Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Elijah - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale -

Thanks Doc and Kurt! Actually, I didn't get it to work as well as I would have hoped. I cleaned it up and got it to spray liquid, but with the paint I could never get a consistent flow. So, I tried an alternative and brushed it by hand. I used a foam brush to prevent any brush strokes, and I think it worked out fairly well. I think the texture of the cannons works with the theme of the rest of the boat, so I'm pretty happy with it now.

Elijah:

Next time you come to a meeting bring the compressor and airbrush back so I can trouble shoot the combo.  Maybe the brush needs disassembly and a deep cleaning.  I will go over it thoroughly and make sure it's working properly before you try to use it again.  I won't be able to do the night of the meeting though.

Kurt

Sure thing Elijah - here are the photos I took.  The lighting wasn't great, and I had to change the exposure of the cannon at the bow, but here are the pictures.  If you want me to send them directly to not clutter your log, let me know.

Cannon shot that sunk it:

IMG_6279.thumb.JPG.1ad2ecc14c47c2360c47a0f4715a4923.JPGIMG_6261.thumb.JPG.d1814389a731669a5662d11b124c0fd1.JPGIMG_6262.thumb.JPG.a0368eec1fcea36ba7204b94a7c78d03.JPGIMG_6263.thumb.JPG.c12730889e10e3a78a562eab055960f1.JPGIMG_6264.thumb.JPG.0c29b8038b3b3ea1046c6c002b4b9808.JPGIMG_6266.thumb.JPG.dc869d6f7365a4333cadfc5883890b59.JPGIMG_6267.thumb.JPG.5b5c12e7401e61272a21b3721c13b3c0.JPGIMG_6268.thumb.JPG.d6fa62a5755e5e417bd26f09b2bdf9c5.JPGIMG_6271.thumb.JPG.54134e0c36ee8cf161bff7c2a2a132b2.JPGIMG_6272.thumb.JPG.a590689e27a03cbbf283e742810c5879.JPGIMG_6273.thumb.JPG.933b072ebac924bfb3525ffe1ecfc569.JPG

Edited by Landlubber Mike
  • 1 month later...

Just a small update. I installed the lower deadeyes, which was not really difficult. Still, it always makes me a little nervous drilling holes in the side of my boat, especially large ones... blub..blub..blub... :D:P Anyway, here are a couple of photos. It's an odd way of fastening them to the hull, isn't it? The builders had very little metal to work with, or time for that matter, so I guess they had to get a little creative.

DSC_0313.JPG

DSC_0319.JPG

• 1 month later...

Some small progress. I've all but finished the metal components of the cannon carriages. The brass bolts need to be painted, but otherwise, they're pretty much done. I'm not so sure I'll be rigging them just yet though. I need to order some more blocks from Syren because I am literally one block short of having what I need to rig them. I also need to get around to the task of drilling the holes in the hull to receive the eyebolts for the rigging. Not the most exciting part of the build, but it must be done. :P Also on the agenda is to order some light grey paint to paint the hawse pipes, which might as well be put in now. That, and I can put in the mast partner too around this point. In any case, there are a number of small projects to attend to, but I'm trying to tackle them mostly one at a time. ;)

The 12 pound cannon

DSC_0679.thumb.JPG.348367d317f17a7abf6174b033245db4.JPG

The 9 pound cannon carriages

DSC_0680.thumb.JPG.7b181f14da3390f5d335c80484451dfb.JPG

Eyebolts with rings to be attached to the 9 pound cannon carriages

DSC_0681.thumb.JPG.b8923a7caaf703c717b4c7bd6980b1cd.JPG

The 9 pound cannon basically finished (minus trucks)

DSC_0684.thumb.JPG.a534a57515d5c8d9acbf45ae2e255444.JPG

• 3 months later...

So, it's been way too long since I've updated this log, sorry about that. :P I've been busy with a number of other activities, but have managed to make a little progress on the boat. My line of approach has basically been to fabricate as many parts as I can without staining or painting them, in preparation for a mystical day in the future where I stain and paint everything. So, I made the anchors! That was pretty simple. Then I tackled the main mast. I've never had to carve a mast before, so it was interesting. I think I was a lot better at it by the end than at the beginning, and I suppose that's how it's supposed to work... :D Still, I cannot swear that the mainmast, or the topmast for that matter, are perfectly round... ;) I have a number of parts to make up before staining and painting day, including the cap rail. I'm probably not going to literally save everything to be stained at one time, but I would like to minimize the amount of time's I do it, since I've found it a rather frustrating process in the past. :default_wallbash: In any case, now I'm preparing to make the spars. Since I'm going to rig the model with sails, I'm going to have to scratch build the spar that holds the bottom of the mainsail. I have a 1/8th scale plan sheet that has it on there, and I both measured it at that size, and also scaled it up with the printer at 400%. I measured the lower spar to be 3/64'' on the plan sheet, but when I scaled it up, the lines got so thick that it looks bigger than 3/16'', which is the drawing at 400%. I've been looking at photos, and just haven't made up my mind as to what size I want to use, so any recommendations? The main spar is 5/16'' in diameter, for reference. It seems to me that the lower spar is smaller in diameter. Anyway, that's the puzzle I'm working on now, but I don't really have any photos to show for that yet, so here's the photos I've got to get you up to date!

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0053.JPG

DSC_0056.JPG

Welcome back! Life sometimes does get in the way of model building, as do other hobbies. With a finite number of hours in a day, often there is just not enough room for all we wish to do.

Good plan with prepping as much as you can to stain at once. That does help to cut down on the down time waiting for the stains to cure and dry. Mast work looks good from what I can see. If anyone questions any rough spots just say it was an emergency repair and the mast had to be hand hewn in a hurry. :) 

As for your spars, while I certainly am no expert, I would bet that the lower spar would be smaller than the upper. if your main spar is 5/16" then I think a lower spar at 3/16 would look appropriate. To know for certain, I would say you would need to know what the diameter of that spar in real life is. Then you could scale it down to fit your model. Hopefully someone can either back up my thoughts or say with more authority on the subject.

What a beautiful build.

I have been to this museum and like you was fascinated with this boat. I took a few pics as well - yours look great. As I recall the lighting was quite suppressed in this part of the museum. The dead eyes in the museum caught my attention - the lanyard holes were not centered as I expected but were offset further into the dead eye. One of your pics shows that as well.

Dave

On 1/21/2019 at 9:25 PM, Elijah said:

Then I tackled the main mast. I've never had to carve a mast before, so it was interesting. I think I was a lot better at it by the end than at the beginning, and I suppose that's how it's supposed to work... :D

Very true. But the other half of the statement goes something like "and my next build will be just far enough off that I forgot it all" 😕

Elijah - your attention to detail has grown by leaps & bounds as has your execution of putting together the small parts. It's a pleasure watching you work....