Emma C Berry by Steven1 - Model Shipways - scale 1:32

Thanks! As far as the holes for the wet well goes, from what I can see of the actual boat at Mystic, those no longer exist and the model is based on a relatively recent reconstruction. I've chosen to leave them out.

I also put a slight bevel on the plank edges to make them show when the hull was painted. No sense doing all that work if you can't see it!

I'm working on adding the white side trim pieces today; I've cut very thin pieces of stripwood which I will paint and then apply. I'll post a pic when that gets finished, probably tomorrow.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress on the ECB. Had to deal with the decorative white striping; decided to handle that by ripping some very fine strips, painting them, and gluing them on.

Next, dealing with the lettering. Ordered a set of gold rub on letters. Good news is that the font matches the real ECB very well. Bad news is that there are only 2 "M's" of the required size, meaning that even if I don't screw any of them up, I'll need a total of three sheets. Oh well, we've come this far......

I'll paint up some wood to practice applying, using un-needed letters. Attached is a photo showing how I've "mocked up" (or maybe mucked up) how the letters hopefully would be applied.

(BTW, the planks are actually tight..as previously stated I beveled the edges to make them show up after paint. May have overdone it a bit....)

Also I completed the chainplate-deadeye assemblies. Used Chuck's deadeye "kits". Very nice. My soldering skills need some tuning, though. I may actually re-make them.

Comments, suggestions, and taunts solicited!  😄

Steve

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

Edited by Steven1
additional info

Started putting on the lettering today. I'm using Woodland Scenics MG703 Roman R. R. Gold. 

On stern "Emma C. Berry" is 3/32 size; "Noank" is 1/16 inch. Gold will need a bit of re-touching with gold paint.

I tried 1/8 inch along bow; it's too big and will be sanded off tomorrow! I'll use the 3/32 as on the stern.

Steve

5130280918_cc59557c77_z.jpg

DSC_000221.jpg

DSC_022005.jpg