Halifax by rafine - FINISHED - The Lumberyard - 1:48 - semi-scratch schooner

I agree Bob, that deck looks awesome, great detailing

Looking really good Bob. Great craftsmanship. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Bob,

Extremely neat and clean build one to be proud of.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Bob, you continue to be an inspiration. My Halifax kit is supposed to ship late this week or early next. He said it was delayed because the laser cutter guy had to upgrade his machine or something and his thickness sander was down. I'm going to have to go through your posts word for word before I start it. 

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Hi Bob,  what a lovely job you are doing, I love the detail and workmanship,  the color of your upper planking is very nice almost like a pale cream - light yellow ocre color.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Nice work on the windlass Bob, those octagons can be tricky. Looking forward to the masting. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Thanks so much OC, Joe and the "likes".

OC, the planking is castello boxwood and that is the natural color (after a finish of Wipe-on Poly).

Joe, as might be expected, the windlass required more than one try, and it's still not a perfect octagon. "Tricky" is a charitable description.

Bob

First work on the masting has now been done with the making and mounting of the bowsprit and jibboom. Both the bowsprit and jibboom were made from dowels, shaped appropriately,  stained golden oak, and then painted black where called for. The cap was cut from boxwood sheet, beveled, holes drilled and filed, and painted black. Various boxwood cleats were added for the gammoning, rigging collars and a jibboom stop.

After assembling the bowsprit, jibboom and cap, I added the lashing for the jibboom and then the collars for the bobstay, shrouds and forestay. A jackstaff was made and mounted to the cap. I then mounted the assembled unit and added the gammoning.

The Hahn drawing provides limited detail as to the masting and rigging, so I am using Lees to provide information on sizing of masting and rigging components.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_792.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_793.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_794.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_795.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_796.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_797.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_798.jpeg

Excellent work Bob, how did you attach the jackstaff to the cap?

Thanks so much Don and the "likes".

Don, I sanded the lower portion of the jackstaff flat and glued it to the cap. I then drilled holes on either side and glued in a tiny U-shaped piece of wire as a bracket. The wire didn't show up on the previous photos, so I'm attaching a photo that shows it.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_799.jpeg

really a super job Bob.........look'in very  good :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Bob.  I love your work. You really inspire me to try and plan each step. Your build is absolutely beautiful so far. 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

Thanks so much Denis, Rich, Patrick, Zappto, Thomas and Dave for the very generous comments. Thanks also to the "likes".

Dave, the deadeyes are 3/16" and the heart is 5/16". The shroud deadeyes are probably a little too large, but I was in between sizes and opted to go for a little larger, rather than too small.

Bob

Thanks Bob!

If you email Daniel Dusek (who owns the rights to Mamoli's plans) He'll send you a copy of the very detailed Mamoli rigging plans for Halifax.  He sent me a copy but asks that I not forward it to anyone, but rather request it directly from him.  It is in Italian (of course) but is very detailed.  contact@dusekshipkits.com

Thanks Dave. I actually have the Mamoli plans. I built the Mamoli Halifax many, many years ago (the model was donated to a charity auction almost 20 years ago and I have no photos). There are some discrepancies from the Hahn plan and also from practices as set out in Lees, but I do intend to use them as another possible source of information.

Bob

Thanks Bob, that is a real innovative way of mounting the jackstaff

Continuing with mast construction. I've made and mounted the two lower masts. Each began with dowel, cut and sanded to a square shape for the head and a flat area for the cheeks. The cheeks were cut from boxwood sheet. The trestletrees and crosstrees were made from boxwood strip, with notches filed in to fit them together. The boom step on the mainmast was cut from boxwood sheet with boxwood strip supports. The cleats were made from boxwood strip, sanded to shape and pinned and glued in place. I had Syren laser cut cleats and they are nice, but it was more trouble removing the laser char, than just making them from scratch.The caps and mast coats were cut from boxwood sheet, after the holes were drilled and filed. The unpainted portions were finished with golden oak stain and Wipe-on Poly . The doublings, caps and mastcoats were painted black. Lastly, eyebolts were added for attachment of various blocks.

The masts were mounted in the holes previously drilled in the keelson, with the mastcoats in place. The caps will not be mounted until later.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_79a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_79b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_79d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_79c.jpeg

PB300153.JPG

fullsizeoutput_79e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7a0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_79f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7a1.jpeg

Again excellent work Bob, are you carving and shaping all these intricate pieces by hand or do you have power tools such as a mill? Either way it looks real good I especially like the cleats and boom step. A fine example of doing things "the right way" ;)

Edited by donrobinson