Halifax by rafine - FINISHED - The Lumberyard - 1:48 - semi-scratch schooner

Thanks so much John, Ken, Russ , Grant and Michael for the great compliments. Thanks also to the "likes".  All are appreciated.

Ken, I'm afraid that you will have to wait about a week for the answer. :)

Bob

Superb work  those ropes just look so fine and detailed.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hi Bob -- If "bad" language helps, then it's not bad in my opinion.  And if your hands aren't as steady as they used to be, well, you're still getting things done at an impressive skill level. 

Fabulous to see!

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

rigging looks awesome Bob........very cleanly done!  you nailed it with the braces.......no deflection on the shrouds  ;)   you've really done a superb job on this vessel ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks so much Martin, Denis and the "likes". 

Martin, I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I don't feel that way when I have to tie off a line with two tweezers in a tangle of other lines. :(

Bob

Done! Halifax is now completed. The last work was the swivel guns and the anchors.

The swivel guns were done using the barrel castings supplied by the Lumberyard, to which I added a handle made from wire with a small bead at the end. The mounting brackets were made from some brass backing links that I had on hand, which were bent to shape, a hole drilled, and a mounting pin inserted. The whole assemblies were painted black and glued in place.

The anchors were entirely made from boxwood strip. The "metal" portion of the anchors were painted black and the stocks were left natural. Simulated bolts were added to the stocks, as well as black painted paper bands. The rings are wire with puddening done by wrapping tan line around the wire. The anchors were then rigged and mounted.

I will post photos of the completed model in the next day or two, as well as starting a new log for my next project, Prince de Neufchatel, starting with the Model Shipways kit.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_7de.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7df.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7e0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7e1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7e3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7e4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7e5.jpeg

beautiful fitting out Bob !,

anchors, swivels and mounting supports look great...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

congratz Bob on a fine looking vessel!  the swivel guns.....especially the anchors,  are the crowning touch ;)    definitely museum quality  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nicely done, Bob! Looking forward to your next build, as always.

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Excellent build Bob. Your workmanship is first rate and its always a pleasure to follow along. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks so much Rusty, Lawrence and the "likes".

Lawrence, I chose this kit because it had laser cut framing. I have no power tools and don't wish to cut frames by hand. With the exception of the framing, I basically scratch built almost everything. I also substituted wood from Wood Project Source for that supplied in the kit. All of that is a long way of saying that the kit suited my needs because of the framing, but if that isn't a consideration, I would go for the timbering set only. In answer to your last question, the kit contained no materials for masting and rigging, and the blocks and rigging line were all from Syren.

Bob

Congratulations Bob - another fine model for the collection. I look forward to following your next project.

Congratulations, Bob! This is another wonderful model added to your fleet. Outstanding craftsmanship and detail! 

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

What a Superb job you have done bob,  not just your beautiful workmanship but also your step by step guides, I know not only myself but others will have found your build so enjoyable.

Thank you.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Since no log can be deemed complete without some overall photos of the finished model, mine are attached here.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who have followed this build, who have hit the "like" button, and, particularly, those who have provided their support and encouragement through their generous thoughts and comments. It is gratifying to have such an appreciative response from such a talented and accomplished group of modelers. Thanks again.

I hope to see you all on my new log for Prince de Neufchatel, which will be opened a little later today.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_7e8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7e7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7e6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7eb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7ea.jpeg

What a wonderful model. I dream to arrive one day to build a model like this one.

I will follow your next log with great interest.

Thanks to share your work.

Jean-Paul

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Congratulations Bob to that beautiful built "Halifax" schooner....

Did you already mention which your next project will be ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

You always do some awsome work.  Always a joy to follow along with your builds.  Looking forward to whats coming next....

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea