Halifax by rafine - FINISHED - The Lumberyard - 1:48 - semi-scratch schooner

that is a really nice job on the transom Bob!   the decorations came out look'in sweet  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Well done. I very much like the completed look.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks so much Grant, Michael, Rusty and Jim for the kind words, and thanks also to the "likes".

Jim, I'm afraid that with age the skills become more tricks than physical abilities, but I appreciate the thought.

Bob

Just catching up here Bob - truly wonderful work as usual. The Halifax looks like a really fun project - and I'm also glad to hear you made it through the weather ok! 

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Work on the outer hull began with the quarter badges. As with the transom, i needed to make a decision as to how to handle the carvings. My answer was essentially the same; I couldn't make my own; I couldn't use the laser cut carving pieces from the Lumberyard; so I had to use the resin castings from the kit. To use them, I first cut out the windows from the castings and then painted them to mach the hull wood, with a bit of black background. I liked the paint better than what I had done on the transom, so I did some repainting on the transom to try and match. The windows are, again, the Lumberyard laser cut ones, again thinned down considerably. The glazing is again Micro Kristal Klear.

I then made up the main channels from boxwood strip, painted them black and glued and pinned them in place.

Lastly, I started to add moldings to the hull sides, The lowest is half round and the others are a simple double bead. All of the moldings will be painted black. The moldings were simple to place because when planking the hull I had used base pieces for the moldings in the planking and was able to just follow those base pieces when attaching the final molding pieces.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_750.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_74f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_751.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_752.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_753.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_754.jpeg

Nice work Bob, the quarter badges and stern look real fine together

Very nice transom, Bob! The paint on the carvings looks very much like wood!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Thanks so much Zappto. Yes, I used Micro Krystal Klear. It is very easy to use. You just dip a tooth pick in it and then swirl the toothpick in the window frame opening until it it is filled. Each pane is done individually.

Bob

Once again, some rainy weather led to extra modeling time. I accomplished a few things.

First, image and mounted the rudder. The basic piece was the laser cut part from the kit. I had to add a piece to the upper portion to enable a proper fit through the deck. I then shaped the fore sideband tapered the aft side. The pintles and gudgeons were done with black painted paper (I avoid metal work whenever possible) with blackened brass for the working parts. The tiller was cut from boxwood sheet and rounded where appropriate. It was then attached to the rudder after the rudder was mounted. 

I then started making and mounting the various timber heads. These were made from boxwood strip, shaped with files, painted black and mounted to the cap rail with pins and glue.

Lastly, while access was still easy, I started drilling holes for, and mounting eyebolts for future rigging attachment, including the aft most guns.Many others remain to be done. I also added a black wire horse for the boom sheet, on the inner transom.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_755.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_757.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_758.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_759.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_756.jpeg