Halifax by rafine - FINISHED - The Lumberyard - 1:48 - semi-scratch schooner

Your work is always so neat and precise! She's looking great Bob

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

OK Bob, it's all your fault. I have been enjoying your Halifax build so much that I went ahead and did something really silly. I ordered the kit. I know I'm not ready for it yet but want it on the shelf for when I am. Yours has been such an inspiration. 

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

On 1-10-2017 at 1:43 AM, Robin Lous said:

So beautiful and so crisp and clean. 

Robin :)

I was wondering if I said this before.

Yep! I did!  ...and I stick to that! absolutely gorgeous. I hope I can learn from this. Every little bit I can pick up from your build is a leap forward for me.

Robin :)

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Thanks so much Hamilton, Al, Thomas and Robin for the very kind words, and thanks also to the "likes".

Al, I'm really gratified that you have decided to do Halifax based on my work. I don't think that it's silly at all, and you will enjoy the challenge. I look forward to watching.

Bob

17 hours ago, alde said:

OK Bob, it's all your fault. I have been enjoying your Halifax build so much that I went ahead and did something really silly. I ordered the kit. I know I'm not ready for it yet but want it on the shelf for when I am. Yours has been such an inspiration. 

Ahem, where did you order the kit, good sir? I asume it is not the Halifax from Constructo you are talking about...

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

It's by the Lumberyard. The Lumberyard for Model Shipwrights Click the link.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Bob,

When I ordered my Halifax kit they told me they were no longer offering the laser cut stern details because they no longer have the service of the more delicate laser cutter. They now only have the resin parts. How is the quality of the resin castings? I'm sure they will be fine but I may try carving my own with the resin as a backup.

Al

Current Builds:

Al, as it turned out, I used only the windows from the laser cut sheet. I found the laser cut carvings far too fragile for my clumsy efforts. I wasn't happy with the one piece resin stern casting, so  I ended up using the laser cut windows (thinned considerably), cut the carvings from the resin casting, discarded what remained of the casting and scratch built the stern. I did use the resin quarter badges, with the windows cut out and replaced by the laser cut pieces. I'm sure that I could have used the castings virtually "as is", but I enjoyed doing the scratch stern.

Bob

Thanks for the info Bob. I don't mind using the resin but may try to learn some carving. I've always admired some of the great carving work and might give it a try knowing I have the resin as backup.

Al

Current Builds:

Hi Bob,

I can only agree with what they all said mate, truly fantastic.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks so much Mobbsie, B.E., Dave and the "likes". As I said, work on the head is not my favorite, but it's very satisfying to get through it and have it so appreciated by all of you.

Bob

Hi Bob -- I'm just starting the head on my Fly, and seeing your work here has solved one of the first problems:  I never thought of laminating!  And I have just been baffled over cutting the big curves of the cheeks that cross the grain no matter how they're lined up.  Plus, your nice sanding of the outer edge takes care of the task of decorative molding.  Wonderful.  Now if I can only get a few days off from work, maybe I'll get it done.  And maybe if I do it a dozen times, I can get something almost as nice as your work.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thanks so much Martin.The grain is a problem, no matter how you do it. I have to tell you that I broke more than one piece. I've used the lamination technique in a number of ways, and find it very useful.

Bob

I was hesitant posting a comment......you have so many already that voiced my sentiment ;)    I follow that rule...grain is everything.   used in your favor,  you can get the wood to bend,   creating a nice curved appearance.   but there are the times that it cannot be helped,  and it makes the part very brittle ;)    your lamination approach is really neat too........I'll have to file that one away  :)     really wonderful work Bob.......if I'm quiet,  don't be concerned....it's because I'm speechless  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I've now done the deadeyes and chains. Fortunately, there aren't that many.

The chains consist of three parts: the deadeye straps, which are made from wire; the middle links, which are made from wire bent to loop shape using a simple jig made from two small nails in a block of wood; and the lower links, for which I used brass backing links that I had on hand from some past project. The deadeyes are also commercial products that I had on hand.

This work completes the work on the outer hull. I am now returning to do the remaining deck furniture and fittings.

fullsizeoutput_775.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_776.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_777.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_778.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_774.jpeg

Hi Bob, she is all looking great. I was wondering about your deadeye strap technique, and how it is done. Do you wrap the deadeye with wire, give it a twist, push both ends through the channel, cut one end off then make a loop? How is the loop fixed, solder, glue or is it just left? Thanks

Thanks so much Don and the "likes". Don, that's almost exactly what I do. I twist twice, snip off one legend pass the remaining one through the channel. I've never found it necessary to either solder or glue the loop beneath the channel.

Denis, I just noticed that you had posted at virtually the same time that I did this morning. Thanks for the compliments, but please don't stay quiet, since I always enjoy hearing from you. :)

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

After turning my attention back to deck fittings and furniture, the first item was to make up the guns. There are six 3 pounders (very small :(). I decided not to use the carriages and white metal barrel castings provided by the Lumberyard (the barrels were too large when compared to the plans), and substituted carriages and brass barrels from Syren. I used the 1:64 6 pounders (1 11/64" barrels) which fit the plans almost perfectly. I made one modification. The trunnions appeared too small, but I did not want to get involved with trying to drill through the brass barrels to add larger trunnions, so I added tiny bits of tubing to build them up.

After making up the carriage kits, I added the needed eyebolts and ring bolts from blackened brass. I also added the quoin handles, using the smallest brass belaying pins that I had on hand. 

I then started to rig the guns with their breech ropes and tackles. For the tackles I am using Syren 1/8" (3mm) blocks, which are the smallest that I can handle at this point, and Syren .008 line. After rigging two of them, I had had enough, so decided to mount them and move on to something else for a while. After mounting, I added separate rope coils to the tackle lines.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_779.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_77a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_77b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_77c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_77d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_77e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_77f.jpeg

Those canon look wonderful. I debated on whether not I was going to try to rig mine however I decided not to at this scale it at this level of my experience.  Now I can just imagine that this is what I actually did for mine. 

Thanks so much Zappto, Michael, Al and the "likes". 

Michael, they are a pain to rig, but really not that difficult and not to be feared.

Al, I'm expecting great things from yours and look forward to it.

Bob

I'll try not to disappoint. How long did it take Lumberyard to ship yours? I haven't heard anything since I paid 2 weeks ago. He did mention that he was waiting to finish getting his thickness sander rebuilt.

Al

Current Builds: