rafine

Schooner Halifax by rafine - FINISHED - Lumberyard - 1:48 - semi-scratch

Thanks so much Don and the "likes". Don, that's almost exactly what I do. I twist twice, snip off one legend pass the remaining one through the channel. I've never found it necessary to either solder or glue the loop beneath the channel.

Denis, I just noticed that you had posted at virtually the same time that I did this morning. Thanks for the compliments, but please don't stay quiet, since I always enjoy hearing from you. :)

Bob

After turning my attention back to deck fittings and furniture, the first item was to make up the guns. There are six 3 pounders (very small :(). I decided not to use the carriages and white metal barrel castings provided by the Lumberyard (the barrels were too large when compared to the plans), and substituted carriages and brass barrels from Syren. I used the 1:64 6 pounders (1 11/64" barrels) which fit the plans almost perfectly. I made one modification. The trunnions appeared too small, but I did not want to get involved with trying to drill through the brass barrels to add larger trunnions, so I added tiny bits of tubing to build them up.

After making up the carriage kits, I added the needed eyebolts and ring bolts from blackened brass. I also added the quoin handles, using the smallest brass belaying pins that I had on hand. 

I then started to rig the guns with their breech ropes and tackles. For the tackles I am using Syren 1/8" (3mm) blocks, which are the smallest that I can handle at this point, and Syren .008 line. After rigging two of them, I had had enough, so decided to mount them and move on to something else for a while. After mounting, I added separate rope coils to the tackle lines.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_779.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_77a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_77b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_77c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_77d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_77e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_77f.jpeg

Those canon look wonderful. I debated on whether not I was going to try to rig mine however I decided not to at this scale it at this level of my experience.  Now I can just imagine that this is what I actually did for mine. 

Thanks so much Zappto, Michael, Al and the "likes". 

Michael, they are a pain to rig, but really not that difficult and not to be feared.

Al, I'm expecting great things from yours and look forward to it.

Bob

I'll try not to disappoint. How long did it take Lumberyard to ship yours? I haven't heard anything since I paid 2 weeks ago. He did mention that he was waiting to finish getting his thickness sander rebuilt.

7 hours ago, rafine said:

Al, I don't really remember just how long it took, but I'm sure that it was at least two or three weeks.

Bob

I'm sure the kits are put together per order and not on the shelf. I'm in no hurry. I'm not really ready for it anyway. My skills are not quite there yet.

As a break from work on the guns, I decided to complete the detailing of the aft portion of the decks. This involved making and mounting the topsail sheet bitts, finishing and mounting the pumps and permanently mounting the deckhouse/companionway.

The bitts were easy, consisting of boxwood strip pieces slotted with a file for a secure fit together, and pinned and glued to the deck.

The pumps were more work. The tubes had been made and fitted previously (as shown in a prior post). At this point they were completed by making up the mechanism. This consisted of handles cut from styrene sheet, filed to final shape and drilled for small dowels and wire, and brackets for the handles made from wood strip, but painted black to simulate metal. The completed pumps were then mounted through the openings previously made through the upper and lower decks. 

The deckhouse/companionway had been made previously (as shown in a prior post) and was merely glued in place at this time.

Now it's back to rigging guns.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_780.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_781.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_782.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_783.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_784.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_785.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_786.jpeg

I'm almost to the end of work on the deck. I've now mounted and rigged the remaining four guns, added the cross piece to the fore bitts and permanently mounted the previously made stack for the galley stove. I also threaded the anchor cables through the hawse holes and up through the openings on the forecastle deck (a ticklish job that probably should have been done earlier).

All that remains to be done is the windlass and probably a few cleats for rigging attachment. I'm still working out how to go about doing the windlass.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_788.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_789.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_787.jpeg