US Brig Syren by David Rice - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64

Hi David,

I'd mentioned above that I too had requested replacement plywood from Model Expo.  It arrived today and I'm happy to say it is much superior to the original in my kit.  It is actually sheet basswood - not plywood.  I've popped a couple of the pieces out of the sheet and they are nice an strong. I think they will work out very well.  Now it's up to me isn't it?

here's the new sheets next to the original bulkhead former.

IMG_1246.jpg.c6de910ad3eb64f1bc69622897150db7.jpg

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

16 minutes ago, Heronguy said:

Hi David,

I'd mentioned above that I too had requested replacement plywood from Model Expo.  It arrived today and I'm happy to say it is much superior to the original in my kit.  It is actually sheet basswood - not plywood.  I've popped a couple of the pieces out of the sheet and they are nice an strong. I think they will work out very well.  Now it's up to me isn't it?

here's the new sheets next to the original bulkhead former.

IMG_1246.jpg.c6de910ad3eb64f1bc69622897150db7.jpg

I wish I had received the replacement pieces like yours, verses just getting a better replacement piece of the original.  The finish on the original pieces are a real pain in the "you know what".    I have bought two Kits now. Disappointed in some of the wood both times. My previous purchase, the Caldercraft HMS Snake, had chipped, and cracked Lime Wood planking material and broken gun castings.  The next Kit I buy, I want to look into the box, or have the seller show me close-up photos of what is in the same exact box that I am purchasing.  Live and learn.  Well, at least I hope I do.

Starting the Model Shipways U.S. Brig Syren

Working on the Caldercraft HMS Snake

Completed Scratch Built of Russian Armed Merchant Ship Neva 1801-1805

Scratch Commercial Fishing Vessels

Yeah- that's the stuff you should get not that pink crap. 

David, you can and should still request better wood from them. I'll say it again- this kit isn't cheap. 

Steve

50 minutes ago, Tigersteve said:

Yeah- that's the stuff you should get not that pink crap. 

David, you can and should still request better wood from them. I'll say it again- this kit isn't cheap. 

Steve

They sent me some replacement wood.  The same kind, but of better quality (not chipped or charred).  I'll deal with what I received.  But, I will never except that pink stuff with the horrible finish again.  I can't believe they would peddle that stuff. That weird pink finish is a real pain to work with. Never again. I ordered some Birch Plywood.  I think I will start a US Brig Syren build using my own wood. Or tweak the Syren, and build a unarmed Merchant Ship at the same scale. Then work on  both models at the same time.  Compared with other retirement activities,  wood model ship building is a pretty economical hobby.

21 minutes ago, David Rice said:

They sent me some replacement wood.  The same kind, but of better quality (not chipped or charred).  I'll deal with what I received.  But, I will never except that pink stuff with the horrible finish again.  I can't believe they would peddle that stuff. That weird pink finish is a real pain to work with. Never again. I ordered some Birch Plywood.  I think I will start a US Brig Syren build using my own wood. Or tweak the Syren, and build a unarmed Merchant Ship at the same scale. Then work on  both models at the same time.  Compared with other retirement activities,  wood model ship building is a pretty economical hobby.

No kidding, David. It's not exactly cheap but it certainly is way less expensive than another hobby I have enjoyed, building custom M1911 pistols. As the old saying goes, "It's all relative..."

How important is it to get rid of the charring?

1. Do I need to get rid of all of it?

2. I am presuming that sandpaper is my best choice of a weapon for the job?

On 4/29/2017 at 2:55 AM, Dubz said:

The best way is to scrap the most and then use some sandpaper for the rest. 

Dirk

I have been using sand paper and my Commercial Emory Files.  Removing Char residue is not one of my favorite activities.  You don't want to get any of the black dust on yourself, or anything else.  It stains like Charcoal Briquets.

IMG_4936.JPG

David, thanks for sharing your experiences with this kit. I hope it goes well from here on. My grandfather was a minister in Petersburg, AK, and I've been up that way a time or too. I'm looking forward to seeing how this kit proceeds for you.

I have the model pretty well cleaned and lined up.  After I took the pictures, I noticed I had missed some char in a few places. Looks like fairing the hull is next.  I located a small piece of Balsa wood to make filler blocks.

IMG_4938.JPG

IMG_4939.JPG

IMG_4940.JPG

I was cleaning out my old Reloading Equipment, and getting ready to sell it.  I found a plastic box with small separated compartments which is used for storing rifle cartridges.  I removed the box lid. This is the best file, knife, scissor, and small tool holder I have used or ever even seen. Plus, they are real inexpensive. Most Sporting Goods Shops have them for only a few dollars.

