Halifax by rafine - FINISHED - The Lumberyard - 1:48 - semi-scratch schooner

And she starts, well planned step by step procedure. I wish I could be that organised. Looking good Bob

I also wish you luck on the start of this wonderful journey........off to a good start ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Agree with all the comments above. Will you be adding the keel after all the frames are in the jig? That seems like an easy way to build this upside down. I probably would have laid the keel first, added the frames, then the jig. But now that sounds backwards. 

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale

Looks wonderful.  One difference compared to my LSS version is that kit started with a fixed keel in the jig and then added the frames.  Your early frames look great and I am not sure I would of been able to get them so perfect without the keel being there. Having the 3 points of attachment was helpful to my beginner skill set.  (Seen on my log post #11)

Thanks so much Don, Denis, John, Carl, Michael and the "likes".

Don, I have to admit that it was less a matter of pre-planning than some trial and error on the first couple of frames that led to the seemingly organized sequence. :)

Carl, the keel will be glued in place after the full frames are completed. This is how Hahn shows it in his book.

Michael, since the keel is used to insure proper positioning after every couple of frames, the effect is the same, but without having to maneuver the frames between the jig and keel to get them mounted. BTW, judging from your results on Halifax, you wouldn't have had any problem, however you went about it.

Bob

A good start bob !

pre-lasered jig and keel provide the correct frame distances all the way  :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

A small update. I'm making and mounting the full frames at the rate of about one per day, following the procedures previously set out. At this point, twelve full frames have been set, and ten more remain. After that, I will move to the half frames at bow and stern.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_6af.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6ae.jpeg

looking great so far Bob.........looks like the only faring you'll need to do will be the critical contour areas....the bow ans so on ;)   very nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Looks great Bob. Was your Kingfisher built in the same manner, upside down building jig, or was it upright? I am only asking, and I know it is early in the build, what your preference would be, if they were different?

Thanks so much Sjors, John, Don and the "likes". 

Don, Kingfisher was built upright, using a jig created by Bob Hunt that I recall was difficult to work with when setting the frames. Planking and other work was relatively easy ,since the hull was set free and could be manipulated.. The Hahn method is easy to use to set the frames correctly, but it remains to be seen how subsequent work will go.

Bob

All of the full frames have now been made up and mounted. The next step was to permanently mount the the keel-stem-stern assembly to the the full frames. Before doing this, I did some work on the stem that could more easily be done before mounting. This involved drilling, cutting and filing the gammoning slot, and cutting and tapering the upper forward portion to accommodate the fitting of the figurehead. The figurehead is a 3D printed resin piece supplied by the Lumberyard. I am attaching a photo showing it in place temporarily. It will be painted to match the wood before permanent mounting at a much later time.

I will be away from the shipyard for about a week, and will then begin on the stern half frames.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_6b6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6b5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6b2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6b3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6b4.jpeg

Very nice.  Looking at the figurehead on mine I wish I had the forethought to do this prior to proceeding.

really nice progress Bob........taking shape quite well ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking great Bob. Enjoy your time away from the shipyard - we're not going anywhere!

Hi Bob -- Well, I've just gotten to your new build, and find that the theater has already gotten pretty crowded with your fan base!

I'm really intrigued by this build, since I've increasingly begun to feel frustrated with the 1:64 scale.  My eyes have never been great, but even more it's the pieces (not me!) that are all just too small to get much detail on.  I look forward to seeing how a skilled and experienced builder like you handles this build (kit/non-kit, whatever).

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Very nice work, Bob.  I'll watch this build with interest!

I'm building AL's "Independence" which is a colonial schooner like "Halifax".  I'm planning to use the Halifax rigging plan from my Lauck Street Halifax kit to rig the Independence.  The problem is that there is no belaying diagram.  Are you aware of a belaying plan for Halifax?

Thanks so much Martin, Dave and the "likes".

Martin, you've expressed my own feelings about scale .

Dave, I'm not aware of any belaying plan. The good news is that the rig is fairly simple and there are a lot of cleats shown for the masts and shrouds. We should be able be able to figure it out ( I hope;) ).

Bob

Bob:  Hopefully we can figure out the rigging!  I'll contact Clare Hess and see if he can shed any more light on the belaying.  He is currently rigging the same vessel I'm building, which is really nearly identical to Halifax!

Martin and Bob:  I agree with the scale issues.  I've vowed never to try anything in 1/64 scale at all!  I'm starting a Triton cross section in 1/24 scale, and I completed an AVS in 1/32 scale.  Even Independence is 5/16" scale!  The larger scales are easier on the eyes, and allow for more detail.

Hi Bob

Constructo has a Halifax model. I wonder if you could find a belaying plan either from someone who has built this version or from elsewhere. IIRC Daniel Dusek recently acquired the Constructo rights. He may be able to assist you with this. 

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale