Halifax by rafine - FINISHED - The Lumberyard - 1:48 - semi-scratch schooner

I believe he's a member here. He is definitely  a sponsor.  Just check for Dusek ship kits. He should have a thread in the buy and sell forum 

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale

Dave, I almost forgot that I built and rigged a Halifax from the Lauck St kit years ago. I don't have the model and my memory is that I rigged it from the Hahn plan and just figured out the belaying.

Bob

Home again and back to work, so time for an update. I've made up and mounted the three square half frames at the stern. Same procedures as for the full frames. I also did some fairing while waiting for glue to dry. This was primarily in the midship area and consisted of using various sticks and blocks with 60, 100 and 120 grit sandpaper. Final fairing will be done when the frames are complete.

I'm now working on the stern cant frames.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_6ba.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6b9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6b7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6b8.jpeg

I just heard back from Daniel Dusek.  He's acquired the rights to Mamoli properties (not Constructo), and the rigging and belaying plans are from the Mamoli model.  He was gracious enough to send me a .pdf copy for free, as long as it's for my personal, non-commercial use.  The plans are TINY, but you can enlarge them in a .pdf reader or have  enlarged hard copies made at FedEx.  There are 6 sheets of plans in total, and the cost to enlarge all six of them on 17" X 24" paper was $14.19, tax included!

Bob: Daniel asks that I not distribute the file directly, but that you email him personally to request a copy if you'd like one.  His email is the same as his website's:  contact@dusekshipkits.com

The framing is looking great, Bob! It doesn't even show signs of being laser cut!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Hi Bob,
It’s looking real good and brings back fond memories of the FA and Halifax!

I think that by the time you finish fairing them up all signs of the laser char will be gone.

Very nice.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I've now completed the stern cant frames. These presented two problems. The first was the expected difficulty of cutting and sanding the required angles to get a proper fit. That went reasonably well. The second, however, was more troublesome. The aft most frame did not match the plan and had to be tweaked to get it to fit. it remains to be seen after final fairing and assembly of the stern framing  whether this will turn out correctly, or whether I will need to remove it and make a new pair of frames. As I have been doing, I did some rough fairing to get a feel for the fit of the frames.

I'm now working on the bow cant frames.

Bob 

fullsizeoutput_6bb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6bc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6bd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6be.jpeg

I've now completed making and mounting the bow cant frames and hawse timbers. As at the stern, some discrepancies between the parts, jig and drawings required some tweaks and adjustments to be made. As with the previous work on the framing, I've done the rough fairing of the outside of the hull. For the most part, it seems to fair up well. The exception is at the upper portion of the frames ( at the bottom of the photos because of the upside down construction), where it seems that a few of the notches in the jig are misaligned, causing some low areas. This will be corrected by adding boxwood strip to the outside of the affected frames and then sanding them fair. There should be no visible evidence of this because those areas are to be planked over anyway.

Next up is the framing of the stern, starting with the transoms and stern timbers.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_6c3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6c2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6c4.jpeg

Beautiful!  I really like the way your cant frames and hawse timbers came out.  I remember those where somewhat of a pain for me to smooth out.

Thanks so much Sjors ,Michael, Steve and the "likes".

Michael, "somewhat of a pain" is somewhat of an understatement. :)

Steve, everything is easy -- once it's finished. ^_^

Bob

the frame looks great Bob.   the curve looks like it carried over from the sides........shimming it will take care of it.   you'll fix that ...no sweat! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

super looking framing work Bob,

here it shows how essential that jig plate is for placing /holding the frames to distance....;)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Great looking model Bob.  The usual well crafted and clean workmanship.

Cheers

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks so much Nils, Ken and the "likes".

You're so right Nils about the jig. Even very small discrepancies in the jig can cause a lot of trouble, as I'm now starting to see. Hopefully they are all correctable.

Bob

That looks really good, Bob! How is the quality of this framing kit . . . is everything fitting well or do you have to correct a lot?

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Thanks so much  Thomas. Your question is a little difficult to answer. In general, the laser cutting is good, although there have been a few burn spots. The major issues have been that the drawings and the parts don't all match up and that some of the jig slots were misaligned. I've had to make adjustments to overcome these problems and in some cases to scratch build replacements for some laser cut parts. Having said that, it' s been fun so far.

Bob

Great work, as always, Bob.  This is also intriguing to watch as someone who wants somehow to learn more of the skills of scratch-building, and POF modelling.  There's always plenty to discover about these beautiful ships, and your work demonstrates that little fact.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel