bear

What do you do to celebrate completing a ship?

Ahoy Mates

Just about to complete my Mary Rose after just over 3 years of building. How do you celebrate completing a build?  It's too delicate to break a champain bottle like you would at launching.

Maybe get the others in our building group and have a pizza and beer? What do you do?

Keith

Hello Les here. After a big build I generally check into the Modellers rehab centre to undergo a twelve step withdrawal program. No more searching web sites till three in the morning for the correct passage set for the Captain's cabin door etc or secretly ordering parts from a supplier. I reconnect with my wife and get the howdy total stranger response. Once the sunlight doesn't burn any more I can shuffle off to the laboratory and start my next experiment.

My builds are mostly worked when our full size cruising sailboat is "on the hard" for the winter season.

When I just completed a model, my first feeling is "whew, that's finally done!".  The finish is generally late in the afternoon because I have probably left just a few finish-ups for the next day, so my next step is to box up all the modeling tools and clean up the work table that has probably looked like the after effects of a flash bang grenade, and show my enduring wife of 54 years the finished project, get and appreciate "that looks really nice" from her, and place the model in it's predetermined space.

Step two is to sit down with an afternoon's ration (maybe two) of rum and think of the the build, it's problems but more of the hard and dangerous life the real sailors of the vessel had 100+ years ago.

The thoughts of the next one won't start until our "real" sail boat gets hauled for the next winter.

14 hours ago, Cathead said:

Heave a sigh of relief and start the next one.

I'm with Cathead.  Although the sigh of relief usually has to wait until my darling Admiral has admired (is that why they're called Admirals?) my work, and approved the location I chose for displaying the completed model.

I celebrate the same way as when I am not done yet- a glass of brandy. Besides that; when I finish a model, I have a big "clean-up-the-%$#@#-mess" on my hobby table and swear I will never build another! Than a couple months go by before I start looking at model kits again.

I mount it up on the display board and decide where to display it.Then I clean up the mess on the workbench and contemplate my next project.I do enjoy keeping them and looking at them and to date the only one I parted with was the AL Swift which I donated to my local library that has a strong nautical theme.I did it in stealth mode:I just walked in and put it on a high shelf and walked out without telling anyone.3 years later it is in  the same spot and in great shape.

Philo,

A great gesture, and kudos on how you did it. I wonder if they are still trying to figure it out. You may have created an  unsolved mystery. THE PHANTOM of THE LIBRARY what else lurks in the dark halls of academia.

Well done;)

I have to put the model away and not be able to look at it for at least a few weeks, otherwise, I'm fiddling with it.  There always seems to be a line that needs adjusting for something I feel I missed and end up making what looked to be a 10 minute adjustment turn into a 3 month repair job.

I take photos and post it on all my forums.  Have to admit I'm a total show off.  

I do sit and stare at them for a long time after they are done.  Partially amazed that I did it and mostly remembering the process.  This usually turns into noticing all my mistakes which is good and bad.  Bad that I'm probably overly critical but good because it helps me learn and I make the next model better than the last.  

As I am usually working on multiple builds at the same time I rarely feel "done" but, I do take some time to kick back and just look at the completed ship, admire and criticize the results and identify the areas I need to improve on for the next one.  Then I put her in her case, take down the drawings and pictures from the tack board and set up the next build. I would add that I pour a drink but I will be honest and admit that I already had that drink poured while working so at this point that drink is just a constant... ;):cheers:

Ahoy Mates

Here's what I did to celebrate the completion of the Mary Rose last Saturday. I entered it in the IPMS Seattle Show in Non-Powered Ships All Scales. And came home with three new things to put with it when it goes into a case. Now to work on the other 3 ships that I have in different stages of building. Amati Nina,Syren Cheerful,Pan Art Royal Caroline. Maybe I will "Celebrate" next year with one of these in Seattle. I do not expect to have the same things to bring home. You never know what will happen at shows.

Oh, the third thing is the smile on my face that has yet to go away.And all the good remarks of people said to me about the ship and the questions they had for me on it's build. That's even better than the two awards.

Keith

awards 4-23-2017 005.JPG

Hi Keith, this is Joe from the show! We packed up and headed home before I got to say goodbye. Again well done and congradulations on your Mary Rose, outstanding finish! I'll see you next year!

Joe