Halifax by rafine - FINISHED - The Lumberyard - 1:48 - semi-scratch schooner

While sitting here nervously awaiting the arrival of Hurricane Irma, it seemed like a good time to do an update on Halifax.

I've now done the deck planking on the first raised portion of the aft deck (quarterdeck?). Like the previous deck sections, it was done in a limited fashion, allowing for the placement of a hatch, guns, pumps, mainmast and deckhouse. Once again the planking is holly with golden oak drill and fill treenails. 

The hatch again has precut grating strips and boxwood strip coaming. The pump tubes were made up to facilitate fitting and were done with dowel and boxwood strip. The pumps will not be completed and mounted until later. I also made up the companionway ladder from boxwood strip and mounted it. This is another item that will disappear almost completely when the deckhouse is mounted.

I'm working on the deckhouse now in preparation for the deck planking of the final aft section. The storm is supposed to hit us this weekend, so I have no idea at this point how long we will have power or how long it may be out, if we lose it. 

Bob

fullsizeoutput_730.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_731.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_733.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_732.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_734.jpeg

she's look'in good Bob......and likewise.....stay safe.  I was look'in on a map cuz I have friends in the Daytona beach area........I see you live north of Tampa.  batten down those hatches good! :o

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Bob,

your Halifax build is coming along very well. love that that clean and tidy planking job...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Bob, I'm just going to be in Delray tomorrow at a friend's house. I live in Fort Lauderdale and 1 mile off the coast and it's not safe.
Actually all Florida is not safe but in Delray and 6 miles off the coast It can be the difference.
Stay safe my friend..

Edit:Maybe you should consider the products that Chuck sells. In my opinion a low cost solution with great results (already come with a small curvature giving more realism to the work)

Edited by Captain Poison

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

Thanks so much Dirk, Denis, Nils, Capt Poison and Rich for the nice comments about the work and the good wishes about the storm. Thanks also to the "likes". 

Denis, I live in southeast Florida between Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach, which now appears to be right in the storm path.

Capt Poison, anything off the coast has got to be at least a little better, but I guess we'll see. :( BTW, the last hatch was done with Chuck's material.

Bob

I saw the latest track........do be careful my friend ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hang in there!  Be safe!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

She all looks great Bob, take care

Wonderful work, Bob! Consistent, outstanding craftsmanship throughout the whole build. And all the best for getting through Irma! 

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Stay save over the next few days.  Whatever it takes.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Hello from Chicago to all of my good and concerned friends. My son in law was able to have a company plane come down and pick up my wife and I and a few others at the last minute and we are now with my family in the Chicago area. I am obviously relieved and thankful to be here, but also feeling a little guilty for leaving my friends in Florida. I now join all those who are hoping for the safety of those still facing the storm. Thanks again to all for your support. 

Bob

Hi Bob -

Glad to hear that you are safe.  You owe that son in law one or two of your beautiful ship models...:)  I know there are several people on this web site from Florida, and my thoughts and prayers are with all of them.  I have been watching the news this morning as Irma makes her way towards Florida's west coast and it looks really bad.  If nothing else, I hope these storms will help to bring us back together as a nation of people helping and caring for one another.

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

glad to hear you and the admiral are safe........kudos to all involved! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

We returned to Florida after a week away, just after our power was restored. Fortunately, there was no damage done and life is returning to normal. "Normal" means back to work on Halifax, so here's an update.

The next order of business was to complete the decking for the aft most section. In order to do that, I needed to at least rough out and position the deckhouse/companionway/binnacle structure first. Once I got started on it, however, it was too much fun to stop, so I finished it completely. The structure was made as follows: the walls were made from individual planks cut from 1/8" x 1/16" boxwood strip; the walls were shaped to match the camber of the decks; the walls were assembled using square strip at the inside corners; interior dividers were cut from 1/16" boxwood sheet and fitted to form the companionway walls and the binnacle cabinet; moldings were added to all of the walls using 1/32" boxwood strip; the doors were made in the same manner as the walls; the roof was cut from 1/32" boxwood sheet and bent to fit the camber; final detailing was done using PE door hinges and roundhead brass pins for door handles. I couldn't resist doing a compass for the binnacle, although it really can barely be seen. The compass was made from a slice of brass tubing, with a styrene disk for the face. I used Micro Krystal Klear for the "glass". One of the photos shows the structure in place temporarily, but it won't be mounted permanently until later.

The deck planking was done in the same fashion as before and provides an open look into the stern cabin.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_737.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_736.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_738.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_739.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_73a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_73b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_73c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_73e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_73d.jpeg

Very nice work Bob,

that binacle cabinet looks great !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I really like your binnacle/companionway piece.  The pe hinges are very nice. As I was following is a directions in my kit I ended up just using some black paper to simulate the hinges.   It came out OK however now after following your building I can see what is possible.   Wonderful, absolutely wonderful!