Halifax by rafine - FINISHED - The Lumberyard - 1:48 - semi-scratch schooner

Shipwrights would be proud, excellent work!

John

Member: Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

Current Builds: Tugboat Dorothy  Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #1 (complete)

Iron Clad Monitor (complete) 

Sardine Carrier which I will Name Mary Ann (complete)

Pilot Boat John H. Estill Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #12 (my avatar)

Harbor tug Susan Moran

Coast Guard 100' patrol boat

Thanks so much Rony, Christian, John, Zarkon, Grant and Dave for the nice comments and thanks also to the "likes".

No worry, Christian. I'm going to leave as much as possible open. At this point, the only thing that I know for sure is that I'm going to do a margin plank around the perimeter after I finish the bulwark planking.

Bob

Beautiful work Bob!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

deck framing looks awesome Bob..........super progress.   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I just missed looking at your build log for about a week and you nearly finished your ship :)! Amazing progress and as usual beautiful execution!

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Very nice work Bob! The stove looks good enough to me. Your deck framing looks like it should be fun to plank on! 

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Thanks so much Thomas, Elijah, svein erik and the "likes". 

Thomas, if I'm almost finished, how come there's so much left to do? :D

Elijah, I've been working on the forecastle area this week and the stove has just about disappeared, so I guess that it is good enough. ;)

Svein erik, glad to have you aboard.

Bob

I've been moving along a little more quickly than usual, This has been for two reasons: first, there has been some rain that's cut down on golf time; second, and more importantly, I've been enjoying this build as much as any that I can remember, and I'm finding it hard to stop whenever I start working on it.

As a result, this past week I've done the interior bulwark planking, the forecastle deck planking (to the extent that it will be done), the stove pipe and the forecastle scuttle.

The bulwark planking was done with boxwood strip of various sizes, but all 1/32" thick. This was pretty straightforward, with the exception of the compound curves at the bow, which required considerable bending and twisting using wet heat. I have chosen to leave the bulwarks in natural wood (as did Hahn in the book), and they were finished with Wipe-on Poly.

I began the forecastle decking by cutting the margin planks from holly sheet using card templates. The remainder of the limited planking was done with holly strip. In order to do the deck planking, I needed to make up the stove pipe and scuttle coamings. I simulated the deck treenailing with golden oak filler in drilled holes. Halifax had an unusual arrangement where the the anchor cables came up through the forecastle deck. I drilled holes in the decking for these and then added pieces of drilled boxwood strip as reinforcement.

The coamings were made from boxwood strip and formed around the grating and the stovepipe base. The grating was done from some precut grating material I had on hand. The stovepipe base was styrene sheet and the stovepipe itself was made from two sizes of styrene tube. These were painted black. The last photos show the stovepipe and scuttle temporarily in place and also a dummy bowsprit which i used to fit the deck planking.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_723.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_724.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_725.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_726.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_727.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_728.jpeg

Hi Bob

"moving along a little more quickly than usual" ? You're already working at the speed of light and deliver such a quality that is most comparable with many builds in the scratch building part.

The more I follow this build the more I wonder how it is to work with high quality timber ( meaning stuff like boxwood,... )

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

Thanks so much Michael, Christian, Mike and the "likes". Appreciated, as always.

Christian, I have been replacing kit wood for a long time. Once you do it is very hard to go back. The castello boxwood and holly that I work with is just so much easier to use. It cuts cleaner, holds an edge better and sands smoother. It doesn't chip or splinter. You should give it a try (although you seem to be doing great with what you're using).

Bob

The next area to be done was the deck planking for the midship area. In keeping with my intention to leave large deck areas open, I planked along the sides only to the width required for the guns. I did then add a strip of planking down the center because it just looked odd to me without it. The planking was again done with holly strip, using 3/16" strip for the margin plank and 1/8" strip for the remainder. Treenailing was again done with golden oak filler.

In order to complete this planking work, I had to accomplish three other tasks: First, I did the main hatch, using some old grating strip material on hand and boxwood strip for the coaming; second, before gluing the hatch in place, I realized that if I ran the anchor cables back to the hatch, their drop into the hold would be visible, requiring that I provide coils in the hold; third, I needed to fit the windlass bitts to the deck planking, and, thus, had to make them and their cheeks from boxwood strip at this point. The bitts were not mounted permanently at this time, but are shown sitting (crookedly) in the last attached photo.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_729.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_72b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_72a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_72c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_72e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_72f.jpeg

Good job in general Bob, you have chosen a good ship for this type of work (semi-scratch) in which you can detail with patience and get excellent results.

20708175_1591124140937844_5879625364735751964_n.jpg

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

Thanks so much B.E., Captain Poison and the "likes".

B.E., You've made me take another look at the gratings. I see what you're referring to in the photo, but in person it seems to look better. I'm just going to let it sit for a while and then revisit.

Bob

Hi Bob -- I can see why you say that you're enjoying this build -- it's giving you a chance to showcase your skill and taste in setting contrasting woods together.  And I'm with you 100 % on your views of quality wood.  Castello, especially, is really nice to work with.  I have a good sized chunk of it out in my workshop, and plan to carve it into a replica of a 15th century image. 

Here's hoping you don't get any serious remnants of Harvey.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thanks so much Martin, Dave and Zappto for the nice comments and also to the "likes". 

No problem down here with Harvey Martin, but Irma is growing out in the Atlantic somewhere. :(

No paint, Zappto.

Bob