Wasa by Andre - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Great paint job on the stern. Coming along very nicely.

Edited by Tophog

• 2 weeks later...

First thanks to all who are replying to and following my build. It is a tremendous stimulation to read all your remarks (and compliments).

I noticed in the build by md1400cs and Janv that apparently the current kit is somewhat different from my older one. I have the kit with the blue box.

In the build by md1400cs (Michael) the capstan is shown as from the kit and that Michael decided to build his own because the kit-version deviated too much from the original. I have (re)built mine from the parts of the kit, but my kit-version more resembles the original than his kit-version. I added the beams to the capstan myself.

In the build by Janv I saw his bautifully painted lion figurehead and that its paws fall ouside of the bowbeam. Unfortunately, my older lion figurehead is different as the paws do not have an opening between them. Also the head is differently shaped. I added the white teeth myself.

I have worked further on the items on the main deck. I made new gratings (I added a picture of the old gratings as well), and made them not according to the plans, but based on the museum pictures: gratings within a curved frame, and almost all gratings of the same size.

As described above I made also the capstan, and having seen such in the build by md1400cs, I also added a 'brake'.

I continued further with my coloring, as I now also painted some of the inside of the deck and the doors on the deck.

the old gratings:

post-1291-0-14119900-1369057874_thumb.jpg

my progress:

post-1291-0-45614500-1369057881_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-26311900-1369057898_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-19036200-1369057917_thumb.jpg

My lion figurehead:

post-1291-0-72804500-1369057923_thumb.jpg

Completed:

Catalina from Mamoli (1/32)

European small river ship (scratch build) (1/50)

Currently building: Wasa from Corel (1/75)

Future: Titanic (Mantua), Batavia (Kolderstok), Friesland (Mamoli), Bismarck (Hachette), Prins Willem (Corel)

Hi Andre,

I have read several build logs for this kit, but never noticed this difference for the lions. maybe this "standard" lion from Corel was changed but never theless most attributes are having changes when you look to the original. I decided to use these as it is and not bother anymore about these differences.

for the changes between the kit and the real build everyone is making his own changes looking to some parts of the original and learning from other builders.

PS: is that yellow you are using looking greenish by your camera or is it also in good light looking greenish? what color did you use?

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

Hello Andre...

Hats off to you. I wouldn't even think about restoring this model after seeing that terrible job on the bow planking.

If you can make a beautiful model out of whatever you got, I just wonder what you may be capable of doing if it were a new kit!!! :)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

The yellow that I used on the linings is Revell 312, a satin color. I am not really satisfied with this color, because it has indeed a somewhat greenish hue in it. And in artificial light the yellow is not really visible as a yellow color. Nevertheless, I decided to stick with this color, because I did not want to use gloss colors, and the only other satin yellow in Revell colors (310) has too much orange in it. I used this color 310 for some figures though.

Completed:

Future: Titanic (Mantua), Batavia (Kolderstok), Friesland (Mamoli), Bismarck (Hachette), Prins Willem (Corel)

Andre,

Looking very very good. Ulises is right. Your resurrection is really so great; certainly in keeping with the original history as well. I cna only imagine how you would do with a new kit. Any thoughts on what might be next for you?

I also have the blue box edition. It was such a long time ago, that I may have purchased a separate capstan that looked more detailed and then added it to the deck. It was not until Blue Ensign and Ferit (both of their current builds are spectacular) discussed capstans that I learned that mine was mid 17th century and incorrect. 

You are also right about the deck gratings. Curved frames are correct. Good for you. Nice touch. 

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thank you all for your compliments.

I have several other kits waiting for me. Most likely my next build will be the Half Moon from Corel, which I have bought as a new kit. I had originally planned to do that one first, because it is rather small and does not seem to be as complicated as a full ship-of-the-line warship. But that was before I was able to purchase this Wasa...

Completed:

• 1 month later...