IMG_4941.JPG

Yes, I like vertical holders like that. I made one from a bunch of different-diameter scrap PVC cut to length and glued together, mounted on a turntable so I can reach various sides easily. The cartridge box definitely looks good, too.

Too wet and cold to work out in the garden today. So I spent some time sanding and measuring, sanding and measuring.  The red finish on the plywood keeps chipping.  I know it will get covered up, but it still bothers me. 

IMG_4943.JPG

IMG_4944 (1).JPG

IMG_4942 (1).JPG

More shaping, sanding and staying on the level.  Since the onset of my disability, I have had difficulty with reading and writing. That is why you will get a lot of pictures. 

IMG_4945.JPG

IMG_4946.JPG

IMG_4947.JPG

IMG_4948.JPG

IMG_4949.JPG

IMG_4951.JPG

IMG_4952.JPG

27 minutes ago, Tigersteve said:

Pictures are great. Sometimes people write too much anyway!

Steve

Thanks. Before I started getting sick 10 years ago, I was a Wildlife Nature Cinematographer and Photographer.  This new hobby of model making has given me an excuse to take a few pictures.  Photography is nothing more than the manipulation of light. 

Many times a picture is worth more than hundreds of words.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I was able to buy a piece of Balsa Wood locally.  A 1/2 X 4 X 36 inch piece cost me $11.99 !!!    That's more than a T-Bone Steak.  The price we pay to live in Paradise.

IMG_4978.JPG

I spent some time making filler blocks today. Cutting up that $11.99 piece of Balsa Wood almost made me cry. 

IMG_4990.JPG

IMG_4993.JPG

IMG_4994.JPG

IMG_4995.JPG

IMG_4996.JPG

David

I would cry even more if the "skeleton" wouldn't line up properly for planking. 

Looking good, good choice.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Question:

Where are the Mast Holes?

Shouldn't the Mast Holes be reinforced before the Planks and Deck are installed?

Hi David,  Check Chapter 12 - page 54  2nd para of the instructions.  That seems to be when the mast holes are drilled- presumably the filler bricks added already provide the extra support though balsa isn't the strongest.  Page 62 talks about some additional support from a small elevates square section inside the fife rail.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

PS  - chapter 11 - page 48 describes the template for locating the mast holes etc

Doug

Thanks......just like back in college.  Read the book.   I was always one of those guys who drove all around town looking for something, and never stopping to ask direction. 

17 minutes ago, Heronguy said:

PS  - chapter 11 - page 48 describes the template for locating the mast holes etc

i just hope when I eventually get to the Syren that some of this info will stick.  Like sitting in the exam and knowing that you knew it before but not now.

Doug

After spilling coffee on my Manual, I decided to cover the pages with Avery Plastic Sheet Covers and put them in a binder. What's nice is that I can remove only the pages I need to work with.  I am saving work space, and have the ability  to hang up a single page.   Spilled coffee, munchies stains, or being a little wild with the glue and paint, no longer a problem.

IMG_5002.JPG

IMG_5000.JPG

IMG_5001.JPG

Shaping and installing the Bow Filler. With all the filler blocks I used, it's beginning to look like a Chinese Junk.

IMG_5009.JPG

IMG_5008.JPG

IMG_5010.JPG

Great progress on your Syren.  You definitely had some hurdles to overcome with regards to the inferior materials you had to start with.   Keep up the good work.

"I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate   ;) "

Current builds:

H.M.S. TRITON Cross Section by Bbrockel - Scratch Build - Scale 1:48

US Brig Syren by Bbrockel - Model Shipways -Scale 1:64

I worked on the lower deck yesterday.  Instead of laying the planks one at a time, I glued three long strips of planking material together. I outlined with a pencil as directed, then glued them onto a piece of parchment paper. Trimmed off the paper with scissors. Measured the length, then cut and installed.  I really like working on parchment paper.

IMG_5012.JPG

IMG_5013.JPG

IMG_5014.JPG

IMG_5018.JPG

Cut out and fiddled with the Templates. I slightly miss cut the Deck piece at the Bow.  If you haven't ever used the scissors that are used in Fly Tying, you should get yourself a pair. The scissors are unbelievably sharp, and have a supper sharp point that can reach into tight places. Warning: The point on the scissors are so shape, that you can injure yourself with it.

IMG_5047.JPG

IMG_5048.JPG

IMG_5048.JPG