Hermione by MESSIS - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1/89

Just a few days ago I received the Hermione kit and an extra kit of its crew from AL. 

I boght it from the L Hermione Lafayette Museum in Rochefort France. It was the only supplier offering together both ship and crew kit. And more to that it offered the chepeast price including shipping. 

The best thing was that  it arrived from France to Cyprus in only 4  days! Incredible!

Here is my invoice.

RP_20170320_133005.jpg

I opened the kit and I was very happy with what I saw. Great and tidy packing. Materials... wood, cast, etch, etc. everything is first class quality.

The instructions in a dvd with more than 350 pages ( pdf ), colour pictures and text in three languages. Plus a number of videos explaining various building technics and  procedures. Also a part's list , varius other small drawings, templates, paints katalogue, etc. and a colour drawing 1/1 scale with all the ships views. 

I never had such a wonderfull and fine made kitt. Am dying to start building.

RP_20170320_133029.jpg

RP_20170320_133049.jpg

RP_20170320_133108.jpg

MESSIS -

Very nice looking kit.  1/89 scale?  Interesting.  I assume her crew is the same scale.  What will be the overall length of the ship?

How is the quality of the deadeyes and blocks?

I'll be watching - Good luck with her.

- Tim

Current Builds:  Cutty Sark

Finished Builds:  Yacht America

Yes Tim  the crew is also made by AL in same scale representing that crew which sailed 1780 the ship to America carrying Marq. De La Fayette to the American revolution.

As I said all materials deadeyes, blocks  incl. are top quality. Lenght 750 mm

Christos

Looks like she will be a lot of fun. Good luck:)

Crew included. Now that's a difference.  Looks like a great kit. All the best.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

No crew wasnt included. AL offers the crew kit as an extra kit. But is designd specially for that ship kit.... scale is the same and it represents the crew that sailed the ship in 1780

Shipyard in panik

And as everthyng was running smoothly... a thunder has fallen in the shipyard -when- after completing planking between cannon deck and upper deck (16 planks, 4 strakes in each side), I found out my mesuarments were wrong. The distances from bulkhead to bulkhead were misscalculated. So! Had to take the planks out. So most of them became not usable any more. Now am doing planking again and hopping planks wood want come short.

unfortunate, but we have all experienced this sort of thing. It will all work out 

Shipyard under cotroll!

Back in controll again! I tried to restore as much of the discarded wood I could. Soaking helped taking glued planks apart again.... not always.

But now the shipyard is enjoying the work again.  "No jobs lost and no strikes were held!" All the planking from the cannon deck and upwards, is finnished and the accurancy was within +/- 1mm. Am satisfied with that. 

20170329_143928.jpg

Its going slower but its going the way I want it.... accurate!

So I had to draw the cannon oppenings and the clear the oppenings. So the process is: drill holes 2mm diam, about 5 to 6 of yhem in each oppening. The connect them together with a knife or another sort of cutting bit. And at the last stage use fine files and sand paper. 

20170405_093828.jpg

20170405_101548.jpg

20170405_092042.jpg

Be carefull to hold the dimension of the oppening 9x9 mm and ofcourse hold all oppenings on the same curve, which I choose to draw with the help of a bleu tape, as to prevent the oppenings from being untidy at the end (make a zic zack line instead of a nice  curve).

She's looking good messis, the ports are always worrying to cut but measure twice (in my case 5 haha) and cut once. I do the same as you, drill out then a sharp scalpel leaving enough extra to file down. Are you lining the ports also? If so make sure that you'll need the port to be larger to accommodate. Depending of course what you use for the lining. I always make them larger by 1mm and trim the lining to suit as the second planking will cover it up anyway. Keep up the good work.

Anton T

Current build

1/78 Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal - kit bashed

1/72 Arleigh Burke class DDG flight iia/iii - Sratch built RC - no log

Waiting for further inspiration

STS Leeuwin II 1/56 scratch built (90% completed)

Previous builds - completed

1/72 HMAS Brisbane, Airwarfare Destroyer 2014 -Scratch built RC - completed

1/64 HMS Diana 1796 - caldercraft kit - completed

1/75 Friesland 1668- mamoli kit - completed

1/96 HMAS Newcastle FFG 2011- scratch built RC - completed

1/75 Vasa - Billing Boats - completed

Very good comments Tallshiptragic! Yes am going to use linning so I did the ports 9x9 so that after the linning 0.5mm, the end dimension is going to become 8x8mm. But you are right, I just stop working but am still worryed until I resume work and mesuare once more, hopping that mistakes made can still be corrected.

From the looks of it, she is looking very neat and sharp. 

Anton T

Current build

In the scheme of things 1mm isn't so bad, but saying that my lower ports are 15mm so not so noticeable with those. I'd probably fill it or scrap the extra if need be otherwise I'd always know it wasn't quite right haha but that's me

Anton T

Current build

You are demanding.... but so am I. So I ll try and make new clean mesuarments diviation from the curve on the top and bottom  of the ports  and dimensions of the  port it self in hight. The width of the ports is ok, have  allready mesuared and the diviation are less than 0.5 mm.

Ah so even more reason to make sure the dimensions are exact

Anton T

Current build

I'm just a bit ahead of you on the same kit which I think was recently updated by Artesania. Perhaps it previously had a second (cover) planking? It's the first kit (3rd for me) that came with digital instructions on a DVD and was a challenge to plank knowing there wasn't any error covering second layer. Currently deciding if I continue to finish or paint. 

IMG_0614.thumb.JPG.23f7ce4767460cafa4fbe8b21fbfb878.JPG 

Dilbert55 yes you are infront of me.... thats sure. Listen painting will do what a second planking may be was going to do. It will cover up all mistakes. So go ahead und its going to be ok.

Shipyard wont close down Eastern Holidays. No overtime allowances to be payed. (Sorry guys)

So... just finished the gun ports. Deviations  less than 1mm. Double checked and minor corrections made either by shiming/linning (end linning is still for later on) or by sanding.

Now ready for the hull planking. Think its a challenge though the planking instructions of AL are very detailed. Also planking the two decks helped me a lot to get the feeling of the planking wood and  the touch of the planking it self. It definitly prepared me well for the "main" planking.

20170411_104528.jpg

γεια σου Χρηστο.

πολυ καλη δουλεια. Μπραβο.  θα παρακολουθω την προοδο.

οταν θα ερθω Κυπρο το καλοκαιρι θα ηταν ισως αμοιβαια ωφελιμο να κανονισουμε να βρεθουμε, ειτε Λ/σια ειτε Λ/σο, να τα πουμε λιγο και να ανταλλαξουμε μοντελιστικες εμπειριες:).

καλη δουλεια.