a look at Leviathan. 

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846