Painting brass fittings

I am building my first model and painting with paints supplied for the kit which is by Caldercraft. I cannot seem to get the metal dull black paint to uniformly cover the brass. Does anyone have any tips please?

Current build - HM Mortar Convulsion (Caldercraft) - Suspended pending rigging experience

HMS Sharke (Sergal)

On the shelf: HMAV Bounty (Caldercraft), Portsmouth (Mamoli) & HMS Victory (Caldercraft)

See the Metal Blackening posts in this section.  I had a hard time getting paint to stick, I switched to oil base flat enamel with 2 coats. I will shortly be getting into chemical blackening of metals which is the other option for making brass black.

Ken

Edited by BareHook

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

Thanks Ken, I will have a look. Glyn

Current build - HM Mortar Convulsion (Caldercraft) - Suspended pending rigging experience

HMS Sharke (Sergal)

On the shelf: HMAV Bounty (Caldercraft), Portsmouth (Mamoli) & HMS Victory (Caldercraft)

Your fittings may be too smooth.  For paint to stick the surface must have a little tooth.  Try soaking them in some vinegar for a while.  After insing and cleaning try the paint again. 

David B

• 2 weeks later...

When painting metal always prime first with gesso. The arylic paint loves to stick to gesso.

BFN

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

“there is wisdom in many voices”

Completed: Sharpie Schooner (Midwest) Posted  to the Gallery

Current: Sultana (MSW)

Current: Phantom (MSW)

Next: Lady Nelson (Amati Victory)

It is better to apply chemical blackening, than paint, for example Blacken It liquid to giving of brass fittings of black color or 20% solution of selenious acid.

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

Blackening only works on the brass itself, not on soldered joints. However, blackening first and then applying a light coat of black with an airbrush might be a good solution - the second best would be applying the paint with a brush. The blackening gives the brass a 'tooth' as well as being obviously being already black. In any case careful degreasing and not touching the parts with bare hands before either blackening or painting is essential.

wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg