18th Century Longboat by KennyH78 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/48 Scale

Since I have finished my Triton cross section and am unsure of which kit I want to start at the moment (Model Shipways Confederacy or Lumberyard's USF Raleigh (Hahn plans)), I figured I'd at lease start to build the 18th Century Longboat kit that I have.  I've already cut the false keel from the laser cut parts sheet and cut the rabbet and then glued the stem and keel to the false keel.  Once that was dry, I went ahead and stained the assymbly with some Golden Oak stain.  Once that is dry, it will be time to glue on the bulkheads.

IMG_0951.thumb.JPG.d5504e920cb2128ea27eeb3865921c10.JPGIMG_0958.thumb.JPG.6bd305cc7f9f07afa531603ea2ffbb05.JPG

Kenny

Current Builds:   HMS Winchelsea   MS US Frigate Confederacy

On Hold: Continental Frigate Raleigh 1777

Completed Builds: MS 18th Century Longboat   Dinghy - Midwest Kit    H.M.S Triton Cross Section 1/48   Chesapeake Bay Flattie - Midwest Kit

Future Builds: MS English Pinnace;  OcCre Endurance;  Revenue Cutter Cheerful

Glad to have you all along for the ride.  I got the bulkheads glued on.  Took my time to ensure that they are as straight and correct as they should be.  Going to let that dry up for till at least tomorrow, may even wait until Tuesday before I start the fairing process just to ensure that the wood glue has enough time to cure up.  Anyways, here are the pictures of how she currently sits.

IMG_0965.thumb.JPG.646f428774186c63ba84091706a58812.JPGIMG_0966.thumb.JPG.16127bcf829f40573e9d8f662d5e39eb.JPGIMG_0968.thumb.JPG.bd157e2365c933c7a1f6ab751ecc8c72.JPG

Kenny

Completed Builds: MS 18th Century Longboat   Dinghy - Midwest Kit    H.M.S Triton Cross Section 1/48   Chesapeake Bay Flattie - Midwest Kit

Hi Chap,

Have watched a couple of these builds, very interesting and I may have to get myself one in the not too distant future.

I'd like to follow also. :)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Kenny,

Warm welcome to the Longboat group.

I will follow along and just pulled up a chair, but where is the coffee?B)

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Well, I have a little progress to report.  After letting the glue dry on the bulkheads for a couple of days, I went to fair the hull.  I started sanding with 220 grit very lightly, but the basswood keel was letting the individual bulkheads move.  So in an attempt to stiffen it up, I grabbed some scrap basswood and glued them to the top of the bulkheads on the portion that will be cut away later.  I think that that will stiffen it up a lot and then I will be able to fair the hull properly.  Going to let that dry up and get to fairing the hull tomorrow.IMG_0974.thumb.JPG.a18b80f4beb231328d6005320c00820a.JPGIMG_0975.thumb.JPG.4982e7b4707ea614b292e189a1a7abe8.JPG

Kenny

Kenny,

Those stiffeners are necessary for the fairing of the bulkheads, they can break away easily otherwise.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

I pretty much came to that conclusion.  The instructions don't mention anything about stiffeners, but I felt that they needed to be added.

Kenny

Kenny,

I know it's not mentioned, it should.

I think the majority of us that build the longboat used the stiffeners.

Respectfully

I have some progress to report.  I got the hull faired, but not without breaking one bulkhead.  The repair was easy though, it was a clean break and easily glued back on.  I even have trouble finding the one that broke off.  I also got the transom piece installed and the bow fillers.  Those will be faired once the glue has had ample time to cure.  Anyways, here are the pictures.  As always, any and all comments are welcome.IMG_0976.thumb.JPG.f2dca41ae21e8890a01dd21f497210b6.JPGIMG_0977.thumb.JPG.abfdde7e9f3a19df4ae14362a58db101.JPGIMG_0978.thumb.JPG.12b424df1944bf7f62e238d8179b1e4c.JPGIMG_0979.thumb.JPG.88a2d995f5b7945f84f9c18e6aa34044.JPG

Kenny

I have a short progress report, planking of the hull has started.  I am taking my time with this and will post pics once the hull is planked.  I currently have 1 and 1/2 planks installed on the port and starboard sides.

Kenny

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to post a quick update.  I am still plugging away on the hull planking.  It is very slow going because I want to make sure that the planks are fitted right.  What I have been doing is soaking the planks in water and clamping them to the hull to dry.  Once they are dry, I then start the process of gluing them in place.  I will post some pictures once the hull planking is completed.  Please bear with me as this is a slow going process for me.

Kenny

• 6 years later...

