Emma C Berry by J Haines - Model Shipways

Nice.. this will be something to look forward to. Some of the other builders who are leaving their boats pretty much unpainted are giving them an 'old' look to simulate age (that is. simulate a very old model) your weathering (to simulate a well used working boat) should be a nice contrast.

Jeez I love this boat :) I know I know I've said it before.. :) and you will no doubt hear it from me again!! :D

All the Best J.

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks

It has been a little while since i updated my log, so here is what i was up to....

I installed the ceiling on the starboard side, i did not run the planking down the full length of the hull, mainly because of the way I am going to build up the cabin and display the model when completed.

It was pretty straight forward, I just fit 1/32" thick strips,although  I wasn't a 100% sure if the ceiling planks were continuous planks, or butt-jointed and staggered.... so I went with the butt-joints, and purposely leaving slight gaps to help with the illusion of a used vessel.

post-2832-0-10025100-1391479735_thumb.jpg

post-2832-0-61883800-1391479750_thumb.jpg

post-2832-0-13445400-1391479761_thumb.jpg

post-2832-0-72093300-1391479779_thumb.jpg

post-2832-0-56542000-1391479807_thumb.jpg

post-2832-0-84987300-1391479821_thumb.jpg

Hello J,  Pythagoras here! What a fortuitous find. My Emma lags behind yours by about two weeks. I just got the plans for the well figured out when I came upon your build log. Your photos are excellent and your work is "top shelf" (that means Jameson quality).

You have left the port side of the well open for display. What are the plans for that? Partial decking? I want to show the interior also. Looking forward to following along with your build.  Cheers-- Pythagoras

Hello Pythagoras..

Thanks for the compliments! I plan on displaying the Emma C diorama - style, with a good portion of the port side planking removed to see the interior. I also plan on making the cabin removeable to see the interior, along with the hatches, to see stowed gear, fish buckets etc... The real Emma C fished for swordfish at one time... so a swordfish harpoon might be stashed somewhere. The live well will stay open.

Before I started I also studied the plans... for a long time. Model Shipways plans are excellent but there are a couple of "grey" areas that I just went with my instinct. Emma C is over 150 years old so im sure at one time my choices were accurate. Plus there are other build logs on the Emma c that are a huge wealth if information that i check all the time.

Im looking forward to seeing your vessel being built.

Hello J,

Thank you for the reply. I have always remembered Emma since I visited Mystic in the early 90's. I have many ME kits in my past but this is my first pof. and I am in love with this one. I think Emma had a good life going lobstering so my effort will be in that direction-now if I can just make a bunch of really small traps!!! Today I framed in the well and cabin hatches. As per your suggestion, I will leave the deck and beams detached for now--don't know yet what configuration will result, but it will be a diorama presentation also. I'm not very computer savvy so I can't post any pictures to the gallery---maybe later--I just bought Windows 8.1 for Dummies and Seniors.  Gotta help!!!

Pythagoras

Hello everybody....

Progress has been a bit slow from here. I have pretty much finished the ceiling in the forecastle (aka fo'c'sle) and the storage hold. next is the cabin, this morning installed the deck beam at # 17 frame. from here I will build the bulkhead for the cabin. I have decided to paint the ceiling and deck beams white.This seemed to be the common practice,plus it will brighten it up when you look inside.

post-2832-0-00350900-1392564809_thumb.jpg

post-2832-0-03816600-1392564826_thumb.jpg

post-2832-0-61876100-1392564906_thumb.jpg

post-2832-0-15609700-1392564920_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

slow progress on the Emma C... 

I put tracing paper over frame 17 layout on sheet 1, then laminated strips of wood together to form the rough shape of the bulkhead. When this dried, I sanded down both sides to even out and remove what paper stuck. Now i can use the card template i made to fit the bulk head up to frame 17.

post-2832-0-56151500-1395000552_thumb.jpg

post-2832-0-54703100-1395000587_thumb.jpg

post-2832-0-93270100-1395000787_thumb.jpg

post-2832-0-67585500-1395000803_thumb.jpg

post-2832-0-13760000-1395000952_thumb.jpg

As usual, excellent work and at a fast pace.  Good work!  I'm somewhat dreading putting in the ceilings, but you give me faith! Also, I didn't realize there was a bulkhead at frame 17... guess I need to check the plans again. 

I really like the weathered look.  One of the old MSW 1.0  ECB builds was a wonderfully detailed diorama of Emma undergoing repairs on the shipways... your build reminds me of that one.  can't wait to see it all fitted out with details. 

Also, it seems some of your older photos got lost... any chance you still have them?  I need to fix my log too... a couple of posts worth of photos got dumped but fortunately I learned from last time and have them all backed up here on my hard drive (and the backup hard drive!)

Cheers! 

To be honest... I dont know if there is a bulkhead or not.. I assumed that there was because of the cabin. I thought it would look good with a bulkhead... I dont ever recall seeing an open floor plan below deck on vessels I have been on. I am sure some do. The cabin interior is nonexistent on the real Emma C. Plus She went through a few renovations in the mid 1900's... from a fishing boat to a pleasure yacht... and i think there even might have been an engine installed at one time along with another mast. I thought the bulkhead would provide better protection, especially in the colder months, help retain heat. thats one cool thing about model building... I can add a door / companion way if needed. Too bad we can't ask the original builder... 

Thanks for your positive remarks... I haven't done much work lately because i started a new job and at the end of the day I am wiped out!

I have all the early pics still. I can repost them.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everybody... did a little model work before I went to work... finished the sole between the bulkhead and the live well... added 1st coat of grey, then added a stringer on the bulkhead to start the cabin floor. now that I know where the bulkhead/sole meet i can add a companion way and finish the bulkhead.

post-2832-0-18389400-1401271840_thumb.jpg

post-2832-0-00357700-1401271881_thumb.jpg

It's looking real nice! Patience is the key. Good work

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

• The title was changed to Emma C Berry by J Haines - Model Shipways