Halifax by rafine - FINISHED - The Lumberyard - 1:48 - semi-scratch schooner

Beautiful interior Bob,

cabins and cargo hold....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I love seeing models that really give a feel for what it would be like to be on the real article, really nice progress.  I hadn't really thought about the access to the rear cabin area, will there be a companionway from the upper deck to help access or is access only from the hold?

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks so much Nils, Dave, Jason and John for the kind comments and thanks also to the "likes".

Jason, there is a companionway. In the last two photos, you can see the framing for the ladder opening in the upper deck.

Bob

I've always been impressed with your workmanship, or should I say craftmanship.  Your design abilities are excellent as well.

It's a pleasure watching your progress.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Work on the aft interior hull planking and framing for that portion of the upper deck is now complete. I also added the main deck clamp, the first main deck beam, and further interior hull planking in the hold.

The planking all follows the same methods and materials previously used. The deck framing again uses laser cut beams and also a laser cut partner for the main mast and the pumps. I added the first main deck beam at this point because the forward most beam for the aft portion of the upper decks rests upon it. I also drilled a hole in the keelson for mounting the main mast, after test fitting a dummy main mast through the partner.

Work will now shift to the bow before finishing the main deck.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_70e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_70f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_710.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_711.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_712.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_713.jpeg

Beautiful work Bob,

hope you will leave outcuts in the decks above to view the interior work...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Thanks so much Nils, Dirk, Sjors, Dave and the "likes".

Nils, I intend to leave as much of the deck open as I can without sacrificing or compromising the above deck detailing or the attachment points for the rigging. I've been trying to work it out in my mind, but have reached no final decisions as yet.

Dave, I would think that Fair American would lend itself to an enjoyable exercise in interior detailing, and I look forward to watching you do it.

Bob

7 hours ago, DocBlake said:

Looks great,Bob!  I plan to do a complete interior on my "Fair American", as Mike Lonnecker did on his.  I'm building a Lauck Street kit, but it's been on hold for a while.

Bob, I've been watching this build very closely and been very impressed with the internal fitting out. I also have an LSS fair America and was thinking that it might be possible to do a little bit more with that kit than I did with my Halifax.

Very nice work Bob! All of your joints look too good! :D

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

nicely done Bob....makes me thing I'm missing out on a lot,  not defining lower decks {I do so much with above deck stuff}. ;)    

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

The bow area is now done. This involved a variety of items:

Planking of the forward part of the interior hull, including deck clamps. This was done with various sizes of boxwood strips, as with the earlier similar work. I must admit that it was difficult work to fit the curves  and i'm not very happy with some of it. Fortunately, it will be barely visible.

Two breasthooks. There is no detail of these in the drawings and dimensions were estimated from book photos and limited info in the drawings.They were made from boxwood sheet, using card templates. I also had to drill the hawse holes in the hull to establish the position of the upper breasthook.

Upper deck framing was done in the same manner as previously, using laser cut beams and a couple of miscellaneous laser cut pieces.

The fore bitts. These extend down through the upper deck to the lower deck. They also provide the rear support point for the bowsprit, between the decks, so I had to fit a dummy bowsprit at this point, since it will be impossible to do this at any later time. The bitts are boxwood strip.The above deck cross piece will be added later.

The stove and a ladder. For the stove, the drawings show only a generic looking box without much detail. The book photos give no further help. Since the stove is very small, and will be virtually invisible, I decided to go with the generic box. It was made from styrene sheet and painted black. The ladder down to the hold from the lower deck was made from boxwood strip.

I will now complete framing of the main deck in the mid-ship area.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_715.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_717.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_718.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_719.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_71a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_71b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_71c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_71d.jpeg

You did the right thing with the stove,Bob.  In my POF AVS at 1/32 scale the stove is barely visible...I spent a lot of time on it, which is fine, but not a lot to show for it in it's effect in the model.  Simpler is better at smaller scales.  Overall your work continues to be stunning.  Keep it up!

Lovely work on the lower forecastle platform Bob

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks so much Dave, Nils and the "likes". Dave, I spent many hours detailing the stove on my Essex only to watch it disappear completely as work progressed. I just decided to use my time on other things this time. Hopefully, I won't regret it later.

Bob

looks great Bob,   the fore looks as good as the aft.......very nicely done :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

After spending some time away with family, I've returned and completed the deck framing. This consisted of two tasks: framing the midship portion of the deck, and filling in the spaces between all of the deck beams with inner hull planking. While I wondered if there would have been knees between the beams, neither the drawings nor the book photos show any, and I went with the planking. In any event, the perimeter of the decks will be covered by deck planking, which will conceal this detail.

As with the other deck segments, I used the laser cut pieces for the beams and ledges and boxwood strip for the carlings. Boxwood strip was used for the planking, which had to be cut and fitted for each individual space.

Next will be the planking of the inner bulwarks above the decks.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_71e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_71f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_720.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_721.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_722.jpeg