I know that it has been a long time since my last post (6 years); but I finally found the time to pick up the long boat again.  I finished up the hull planking and I'm pretty happy with it especially since this is the first hull that I actually planked.  I also removed the center of the bulkheads and started the fairing process of the interior.  That is slow going since I am doing it by hand (to scared to try to use a Dremel).longboathull1.thumb.jpg.a2db7c189a59facdea0c5ae4d5e51d5a.jpglongboatinterior.thumb.jpg.12c0903a480af037dc1c90ea2e48de83.jpg

longboathull.thumb.jpg.c53f4887e65a7a9086031a4339b92a4d.jpg

Kenny

Got the insides of the frames sanded and faired.  Now to apply some finish to the hull inside and out and add the cap rail.

longboatinterior1.thumb.jpg.68d6934dc4dfa0a5d9ddc85219f2c78f.jpg

Kenny

Welcome back Kenny.  Your planking is spot on, kudos!!!   

The trouble with the frames is that, based on contemporary scantlings for a 30/32 foot long boat, they were moulded only about 2.5 inches at the head and sided about 2.75" (0.05" X 0.057") so difficult to work them to the proper size once the planking is done.  With the frames too thick the gunwale that sits on top of the frames will be too large.  It was likely about 3.5 broad by 3.75 deep so just covered the head of the frames and upper most strake of planking.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

A little more progress to report.  I finished sanding and fairing the interior of the frames and then stained the boat with golden oak.  Once that was dry, I made, installed and shaped the cap rail using the photocopy of the plans and cutting out a template of the rails.  Once the oversized rails were cut from the bass sheet, I glued them onto the model and shaped them to their final dimensions with some files and sanding blocks.  Then I added some red paint to the rails and the tops of the inside frames and some white paint to the bottom of the hull under the water line.  I just eyeballed it as to where I felt the waterline would be and used a thin piece of masking tape that I use for polishing guitar frets to get a straight line.  Next step is to add the painted frieze to the transom and sides.  Anyways, here are the pictures:

longboatcaprail.jpg.bade25f3abc03044398a4d5534070021.jpglongboatcaprail1.jpg.48fccfbb9d6f530104d03a3cc92fb6aa.jpglongboatcaprail2.jpg.a7face62eab229b1e13a95d30c2baa13.jpglongboathullpaint.jpg.d10f4416f7da46c80e94b8ac67e42fe4.jpglongboathullpaint1.jpg.b0ea4680c9e9b1f02a0b93f32f4a1d68.jpg

Kenny

Had about an hour or so to work on the longboat today, so I cut out and installed the frieze.  I sprayed the paper with the frieze on it with an acrylic sealer that I had in the garage.  Then I cut them out and glued them onto the longboat with ModPog glue.  Once that was done, I installed the rail under the frieze.  Once the glue was dry, I painted the rail white and then touched up any of the other painted areas as needed.

Longboat1.jpg.fd8597f46ee5d69161aeb70571c08261.jpgLongboat2.thumb.jpg.d311d1e8c8b43a1c91739874e8d1c4d2.jpglongboat3.thumb.jpg.b9439da2afac5059826931d4c4fdb5a5.jpglongboat4.thumb.jpg.068a7e44dffb02eac1e77041d07958ad.jpglongboat5.thumb.jpg.0816491758a1cd918b4463f0f93b7d0f.jpglongboat6.jpg.0c49da07dcee17756d6f54048a79ffd3.jpglongboat7.thumb.jpg.5da9886bd7e392efc5d0ed294072cd7a.jpglongboat8.jpg.99a2b365e1255096b9b24e3ee00b581b.jpg

Kenny

Nice model!

For the future, the painted bottom is usually from the water line down, the top being parallel to the ground and it is easy to do.  Mark the line then tape along the line with pinstriping tape.  This is pretty narrow so I then add a strip of painter's tape as well.   Once the tape is on tight, spray or hand paint a clear poly or some such.  Once dry this will seal the edge of the tape to minimize bleed through when you paint the bottom.  You can then hand paint (or spray if you cover the model where you don't want any paint.)   Example is below

Allan

IMG_3790.thumb.JPG.5653e1f52ad31619d677a0f731aef6d3.JPG

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allan,  thanks for the tip.  I will definitely do that the next time I have to paint a model below the water line. 

Kenny

Started work on the interior of the boat.  Got the floor boards, fore and aft deck and the rails installed.

longboatinterior1.thumb.jpg.a376ee282c2a33e43b09d6a213ad6b22.jpg

Kenny

Looking really good! 

Question, hope that is OK.  Did the kit give instructions for such a large gap between the keelson and four strakes of footwaling?  Seems like a rower could get his foot stuck between these.  I don't know the width of the model so hard to scale this gap, but if the breadth is about 9' ( 2.25" at scale) the gap looks to be around 4" (0.08").  I think the gap would be no more than what the openings on a grating would be, about 2.5"   Even so, your model looks super and the workmanship is neatly done.

Probably just a terminology thing, but I do not see any of the rails that you mention. 

You might find the attached useful for future boat builds.  These boat scantlings can be found in Scantlings of the Royal Navy which are a transcription of scantlings given in W.E. May's book The Boats of Men of War,

Again, very neatly done work, kudos!!

AllanBoat Scantlings 1-28-14.pdf

Edited by allanyed

5 hours ago, allanyed said:

Looking really good! 

Question, hope that is OK.  Did the kit give instructions for such a large gap between the keelson and four strakes of footwaling? 

My gap may be a little too large, the instructions only say to “Leave a consistent air space between each floor board.”

Kenny

Hi Kenny

I just looked at over forty high res contemporary plans of all types of English boats and only three showed cross sections that showed the keelson and only one had the footwaling.  The one with footwaling showed no spaces, just a line of where the outboard edges ended so it is anybody's guess what the space was.  between each strake.  The thickness and width of the keelson is found in scantlings and contracts but so far I have only found the thickness of the footwaling.  Like many things on board, common sense probably comes into play.  A gap small enough to prevent the rowers' feet from getting stuck between the footwaling would likely make the most sense.  I think, an inch, maybe two would be ideal.  Then again, maybe some member has information based on contemporary sources that give more details.

I realize it is not a long boat, but I thought you might find the following transcription of a contract for a pinnace and a yawl interesting.  Spelling is as on the original contract.   

Allan

Contracted the 9th of 7ber [September ] 90 with the Honoble Tho[mas] Willshaw, Esqre one of the Principall Officers  & Commrs of their  Majties Navy, for and behalf of their Maties, by me  Tho[mas] Oxford of Gosport Shipwright and I  doe hereby oblige my self to deliver into their Majties Stores at Portsmouth, by ye end of 8ber [October] next ensueing the  Pinnace and Yawle undermentioned  of the Dimensions and Scantlings folling  (viz)     

Long              Broad            Deep

Pinnace   of         30ft:   -----      6ft:  ------     2ft: 7ins   ------- One

Depth of the Keel: 5 ins  breadth 4 ins, Scantlings of the timbers 1 ½ ins Roome and space 13 ins,   depth of the Gunwales up & down 4½: ins  in and out 2 ins & 1½ in, Scarph of ye Timber 18 ins, breadth of ye Stem thwartships 3½ ins fore and aft 7 ins, Stern post 3ins, Rising 4½  in, footwales broad 4½ ins and one inch thick, Keelson 8 ins X 1½ in thick, to be fitted with 12 Iron Knees 5 bound thwarts wth Iron Knees & two Transom Knees, with gang boards) and Scarr boards [Wash boards?], benches three  lynings, Grounds  & mouldings, plankshires turn[e]d off,  back board one,  bottome boards two, Keel band 22 ft Ring bolts two,  Rother iron two paire, Rother one  once primed at the Rate of fourteen shillings per foot.

Yawle of        Long                            Broad                     Deep

ft                             ft

23 ft                               5   7 ins                  2    5 ins                  One

Railes for the upper strake to be made out of ye whole wood up & down Gunwales stuck,

3 thaurts bound with Iron knees, & ye transoms with two Iron knees.

The State Room (stern sheets, or officers’ seating area) stuck (presumably meaning ‘struck’) with an O:G. & plansheer for the Gunnwales with pannels on each side the back board, a locker under the after bench & lynings under the benches,  keel thwart shipps 4 ins up and downe, 4 ½ ins X 4 ins  Keelson 6 ins broad of 1 ½ ins planck timbers of 1 ½ ins with 13 ins roome and space and 18 ins Scarph, the flower [floor] timber heads to Naile to ye lower edge of ye binding strake, with bottom boards, & shear boards, Keelbands and Iron bolts and Rings for stem and stern, to row with six Oars to be graved and primed to the water line and paid with stuff in the inside to ye Riseing att 12s per foot  

A little more work done today.  Made and installed the thwarts and the front bulkhead piece for the locker at the back of the boat.  Then I stained all of the interior parts with golden oak.

IMG_7295.jpg

Kenny

Got a little more work done on the longboat since my last post.  Finished up the seats in the cockpit along with the locker.  Also got all of the knees installed along with the windlass and handles.  I also installed the oar holder pins and eye let rings for lifting the boat in and out of the water.

After a little break, I began work on the rudder.  I still have to get the top gudgeon installed and painted on the rudder, then I can install the pintles on the transom and stern post and hang the rudder.  

I also made the display base for the longboat.  The boat is not yet permanently attached to the base, I will do that just before I install the masts and rig the boat.

IMG_7300.thumb.jpg.c4f6a0e10a5d9df3804cc573d0c5fe7e.jpgIMG_7298.thumb.jpg.b619a0cd740eaf8465808f59bf9a1d0e.jpgIMG_7299.thumb.jpg.4ce2cbe18cf0cf26607aad987cced97c.jpgIMG_7301.thumb.jpg.920a7397c4c929913560aa9b7a6748d4.jpg

Kenny