Allow me to introduce myself:  Miles Davis, Seminole, Alabama, age 71, sometimes grumpy but not often, and never online.

I found LSS in the early 2000's, purchased his practica for the Armed Virginia Sloop (I took the liberty of naming her "Liberty"), Constitution and Rattlesnake,  I finished the sloop, got through the first three chapters of Constitution, and then the Fair American arrived (kit #5).  Off with the Conny and onto the Fair American.  I finished her some time in the mid-2000's and then my life went all a-hoo.  More work, family deaths and illnesses, multiple surgeries on my dear long-suffering wife, Linda, moving to Huntsville, moving back home, more blah blah.  As Linda puts it, sometimes life interferes with living.

I am now ten days post-lumbar laminectomy surgery but recovering well, although still somewhat weak.  So while bedridden, I started reading (for the third time) Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin novels, and have re-entered the age of sailing ships, and there it was--a re-kindled desire to get on with the Constitution.  I have everything I need, I think, including a ten year old unopened bottle of Wellbond glue, hopefully not hardened.  I say I have everything, but am not sure where everything is, but that will be worked out.  I do have the entire printed practicum in three-ring binders.  I doubt I will ever build the Rattlesnake, but who knows?

When I'm feeling stronger I'll post photos of my completed ships.

I went the the LSS website, but everything seems old, like 2015.  I don't know what happened. I never met Bob but considered him a friend at distance, a fellow Vietnam Vet.  I sent him a note at his old email address but it came back undelivered.  I hope he's OK.

Anyway, glad to join you good people and back to the Constitution!

Miles Davis
Co. "K", Third Battalion, Ninth Marines, 1968-69
Semper Fi Brothers

Miles:

Welcome to MSW and to the NRG - Mary told me you joined today - she's working on your welcome letter and sending you the current Journal. 

She mentioned you joining because my cousin toured and played Sax with your namesake about 25 years ago.

I know you will gain a lot from your association with the crowd here - check the various build logs for the Constitution if you decide to tackle it next.

Take care,

Kurt 

Hello Miles and welcome aboard,

Good to hear your recovery from surgery is going well.  Just take your time.

As Mark said, when you're ready, feel free to start a buildlog.

If needed, you'll find plenty of advise, help and encouragement from everyone

I wish you smooth sailing with our gallant crew.

Regards,

Anja

• 1 month later...

Glad to see another Marine reporting aboard. I am in the middle of a Constitution build so stop by and visit. 

I was in Marine helicopters Vietnam tour with HMM-164 and HMM-362 July `67 - Aug `68. Semper Fi to those who fly! This is a great site to enjoy and learn as well. :cheers:  Semper Fi! Ken