US Brig Syren by David Rice - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64

1 hour ago, Jack12477 said:

I hope you sent them a photo of that in your email to them.

Even better, I gave them the link to this build log.

Starting the Model Shipways U.S. Brig Syren

Working on the Caldercraft HMS Snake

Completed Scratch Built of Russian Armed Merchant Ship Neva 1801-1805

Scratch Commercial Fishing Vessels

Hi David, I am disabled too. I have Chronic Lyme which has given me nerve damage, impaired motor skills, cognitive problems, etc., etc., so I understand the difficulties you are dealing with.  I find that even though it is much harder for us model ship building is great therapy, helps train your hands and mind to do things it wants to not be able to do anymore.

I too am building the Syren. Mine came with the less than desirable wood parts too. My kit was a gift from someone else so I didn't try to get replacements from them. I have had to remake some parts myself as I go along. Hope they replace what you need them to. Mine had a lot of laser char too. Some parts chipped/split on the edges when trying to cut them out.

I will be following along too!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

I have this one on the shelf. When I get home tonight I'll take a look at it. My question is as long as the keel and bulkheads are  straight and the appropriate size does it really matter if they are chipped?  Ultimately they'll be covered as most of us use shims and filler blocks in any case to true up the lines. 

28 minutes ago, JesseLee said:

Hi David, I am disabled too. I have Chronic Lyme which has given me nerve damage, impaired motor skills, cognitive problems, etc., etc., so I understand the difficulties you are dealing with.  I find that even though it is much harder for us model ship building is great therapy, helps train your hands and mind to do things it wants to not be able to do anymore.

I too am building the Syren. Mine came with the less than desirable wood parts too. My kit was a gift from someone else so I didn't try to get replacements from them. I have had to remake some parts myself as I go along. Hope they replace what you need them to. Mine had a lot of laser char too. Some parts chipped/split on the edges when trying to cut them out.

I will be following along too!

Jesse

When I first got sick I had all the symptoms of MS and Lyme Disease.  Tests came back negative for both. Since then, It's been 12 years now,  those who "practice medicine" have found out that my body does not metabolize Vitamins D3 or B12 properly.  I only have around 10% in my system of each compared with normal people. The practitioners do not know why. Both D3 and B12 are required by the nervous system to work properly. I take huge does of each. I have some good days, but more bad ones. Unfortunately as I age, other problems like Diabetes and Arthritis are now in the mix. I used to be very physical. Hunting, Fishing, and outdoor cinematography in Alaska.  I am now paying for that in my knees and Hips. Something the younger people need to take in account.  Yes, you can do long term permanent damage to your knees and hips with over recreation.

In the summer, I try to stay outside as much as possible.  I garden, or I should say, I garden for one hour, then sit for two hours. My model building is for our long "Cabin Fever Winters". I will put my US Brig Syren on hold for now. It's in Model Shipways court now.

4 minutes ago, MEDDO said:

I have this one on the shelf. When I get home tonight I'll take a look at it. My question is as long as the keel and bulkheads are  straight and the appropriate size does it really matter if they are chipped?  Ultimately they'll be covered as most of us use shims and filler blocks in any case to true up the lines. 

I am worried by how easily the material chips while you are working on it. Mine is 3 ply, and looks poorly glued together.  Yes, I could cover it up.  However, who wants to work on a model with the plywood manufactures label stuck on it?  It looks like I would need to sand it off. Which would further weaken the material. I have been looking around. It appears that the plywood used is unique to the US Brig Syren Kit. Why?

Good News:

I just received a very rapid email response from Marc Mosko.   Model Shipways is sending replacement laser cut materials and another set of plans.

Excellent Guarantee and Customer Service. 

David,

I did a little recon on the web and found that the plywood provided is a sheet made for underlayment between subfloor and top-finish.

It has a coarser grain than what we are used to and chips easily, specially the thinner versions.

Glad you got a reply from MS and getting you replacement parts.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

50 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

David,

I did a little recon on the web and found that the plywood provided is a sheet made for underlayment between subfloor and top-finish.

It has a coarser grain than what we are used to and chips easily, specially the thinner versions.

Glad you got a reply from MS and getting you replacement parts.

I can't see where a Kit manufacturer would benefit from, or use such material. I mean, so little material is used for bulkhead building, that the difference in price between the highest quality plywood and the lowest quality plywood, would be minuscule. It just wouldn't make good business sense to take a chance on the cheaper materials. The cost difference wouldn't warrant it.  I would gladly pay more more for a Kit if I new I was getting the highest quality of materials. But then.......I am just a old fashion old guy.  I don't even own a cell phone. 

David -

I'm glad you got a good response from Marc Mosco and Model Shipways.  I have had to request replacement parts from them in the past and have always been pleased with their prompt response.  Their guarantee to send replacement parts at no cost regardless of who is at fault is truly unique and refreshing in today's business climate.

Apparently problems with poor quality plywood and laser burns on wood parts are now not uncommon in Model Shipways kits, as other build logs have complaints as well.  It would be good to hear and know the "other side" of the story.  It would be nice to hear Marc Mosco explain the difficulties he might have with obtaining good quality plywood and also difficulties in production of laser generated wood parts.  

I hope you will enjoy your SYREN build as much as I did.  It is really a nice kit and makes up into a beautiful model.

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

It says something about their quality control inspection BEFORE the kit is prepared for shipment.  LACK of inspection

I have received a email from Model Expo informing me that my replacement pieces have been shipped.

I  use Parchment Paper. A roll of non stick Parchment Paper is very inexpensive.  It is great to work on.  Great for cutting and sanding. Messy glue drops or dripping paint? Who cares. You can write on it and leave yourself some notes, or directions. Doddle while you ponder your next move. Works for tracing paper. Build a template, or protect a surface for painting.  When I am done for the day, cleanup is a snap. Fold up the paper and throw it away. Parchment paper has multiple uses. You can also leave a sheet in the kitchen as a hint that you want some fresh Chocolate Chip Cookies baked.

IMG_4831.JPG

david, I got a different model from the same manufacturer, and I got those same labels on the back of one of my plywood sheets. They peel off easily and completely just with a fingernail. That being said, some of the plywood sheets were pretty severely warped, and I emailed marc mosko. He got back to me within a day, and I had some replacement parts within about a month. The problem is that the replacement parts are no better than the originals. But I emailed him again, and he's going to "make it right" (his words). He emailed Carlos from his company, and told him to check the plywood for damage before cutting the pieces, and also to cut the same pieces from basswood and send me both. So, I think sooner or later I'll be ok. You should try the same.

edit: I just saw that in the time it took me to write that, you'd already solved your problem. but try peeling off those stickers. I think you'll find that they come off no problem.

1 hour ago, RichieG said:

david, I got a different model from the same manufacturer, and I got those same labels on the back of one of my plywood sheets. They peel off easily and completely just with a fingernail. That being said, some of the plywood sheets were pretty severely warped, and I emailed marc mosko. He got back to me within a day, and I had some replacement parts within about a month. The problem is that the replacement parts are no better than the originals. But I emailed him again, and he's going to "make it right" (his words). He emailed Carlos from his company, and told him to check the plywood for damage before cutting the pieces, and also to cut the same pieces from basswood and send me both. So, I think sooner or later I'll be ok. You should try the same.

edit: I just saw that in the time it took me to write that, you'd already solved your problem. but try peeling off those stickers. I think you'll find that they come off no problem.

My labels do not peel off.  I tried. 

Did some research about the plywood and the origin,

Don't know if I am 100% about this, but it looks like import from China.

This after using the info from the "sticky label"

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

20 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Did some research about the plywood and the origin,

Don't know if I am 100% about this, but it looks like import from China.

This after using the info from the "sticky label"

Chinese import all right.  The long piece is warped.  The material is very sensitive to chipping. 

IMG_4855.JPG

IMG_4857.JPG

IMG_4858.JPG

The replacement parts from Model Shipways have arrived.  The Bulkheads are made of the same plywood as before, however these pieces are of much better quality. They are straight, cut clean, have no labels, with very little charring. The other pieces all show less charring also. There is a big difference in the plans. The new plans look and feel new and crisp. Nothing like the plans that came in the original Kit. I am glad they switched out the plans.

Over all, I am satisfied with the material. 

IMG_4875.JPG

IMG_4876.JPG

IMG_4877.JPG

David, 

That looks so much better, now you can enjoy the build to the fullest.

Respectfully

Hi David,

I'm looking forward to your build.  Sorry you've had problems due to the kit supplied plywood.  

I bought the kit a couple of months ago and it was sitting on the shelf awaiting it's turn.  Based on your experience and a couple of others like Svein.erik I decided I should crack open the box and see what I was facing.  Since the plywood looked like the material others were having trouble with I took out the bulkhead former and one of the bulkheads.  On the 1st gentle drift the plywood on the bulkhead was already chipping away.  The stern shaping pieces did not look well cut and I could imagine the frustration laying ahead trying to work with them.

IMG_1160.jpg.81794ad36eea4c1b71de6a5ccae0a612.jpg

I emailed to Model Expo yesterday (sent to both the addresses suggested by Tigersteve and by Dubz).  Within 20 minutes both Marc Mosco and John Garcia had replied and promised to send out replacement laser cut basswood sheets.  I'll see what turns up but since I like the basswood bulkheads and  bulkhead former that came with the Model Shipways Prince de Neufchatel that I'm currently building then I'll be quiet happy to accept the basswood replacements.  (I can't quite imagine how the stern shaping pieces will be strong enough cross-grain without some help from me to reinforce them - TDB)

I agree with the sentiments expressed that Model Expo could save a lot of trouble by ensuring that the wood they supply is of good quality however I am still very impressed with their response to mine and other's issues.  I'm sure that kit manufacturing is a challenging business given the continual need to source material and parts from a variety of suppliers.  I hope that they will do better on that.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

I agree.  Excellent Service. Very fast response.

Hopefully they will learn from their mistake, and in the future, stay with the higher quality of material. There are many excellent American Manufactures of wood products (US and Canada). 

Time to start building.

Today, I finally got started.  I cut out the Bulkhead former, checked the width of the slots, and created the Rabbet.  I try to spend as much time as I can outdoors in the summer gardening. I work on my indoor hobbies from September thru March. So progress will be slower than normal.  I am not much of a social person, in public, or on the Internet.  I may on occasion require a swift kick in the  gluteus maximus.  

IMG_4878.JPG

IMG_4879.JPG

IMG_4880.JPG

IMG_4881.JPG

I bought this " whatchamacallit" gizmo from Hobbyzone.biz.    It's called a Small Building Slip HZ-psm2.  It's made in Poland. It looks pretty versatile. When my build reaches the point when I need it, I'll give it a try. This small slip cost around $50 at :https://www.hobbyzone.biz/psm02.shtml. 

They also make a larger slip which is over 40 inches long.

IMG_4884.JPG

IMG_4885.JPG

IMG_4886.JPG

IMG_4887.JPG

IMG_4888.JPG

I have begun carving the taper from bearding line to the rabbet. I am working on a piece of parchment paper for easy cleanup.

IMG_4893.JPG

IMG_4895.JPG

I finished one side. Not moving very fast.  I tried some sanding sticks that I had bought, but I sure like these Professional Size Emory Boards better.  I just ordered a dozen of them. No, I didn't order the pink ones........

IMG_4908.JPG

IMG_4909.JPG

Raining. A Cabin Fever Day.  I worked on the Knee today.  I really do not care for the finish on the wood that is used for the frame and bulkheads. I'll make sure my next Kit doesn't use the same type of plywood.

IMG_4923.JPG

IMG_4924.JPG

Using my new "whatchamacallit"  I worked on the Keel and false Keel.  The  "whatchamacallit" works pretty good for keeping things straight, level, and inline. 

IMG_4925.JPG

IMG_4926.JPG

IMG_4927.JPG

IMG_4928.JPG

IMG_4929.JPG

It's only 46 degrees F outside today!  It feels like November !!!!  I decided stay indoors and work on the model. Beginning to cut out and bevel the bulkheads. I also need to locate some filler material. Living on a isolated Island in the  Alexander Archipelago with limited access to materials,  that is sometimes not easy to do. 

IMG_4930.JPG

IMG_4932.JPG

David, down here in the lower 48 your "whatcamacallit" is called a line level :D - very useful for leveling small projects like ship's keels - I have a couple of them

42 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

David, down here in the lower 48 your "whatcamacallit" is called a line level :D - very useful for leveling small projects like ship's keels - I have a couple of them

I am still looking for that perfect model making thingumajig.