I don't know any details about these nets, but could imagine that it would be possible to make one's own nets in larger scales (say 1/64 or larger) using fly-fishing fly-tying threads. I would make myself a jig with appropriately spaced rows of headless pins to mark the location of the knots and then knot away. There is a special type of knot for nets that can be found in the literature.

For smaller scales, one could perhaps just pierce the thread with a needle, where the knot is supposed to be and secure the crossing with a drop of lacquer.

wefalck

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

I'm going to use the material supplied with a Walthers Chain Link fence kit: http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3125 for the hammock netting on my Pegasus build.

It's a soft clear plastic mesh. I've had success painting mine with a few light passes of black spray paint, it still holds its flexibility.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I have heard of a person from the New Jersey club that Chuck belongs to using netting from the super market that they put Garlic in. Not sure if this could help you but you might want to check the markets and see what size they use for they produce. Just a though.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

@realworkingsailor, that looks like interesting stuff. Unfortunately, the picture on their Web-site is rather small. Would you have a close-up of the (unpainted) material ?

wefalck

wefalck

@realworkingsailor, that looks like interesting stuff. Unfortunately, the picture on their Web-site is rather small. Would you have a close-up of the (unpainted) material ?

wefalck

Unfortunately not on me right now, the mesh is somewhere around 2mm square (roughly). You geta lot of extra stuff of course, the kit is to build a fence, but if I remember correctly, you get a piece of mesh about 20 cm by 40 cm (maybe a bit more, like I said, it's far away from me right now.. )

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Thanks,@realworkingsailor, there is no real urgency. I have a particular future application in mind and if you did get a chance at some stage to take a picture, this would be much appreciated.

Tulles have the  disadvantage of all commercial threads: they are fluffy with a lot of fuzz. I think that threads of these fabrics are particularly fluffy to make them soft and flowing.

The hairnets the ladies of our grandmother's generation used to wear might be something else to look into, though the mesh-width might too wide for this purpose.

wefalck

wefalck

The tulle has much more the problem, that it is to rigid ...

There is hexagonal ones which should be avoided and the square/diamond shape ones, which are much more suitable.

As they are polyester, they are neither fluffy or fuzzy but difficult to colorise. Markers work well and fast, but do not know how long this lasts. 

For my small scale it worked well, I introduced a small frame to ease fixing and painting.

The garlic nets i tried too, but they are too unstable in the form as they are elastic.

All the best, Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html