Halifax by rafine - FINISHED - The Lumberyard - 1:48 - semi-scratch schooner

7 hours ago, rafine said:

Al, I don't really remember just how long it took, but I'm sure that it was at least two or three weeks.

Bob

I'm sure the kits are put together per order and not on the shelf. I'm in no hurry. I'm not really ready for it anyway. My skills are not quite there yet.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

As a break from work on the guns, I decided to complete the detailing of the aft portion of the decks. This involved making and mounting the topsail sheet bitts, finishing and mounting the pumps and permanently mounting the deckhouse/companionway.

The bitts were easy, consisting of boxwood strip pieces slotted with a file for a secure fit together, and pinned and glued to the deck.

The pumps were more work. The tubes had been made and fitted previously (as shown in a prior post). At this point they were completed by making up the mechanism. This consisted of handles cut from styrene sheet, filed to final shape and drilled for small dowels and wire, and brackets for the handles made from wood strip, but painted black to simulate metal. The completed pumps were then mounted through the openings previously made through the upper and lower decks. 

The deckhouse/companionway had been made previously (as shown in a prior post) and was merely glued in place at this time.

Now it's back to rigging guns.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_780.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_781.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_782.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_783.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_784.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_785.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_786.jpeg

Those cannons are very nice Bob! What have you bee using to finish the carriages and other wooden items? 

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

very nice work on the pumps and cannons...the aft deck is fitting out nicely  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks so much Elijah, Denis and the "likes".

Elijah, all of the unpainted wood is finished with Minwax satin wipe-on poly. One or two coats, usually applied with a cloth, rubbed down with 000 steel wool, and buffed with a soft cloth.

Bob

Great work on the pumps and the rest of the deck pieces. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I'm almost to the end of work on the deck. I've now mounted and rigged the remaining four guns, added the cross piece to the fore bitts and permanently mounted the previously made stack for the galley stove. I also threaded the anchor cables through the hawse holes and up through the openings on the forecastle deck (a ticklish job that probably should have been done earlier).

All that remains to be done is the windlass and probably a few cleats for rigging attachment. I'm still working out how to go about doing the windlass.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_788.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_789.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_787.jpeg

A great model Bob,

love all the fitting out details, they are wonderful !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Really nice work  - love the cannons.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

super nice work Bob........the cannons look great!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

After spending a few days up north with family for the Thanksgiving holiday, I'm back and have finished work on the hull and deck. The final work involved making and mounting the windlass, running the anchor cables around the windlass and down into the hold, and adding some cleats. I also remounted the galley stack.

The windlass was made up from boxwood strip, which was drilled and filed for the bars, beveled on the edges and then assembled around end pieces cut and filed to fit the octagonal shape of the windlass barrel. I had to make some small adjustments to the uprights to fit the barrel as made. After mounting the windlass, I wound the anchor cables around it and then ran them down into the hold, where they were glued to rope coils that had been placed down there long ago.

The cleats are 7mm laser cut pieces from Syren, shaped with files and mounted with pins.

This completes work on the hull and deck, except for the swivel guns and anchors, which will be done after the rigging. I will now be moving on to the masting and rigging.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_78a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_78b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_78c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_78e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_78f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_790.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_791.jpeg

nice job on the windlass........the deck is really look'in my-t fine  ;)    

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: