God... bloody JHA's! Luckily our company has done away with take 5's as people used them as a tick and flick exercise so was just a waste haha

But yes, from walking to the shed and back, making a coffee, siting on the patio and having a smoke. 5 JHA's were completed as the tasks were outside the SWP's, confined space permit needed for entering the shed and a hot works for using a lighter! Hahahaha but the lunch time siren went so all works stop otherwise the union would strike!! Hahaha

Anton T

Current build

1/78 Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal - kit bashed

1/72 Arleigh Burke class DDG flight iia/iii - Sratch built RC - no log

Waiting for further inspiration

STS Leeuwin II 1/56 scratch built (90% completed)

Previous builds - completed

1/72 HMAS Brisbane, Airwarfare Destroyer 2014 -Scratch built RC - completed

1/64 HMS Diana 1796 - caldercraft kit - completed

1/75 Friesland 1668- mamoli kit - completed

1/96 HMAS Newcastle FFG 2011- scratch built RC - completed

1/75 Vasa - Billing Boats - completed

Used to have a hot works permit to drive an LV at Pluto LNG plant as it was classified as an ignition source.  

Are you gearing up and getting ready for the gun ports cutting? After the Wales have been finalized of course. 

Sorry I'm quite impatient when a good build is underway.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Oh it's getting beyond a joke. Have spent the past few months converting JHA's into SWP's which will make life a hell of a lot easier but wow it's a headache getting there. 

Back to to the build haha the main two strakes are on the port side now. I've used the walnut provided in the kit which I find is a nice wood for this. Of course they are very thick so a mixture of heating up the wood in hot/warm water and ironing to get the plank to form around the bows is much needed. I use the iron steam to dry the plank out so it doesn't shrink after fixing to the hull. I ended up purchasing James Sephtons book as an e-book which one I now have instantly and can print out pages and images as I need. A little shame as I do like a proper book but at only $9.85 AU that's one hell of a saving over the hard copy. Again lining everything up according to the Van der Velde sketch of 1659-60 prior to her refit. 

Again unlike earlier ships ships like the Prince Royal 1610, and Vasa 1628 the gun decks run straighter than the sheer line of the hull so the last three ports actually cut into the strakes. Because of this the strakes were run in pairs parallel with each other for the lower and middle strakes. The upper strakes was only one strake and would be lesser in height/width the higher up the hull. The purpose of the pairs was to distribute the weakening of the hull where the ports are cut. This would lead to the build up full bands of strakes as in vessels from the 18th century onwards. 

Once the strakes are on I'll be able to line up the quarter galleries also as these follow the line of the strakes and the correct placement of the gun ports. The maple I've ordered is 5mm so I'll also make sure I've measured between each run of strakes to allow the second planking to easily lie between them.

Below ive attached pics of the first two strakes and the line plan from James sephtons book which matches the Van der Velde sketch. 

IMG_3578.PNG

IMG_3579.PNG

IMG_3589.JPG

IMG_3591.JPG

IMG_3593.JPG

IMG_3594.JPG

IMG_3595.JPG

Anton T

Current build

Congratulations on the first strakes placed. She looking fine!

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

Thanks mate :) I'm quite happy with the way the strakes sit on the hull. I'll do the starboard ones tonight. This arvo though decided to make up a working stand for her now the first planking is complete. There isn't one in the kit so just used a bit of mdf and pine I had in the shed. A lot more stable compared to the clamp I was using as she's getting more weight on her. Also better than propping her up all the time.

IMG_3598.JPG

IMG_3599.JPG

Anton T

Current build

Starboard lower strakes now also applied.

IMG_3600.JPG

Anton T

Current build

I do like the hour glass shape looking from the front.  What's the height from bottom of keel to top of highest bulwark?

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

She does have a lovely pronounced tumble home :) 

the height of the transom from the keel is 27.5cm but will be 29cm and the bows is 19cm

Anton T

Current build

Second row of strakes on port side now on. I originally left the stubs for the galleries on just incase they lined up.... of course they don't match Van der Velde's sketch. Sergal portrays them lower then how I've measured up the ports and strakes so the stubs have now been removed. The floors of the galleries are built up on the middle strakes and the strake above. This makes me believe more so that the original gun decks did in fact follow the strakes as earlier ships of the 17th century had also done and during a refit prior to 1660 she had received flatter decks. Of course this is only speculation as the we don't know what the internals of the ship itself was like and can only make an educated guess. The Van der Velde sketch which is believed to be dated 1659 as she was about to have her second rebuild(James sephton)clearly shows the ship viewed from off the port bow and the hull in detail with the long low beakhead, carvings and extended galleries with open walkways forward of the closed in rear sections. The gun decks do cut through the strakes. Van der Velde's sketch of the sovereign 1660 from the starboard quarter shows a dramatic change in her appearance with a shorter beakhead resemblance of the Prince of 1670, and while the galleries are still recognizable from the squared shaped two levels and three copullas above them, the open walkways are now gone. The carvings aren't as clear on her upper works but lightly outlined so apparent still there. It was from this time that the Dutch named her the 'Golden Devil'. Vertical strakes on the waist of her hull are also now very clear resembling those on other ships of the later of the 17th century, these were to provide some protection while lowering ships boats so as to not damage the wales.  Another interesting thing is on the port side the entry gallery on the middle gun deck is still apparent though not on the starboard side. However side steps leading up the hull are on the starboard side. The book mentions that the entry port was possibly only on her port side, using these and other sketches and contemporary engravings as resources. So for my sovereign I'll only include the entry port on her port side. I'll include the sketches dated 1660 below. I have to admit I really am enjoying the research into her and the 'bashing' of the kit. She definitely had an interesting career especially with her modifications.

IMG_3586.PNG

IMG_3587.PNG

IMG_3601.JPG

Anton T

Current build

As she is now. Now these five strakes are on I'm happy to recheck my ports and cut them out. The upper strakes from now are decorative molded pieces. These are provided in brass in the kit and are actually quite nicely done so if they measure up right I don't see any problems using them.

IMG_3602.JPG

Anton T

Current build

Gun ports on the port side now pierced. What a job that has been lining them up to the existing plans and the sketches of Van der Velde! However the hard work has paid off I believe as they cut through the wales close to what appears in the sketch of Van der Velde. The hard bit has been done so now the starboard ports will be a breeze to mark and cut. Once the starboard have been cut, filling and lining of the ports will begin. Plywood cut out port lids are supplied in the sergal kit which were perfect for the upper gun deck size however the middle ad lower gun decks which carry larger caliber guns increases in size which I have also replicated. She's coming together slowly but hopefully accurately:)

IMG_3604.JPG

IMG_3605.JPG

Anton T

Current build

14 minutes ago, granta said:

Awesome stuff, Anton. Gee, those 17th Century ships have something uniquely attractive about them.

As an aside, I note that you're planning to build the Batavia later. As a WA local, that would really interest me. Is there a kit available? Or maybe a scratch build?

Thanks mate, they definitely do that's the biggest appeal for me.

There is a small Dutch company Kolderstock models which has a kit of Batavia and Duyfken available. From the looks of the Modelers shipyard website in NSW they have their Duyfken kit but branded under their own Modelers Shipyard range. I have though 1/50 scale plans of the Batavia replica about 20 sheets in all along with plans for De Zeven Provinciën (which will go nicely alongside the Sovereign as they fought each other) plus quite a few plans of 17th century Dutch merchant vessels of the VOC so initially Batavia is in my scratch built list. The Kolderstock kit also based on the replica however looks to be a nice kit 1/72 or 1/75 and reasonably cheap also.

Anton T

Current build

Hi Anton,

You are posting quicker then i can give  comment 🤣

Looks dirty😊

I'll be waiting with further comment till she is clean🙃

Sjors

Thanks Sjors haha I remeasured the ports three times and again twice after I mounted the wales so started using different coloured pencils so I wouldn't get confused hahaha she's a little dirty but the starboard will look clean compared. While this kit has a great starting base there is so much that needs changing but I swear once the second planking is on, you'll approve 😊

Anton T

Current build

She's starting to look dangerous now! Well done on a top job.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Anton,

Just saw your current build as it came up...Nice start- looking to be very good indeed. Will also follow along from dry-dock.

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks MJD, if I can get anything like your Vasa I'll be quite proud indeed. 

Have started to cut the starboard ports, measure up each deck first then cut. See Sjors, starboard is cleaner than the port hahaha 

IMG_3617.JPG

Anton T

Current build

Starboard ports now pierced also. I'm following the research that makes note that the entry port was only on the port side so have left it off the starboard. This is quite clear as per notes from one of her later refits an entry port starboard was pierced in the hull as was then becoming present in most first and second rate English vessels after 1670. So we can assume at the time of Van der Velde's sketch only the port side had an entry port. This is also clear in Van der Velde the younger sketches of Sovereign after her 1660 rebuild showing both sides that there is only an entry port on the port side and none starboard but steps leading up the hull. Phew that was a lot! Haha

IMG_3618.JPG

Anton T

Current build

I bet you feel better getting all those cut out. Another milestone.  Looks neatly done. Good job.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Thanks mate, I am but now onto the lining which will be tedious but satisfying once done and the second planking can begin. You might note that he main deck (waist) isn't quite right... and it's not by a long shot.   The fit is out which is one thing but that was never a real concern as it follows the sheer. Correct if building out of the box but of course not inline with what how I'm building her. This isn't an issue as it also sits too low so I will be building the deck up to fit the straighter deck alignment of my build and to allow the proper height for the guns. 

Anton T

Current build

Very well researched. Be good to see. Lining the gunports will be very repetitive but as you said, satisfying afterwards. You only build her once.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Cheers Scott. I enjoy the research as much as the building and do get excited building. I'm far from OCD and meticulous, just have gotten ok with hiding mistakes. While I admire those who can build perfectly executed models with all the treenailing and exotic woods I'm happy with a model that represents a period of the vessel for me so not afraid of painting and hiding woodwork errors or using plastics and abs sheet to replicate steel parts - I use ABS sheets, strips and rod for my 1/72 RC models to reduce weight. Hard to break away from some habits I'm afraid but wood is so refreshing I live the smell of saw dust! 

Anton T

Current build

So if you've been following my build so far I've already mentioned some modifications to the kit and why. What a headache it has been also trying to figure out what, when and why things happened! Haha but that's half the enjoyment right? I'm sure one day I'll buy a kit and just build it out of the box.... nah you're right I wouldn't be able to help myself :)

I thought I'd put down what I've learnt about her, now even this depending on which book and even within the same book there are contradictory notes which don't tie in correctly with later or earlier dates and even the known sketches have been incorrectly dated or just not known. So what my best decipher of all the information I've gathered thus far is as follows. 

The Sovereign of the Seas as most of us would recognize as depicted in either John Payne's engraving or the earliest Van der Velde sketch is of her between 1640 and 1659. It is clear in he Van der Velde sketch which I dated as 1659 (via John sephtons book) could in fact be earlier but not 1637. In both drawings she has the infamous long and low beakhead with the King Edgar figurehead riding a horse over 7 fallen kings, the long extended quarter galleries with open forward sections and light spar decks (grating decks) covering the entire waist and quarter decks. This is apparent as figures are walking on these decks. The John Payne engraving corroborates this as in his engraving the figures are also walking on these decks. 

Originally the Sovereign had these also above the forecastle and poop deck explaining Sergals model based on an 19th century model at the Greenwich museum and other models to depict quite high bulwarks all around her top sides. However it is noted that after she was launched, the officers criticized her stability when with shortened sail in gusty winds the ship handling horribly due to her being too top heavy. In 1641 the upper works of her poop deck (Sovereign had a topgallant poop or royal poop deck also as the most aft deck) and forecastle were reduced by 6ft with the bulwarks now terminating just above the gunports on those decks. This is evident in Van der Velde the elders sketch which shows her still having a spar deck above the waist and quarter deck but on no other decks. Also the bulwarks on the for mentioned decks terminate above the gunports - for clarity this is how I will model her. 

Then in 1651 the Sovereign underwent another refit/rebuild in which it's mentioned her outer appearance did not change and only below the waterline and internal modifications made. I believe this to be possible replacement of rotten floor and hull timbers. It is also likely the remaining light spar decks above the waist and quarter decks were also removed. This seems to be the closest appearance to what most of us modelers understand her appearance to be. The Airfix kit named Royal Sovereign 1637 depicts her in this fashion also. There is one note from John sephton that her beakhead was shortened at this time but doesn't fit in with the shipyard notes from a later refit. As an interesting side note in 1652 during the time of the commonwealth Sovereign was to be renamed 'Commonwealth' however 'Sovereign' was used instead.

1659-1660 was the year of her first major rebuilt considering her outward appearance. It was during this rebuild her beakhead was replaced with a shorter and more rounded beakhead with sweeping in broken line from the figure head up to the forepeak with a gargoyle below the cat heads - inline with other ships of the time and similar to the Naseby of 1655 which later became the Prince Royal. The vessel captured by the Dutch in the Thames. Sovereigns original figure head of King Egbert replaced with a rampant lion wearing a crown, however the vertical carvings from her original beakhead were retained and used on the new framing of the modernized peak. 

Her upperworks cut down more removing the roundhouse (cabin below the topgallant poop) the topgallant poop removed and a royal poop installed- so the upper most poop deck shortened to a smaller strip similar to that of the HMS Prince 1670. Her quarter deck (half deck) was shortened by removing the forward bulwarks of that deck behind the main mast. At this time the forward open parts of the quarter galleries were removed only leaving the box shaped enclosed portion of the galleries- the three turrets above remained. Further gun ports were also cut on the middle and upper gun decks. Vertical skids now fixed to the hull on the waist both sides to aid in lowering of the boats. The final major modification during this time was her transom was increased by 6ft in width to help reduce her leeway (drifting). She was close to 30 years old at this stage and her keel not replaced so it's possible to believe she bega to sag in her stern which would explain the need to increase the size of her butt I the water haha. This for me explains the shape of a squarer ad squarer transom in the Peter Leys painting of the stern of the Sovereign, while still a round tuck stern, its definitely fuller than what sergal and the earlier Van der Velde sketch show.

Sovereign was still quite recognizable as her gilded carvings remained. From a distance apart from the shorter beakhead she would have looked like the same ship.

It was during this period she became known by the Dutch as the 'golden devil' so we know that she did indeed retain her gilded upper works and still a very impressive ship to look at. Also renamed again and this time to Royal Sovereign at the reinstallation of the crown with Charles II. 

1685 saw her last major rebuild. So much of her timbers changed that she was practically a new ship. Most of her carvings are believed to have been removed from her upperworks to reduce the cost of repair, it was also considered to replace her beakhead again this time with the straighter stem as fashionable at the time (HMS Prince beakhead was of this design) but never eventuated during her refit. An entry port was pierced on her starboard side as first rates and second rated vessels now had entry ports of both sides of the hull now. Her now very antiquated galleries completed removed and replaced with the rounder single turret design again as that of HMS Prince's style. Her stern was also significantly rebuilt. While still retaining the effigy of Victory her two rows of windows were significantly changed. More windows cut covering the entire width on both levels with the upper level having an open rather than closed gallery. This resembles the stern configuration of the sergal version more. Not entirely but closer, of course the Coat of arms is incorrect. Perhaps the model from which the sergal model is based at Greenwich is a mix of interpretation of her last stern but with the coat of arms which was common on most first rate vessels of that period. Also her large single stern lantern replaced with three smaller lanterns. From the 18th century only flagships would carry three lanterns and lesser vessels in a squadron 2 or only 1. 

I know I've rehashed a lot during the build so far but just had to put down on paper or somewhere what has now become clear, hopefully will aid in someone's build or just knowledge of the Sovereign. It surely has helped me a lot!

Images below;

•Payne's engraving of Sovereign circa 1640's. Note the light spar decks above the forecastle, waist and quarter decks.

•Van der Velde's sketch of Sovereign stern after 1685 rebuild. Showing open upper stern gallery and single turret quarter galleries.

•Peter Leys painting of Sovereign stern - sometime between 1650-1685. While still round tuck definitely beefier than earlier rendition leading one to believe it more square tuck.

•Van der Velde's sketches after 1660 rebuild. Most notable, shorter appearance of beakhead and open walkways of quarter galleries removed also skids on hull sides.

•Naseby 1655 (HMS Prince Royal as built) showing the beakhead Sovereign would have received during the 1659-1660 rebuild. 

IMG_3493.JPG

IMG_3519.JPG

IMG_3584.PNG

IMG_3586.PNG

IMG_3587.PNG

IMG_3622.PNG

Anton T

Current build

More on the model, have lined the gunports on her port side. I used scrap lime which was too thick but once sanded down made a nice clean opening, to my eyes at least. And have painted them red. Next will be to do the same starboard and trim the curve of the transom before planking that part. Sergal has a smaller second curve at the top of the transom which is incorrect as from what I can gather the Sovereign original transom was one large seeeping curve. I'll trim this to shape, plank the transom and she'll be ready for the second planking to comence :)

IMG_3621.JPG

IMG_3624.JPG

Anton T

Current build

I do like it indeed. Very nice. I smell progress in the air, *Big Sniff*.   Poor Sascha out side missing the action. :(

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Haha well Saschas far from poor has the run of the house and keeps me company in the shed. Which reminds me to me to take her for a walk and release some of her energy 

Anton T

Current build

Wow.... almost missed you and your SoS, Anton.   Long time no see. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Was looking at some photos of a build I'm currently doing and entered through the rabbit hole of logs during my search and came across this one.  Thoroughly enjoying watching your build! Gives me inspiration to log the work I've done so far on a much more novice model.  Keep up the great work!