Continental Frigate Raleigh 1777 by KennyH78 - Scale 1:96 - Hahn Plans

• 2 weeks later...

So for the last 3-4 days I have been making the saw fly.  All of the square frames are now shaped to within 1/16" (give or take a little) of their final shape.  I used a combination of the scroll saw, disc sander and a mini drum sander chucked into my bench top drill press to get them to this point.  I have also installed frames 3, 25, and 47 into the frame jig.  Once the glue is dry on those three frames, I will add the keel assymbly to it and start installing the rest of the square frames.  The half and cant frames will be cut out and installed once the square frames are all installed.  I also need to redo frame 2 since I totally missed that the bottom of the frame is not whole.  The pictures can explain it better than I can.

So without further ado, here are the pictures as she sits now.  As always, any and all comments are welcome.

IMG_1038.thumb.JPG.833c22c81cfbb913556cfe0019103fd0.JPGIMG_1039.thumb.JPG.6cc7bce4881198cc7400f9819955abec.JPGIMG_1040.thumb.JPG.b5efa5aabe91694a19ee2a9c75aef3a0.JPGIMG_1041.thumb.JPG.f338565dcff337d6cc124d4cc232a576.JPG

Kenny

Current Builds:   HMS Winchelsea   MS US Frigate Confederacy

On Hold: Continental Frigate Raleigh 1777

Completed Builds: MS 18th Century Longboat   Dinghy - Midwest Kit    H.M.S Triton Cross Section 1/48   Chesapeake Bay Flattie - Midwest Kit

Future Builds: MS English Pinnace;  OcCre Endurance;  Revenue Cutter Cheerful

Another small update, but a huge milestone for me.  The keel is finally laid, well sort of.  It is actually mounted to the frames and hanging high in the clouds.  I have also begun to add the rest of the frames; but that will be a slow process.  I suspect that I will get about 3 frames installed in a day after work.  The reason it takes so long is because the fore and aft faces of each frame need to be sanded smooth prior to installing them on the jig and keel. 

I have also cut the pieces for the new blank for frame 2 and those are glued together and drying.  Tomorrow I will glue another template to it and cut it our on the scroll saw and rough shape it and then install it on the keel.

IMG_1042.thumb.JPG.a8d0c11b9766b2493e9868ac904dea2f.JPGIMG_1043.thumb.JPG.defda3406b2010895f1de71243c888e0.JPG

Kenny

Completed Builds: MS 18th Century Longboat   Dinghy - Midwest Kit    H.M.S Triton Cross Section 1/48   Chesapeake Bay Flattie - Midwest Kit

Have you thought about how you are going to mount your model? Now would be the time to drill and tap holes for the mounting screws if that is in your plans.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks for all the likes.

Greg, I am going to build a cradle to display the model.

And now for the update.  All of the square frames are installed.  She is starting to look like a ship.  This week I will work on cutting out all of the half frames and cant and hawse timbers.  I also need to figure out the best way to make the transom timbers as well.

Anyways, here are the pictures.

IMG_1059.thumb.JPG.d6a11d509a58e8e3a3a53643999d4367.JPGIMG_1060.thumb.JPG.7f626d8897dffc4534ecd91bc6996a04.JPGIMG_1061.thumb.JPG.882db66e670bf4339d42d54711c34b78.JPG

Kenny

Really nice progress

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

You are building it so quick! The log started just a month ago, and you already have most of the frames in place! Envious!

Though there might be a big of fairing ahead ;)

Mike, you are quite right, the fairing process will take a while. But I would rather have to use a ton of sandpaper rather than end up sanding the timbers to the point that they are too thin and have to be replaced. I also spend at least a couple of hours a day on her or the MS Confederacy kit or the MS longboat kit. Building these ships/boats keeps me sane; although retiring from the Air Force next year will help my sanity as well. 

Kenny

Time for my weekly update.  I have spent the week fitting and installing the half and cant frames on the stern and bow.  As you can see in the pictures, there is a lot of fairing that is going to have to be done.  But first I plan to shape and fit the transoms and the hawse timbers.  I also plan on installing some filler pieces to help sturdy up the hull for fairing.  Even though she is going to need quite a bit of fairing, I can already see her lines.

Anyways, here are the pictures of how she sits now.  As always, any and all comments are welcome.

IMG_1068.thumb.JPG.d67e4f3de8b8cbfde370620149b5e88d.JPGIMG_1069.thumb.JPG.bf292040a336174c86e4f13a87fcf9a6.JPGIMG_1070.thumb.JPG.27b70b0d6d48eb12116fed96df59b637.JPGIMG_1071.thumb.JPG.1a906f29922a382a3aea5424f956b664.JPG

Kenny

• 2 weeks later...

I have shaped and installed the hawse timbers and rough shaped and installed the transoms.  The hull is now ready for the tedious task of fairing.  Over the next few weeks, I will be making the saw dust fly.  I also added small filler blocks to the hull to help stabilize the frames while sanding.IMG_1087.thumb.JPG.056a885519d48e2b436634b809f52395.JPGIMG_1088.thumb.JPG.afebb4fd4a771a79d933332a693ada46.JPGIMG_1089.thumb.JPG.3eef27bb1eef22d1cce7915aab5e75d9.JPGIMG_1090.thumb.JPG.5b56a9a11077ac29745dad1fb067c8a8.JPG  Its a small milestone, but a milestone none the less. 

Kenny

It's shaping up very nicely.  The filler blocks will make it much more stable. Wish at the time that I had been at this stage I would have thought of doing that.

• 1 month later...

Excellent work. I completely understand the desire to build plank on frame and then plank the entire thing. Build the model you want to build, the way you want to build it. It is very satisfying.

Russ

• 5 years later...
10 hours ago, Derf the Novice said:

Has this build continued?

I would appear not.  He was last on July 27, 2017 so something may have happened.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 7 months later...
On 5/11/2023 at 7:05 PM, mtaylor said:

I would appear not.  He was last on July 27, 2017 so something may have happened.

The build is on hold at the moment.  Life happened between 2017 and now.  Retirement from the Air Force in early 2018, a move from Texas to Georgia, started and new job, etc, etc.  All of these things sent the build to the back of the closet along with my 18th century longboat and USF Confederacy.  I have just now pulled them back out and started back on the longboat.  I plan to get back onto this build soon, just not sure how soon.

Kenny

Welcome back, Kenny.   I'm looking forward to seeing your builds.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 12/16/2023 at 5:46 PM, mtaylor said:

Welcome back, Kenny.   I'm looking forward to seeing your builds.

Thanks, Mark.  I'm sure that I will be making a little saw dust on the Raleigh before too long.  There is only so much you can do on a model before you have to set it down and walk away to let things like glue set and dry or paint dry.  I think that is why I have 3 different builds in various states at the moment.

Kenny