My build has been paused for several weeks. But this was for a pleasant reason: I have been on holidays for some weeks and subsequently busy with sorting and selecting my many photos from that trip. This week I did some small details on the railing and it was very enjoyable to create something out of nothing again.

While being busy with my holiday photos, I realized that I had taken several photos during my visit to the Vasa Museum in 2009. At that time I had not even thought about building this ship model. Actually, I became interested in building a Wasa model because of my Vasa Museum visit.

I have attached some of my these photos, and in some of these even interesting details can be seen.

Until my next update on my progress, which will be soon I assume.

My photos from the actual Wasa in the Stockholm museum:

post-1291-0-97317000-1374256242_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-08876200-1374256241_thumb.jpg post-1291-0-60226000-1374256274_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-00821000-1374256239_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-74349100-1374256236_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-31344000-1374256234_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-06090600-1374256232_thumb.jpg post-1291-0-03035500-1374256283_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-34845900-1374256281_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-44871100-1374256279_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-22946000-1374256277_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andre

Completed:

Andre,

Nice pics of the 1:1 You and Matti are so helpful...

Ulises is right, your resurrection of this almost destroyed example is really astonishing.

PS: Ulises is the MASTER with rigging for the Vasa. His work is beautiful and perfect. He also has one of those amazing rope making machines.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

• 2 weeks later...

I had long thought about, but finally decided to add some nails to the hull of the Wasa. I had seen this on the Wasa model by Michael (md1400cs). I added nails to the thick beams running alongside the hull. In this manner these beams are more accentuated, because I found my hull somewhat poor in contrast and structure.

I am satisfied with the outcome. See some of my pictures. In the front view, it can be seen that the beams leading from the bowbeam to the hull are not ending at the same position. I saw this too late and decided not to redo this, as probably the model will mostly be seen from the side or from the back...

I added more details to the side of the hull by glueing some remaining figures, also to the railings alongside the deck. Later I will be adding the thin railings as well. These figures will not hinder me then. Furthermore, I added a window at the back of the side. (see photo)I followed here what I had seen in the recent pictures from Michael.

post-1291-0-81257900-1375030437_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-14221400-1375030444_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-85240000-1375030451_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andre

Completed:

Andre,

Very sweet looking update.

I really like so much your use of colors. Your painting skills are really so excellent. Your Galleries look very nice. Nice touch on the small windows, they look perfect, as does your bow.

All of our gilded metal pieces are the same in both kits. You are right the lion paws should be on each side of the bow beam. I repainted mine after seeing how great your's looked (your is so excellent)

Regarding the capstan, I believe that the kit included piece was actually more original and that I was the one who thought, years ago when I started the Vasa, that the capstan was too "basic" looking and bought a new piece. That was before I learned here on MSW that mine was wrong. 

Yours is really great. I also like that wooden poles that you have added. The lengths look perfectly in scale. Nice update

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

• 2 weeks later...

Like several other Wasa builders on this site, I decided to change and improve something: I was not really satisfied with the brass strips of the galleries. They did not stand out in my full color painted ship, also not when painted. Therefore, I have started replacing them with wood. I have seen this in other builds with good results and decided to try this myself as well. I have now done these strips on the starboard side and next is the port side...

I will later decide if I can add some additional vertical bars/poles to simulate the standing sculptures along these mid-gallery strips.

In addition to these gallery strips, I have also added some yellow decoration to the towers to simulate the painting as I see it on the Stockholm model, and have also added the circular holes in the lower galleries and in the stern.

The pictures:

I bent some brass wire circular and then clipped it to size and glues them to the towers:

post-1291-0-33777000-1375812868_thumb.jpg

The starboard side of the stern:

post-1291-0-14343900-1375812875_thumb.jpg

The port side of the stern:

post-1291-0-95325100-1375812881_thumb.jpg

Completed:

very good rebuild

i hope read you quickly for more details!

Of the bank I look at an ocean of pleasure, or the tumult attracts you, this global movement will be your tipcart!

current build:   royal caroline

buid finished:  la recouvrancehttp://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3025-la-recouvrance-by-ofencer29350/page-2?hl=recouvrance

Andre,

Looking super excellent. Love your colors. Nice update.

R/  Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

• 2 weeks later...

Some text, although the pictures probably already tell enough..

I have meanwhile finished the yellow strips of the galleries on the port side.

post-1291-0-51136500-1376862401_thumb.jpg

And have subsequently done some minor work on the bow section: I still had to make both gun ports closest to the bow. When rebuilding the bow section I had not yet made these ports. Luckily, it was solid wood underneath at this part of the bow, so it was only drilling until the correct dept was reached. I subsequently painted the inside of the gun port black, as I had done with the others.

post-1291-0-01889700-1376862399_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-76177300-1376862396_thumb.jpg

In addition, I have replaced the straight beams (with holes for the rope holders) with curves beams on the bow section (floowing examples on this forum). And made the deckhands to be placed on the deck.

post-1291-0-43678900-1376862385_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-52676800-1376862389_thumb.jpg

And have build the upper part of the stern, using the very detailed pictures of Michael (md1400cs) as guidance.

post-1291-0-07961800-1376862394_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-73298400-1376862391_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-25842200-1376862387_thumb.jpg

Completed:

Andre,

This is no longer a restoration. It has become a beautiful work of art. Great look at the bow. Your doors are very cool. Your weather deck stern piece looks excellent. Nice having photos isn't it? (:-) Nice update. We are at similar stages. I plan to install the bow figures this week. I notice that you did not place them on small pedestals. I was hoping to do that on mine, but there is no space. I will mount them as you did yours. They look really great.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michael,

Thank you for your nice words.

We are indeed at almost the same stage in our build, but yours still serves as an example for me. Having found this forum is very fortunate for me, as I see many well build examples that are inspirational for me to try and improve and adjust on the standard model. Ans seeing that many photos of Wasa models is also very helpful, and indeed a reason to make more photos myself during my build.

Completed:

You'd never know this is the same ship as on pg1......... excellent work Andre, beautiful work.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Andre,

Nice pics of the 1:1 You and Matti are so helpful...

Ulises is right, your resurrection of this almost destroyed example is really astonishing.

PS: Ulises is the MASTER with rigging for the Vasa. His work is beautiful and perfect. He also has one of those amazing rope making machines.

Regards,

Michael

I didn't see this message when posted, and it humbles me. Thank you Michael!!!. Your words are really encouraging. Too bad my work on my Vasa has been slow due to some other things I have to do. 

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

• 2 weeks later...

The last 2 weeks I have been busy with making the decorative parts between the stairs on the decks. In the 1:10 model in the museum there are several scluptures visible in these sections. Therefore, I decided to remove the kit-sculpture and make my own. I have emulated the very small sculptures by painted small pieces of wood, and I made some decoration that should emulate the sculptures that are visible between the stairs on the main deck. The pictures show how this turned out.

Having done so, I also glued the deckhands to the deck.

post-1291-0-55132900-1378043917_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-56194900-1378043914_thumb.jpg

post-1291-0-03919900-1378043916_thumb.jpg

Completed:

Matti,

The railing at that section is not part of the Corel kit, nor is it present in the 1:10 model in the Stockholm museum. I had seen a shorter railing at that section in the build from Michael (md1400cs), and in my opinion it seemed a suitable location to have a small railing.

Completed:

Andre,

An other very nice update. I really like your vivid colors. So much in keeping with the Vasa as it might have looked. Excellent paint work you are very gifted.

Thanks for mentioning me very nice of you. I also have been helped by visiting other's builds. Regarding Matti's question, I also noticed that the 1:1 and the 1:10th do not have a railing at that location, but I did find this reference.

PS: After seeing your bow entry doors I wanted to pull mine out and start again (:-) Yours are so perfect.

Regards,

MIchael

I did, in fact see a reference for that railing in the Corel instructions

post-735-0-93949000-1378056350_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-08005600-1378058361_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-83579900-1378058367_thumb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed: