rafine

Schooner Halifax by rafine - FINISHED - Lumberyard - 1:48 - semi-scratch

After spending a few days up north with family for the Thanksgiving holiday, I'm back and have finished work on the hull and deck. The final work involved making and mounting the windlass, running the anchor cables around the windlass and down into the hold, and adding some cleats. I also remounted the galley stack.

The windlass was made up from boxwood strip, which was drilled and filed for the bars, beveled on the edges and then assembled around end pieces cut and filed to fit the octagonal shape of the windlass barrel. I had to make some small adjustments to the uprights to fit the barrel as made. After mounting the windlass, I wound the anchor cables around it and then ran them down into the hold, where they were glued to rope coils that had been placed down there long ago.

The cleats are 7mm laser cut pieces from Syren, shaped with files and mounted with pins.

This completes work on the hull and deck, except for the swivel guns and anchors, which will be done after the rigging. I will now be moving on to the masting and rigging.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_78a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_78b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_78c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_78e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_78f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_790.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_791.jpeg

Bob, you continue to be an inspiration. My Halifax kit is supposed to ship late this week or early next. He said it was delayed because the laser cutter guy had to upgrade his machine or something and his thickness sander was down. I'm going to have to go through your posts word for word before I start it. 

Thanks so much OC, Joe and the "likes".

OC, the planking is castello boxwood and that is the natural color (after a finish of Wipe-on Poly).

Joe, as might be expected, the windlass required more than one try, and it's still not a perfect octagon. "Tricky" is a charitable description.

Bob

First work on the masting has now been done with the making and mounting of the bowsprit and jibboom. Both the bowsprit and jibboom were made from dowels, shaped appropriately,  stained golden oak, and then painted black where called for. The cap was cut from boxwood sheet, beveled, holes drilled and filed, and painted black. Various boxwood cleats were added for the gammoning, rigging collars and a jibboom stop.

After assembling the bowsprit, jibboom and cap, I added the lashing for the jibboom and then the collars for the bobstay, shrouds and forestay. A jackstaff was made and mounted to the cap. I then mounted the assembled unit and added the gammoning.

The Hahn drawing provides limited detail as to the masting and rigging, so I am using Lees to provide information on sizing of masting and rigging components.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_792.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_793.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_794.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_795.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_796.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_797.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_798.jpeg

Thanks so much Don and the "likes".

Don, I sanded the lower portion of the jackstaff flat and glued it to the cap. I then drilled holes on either side and glued in a tiny U-shaped piece of wire as a bracket. The wire didn't show up on the previous photos, so I'm attaching a photo that shows it.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_799.jpeg