Bluenose by jre8655 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:100

The time has come for the tedious part of the build.  The Ratlines!  This is probably going to take me longer than I am anticipating, but I want to make sure that at this stage of the build I don’t do something that is going to detract from the overall appearance of the model and I sure don’t want to damage any of the other structures or rigging.

I used the jigs I made for the Deadeyes and glued a horizontal guide to them to provide uniform spacing for the Ratlines.

post-723-0-98640000-1390941193_thumb.jpg

I did a little research, both here in the forum and in two of Lennarth Petersson’s books on rigging, to get an idea of just how to properly tie the Ratlines.

I have also secured the expertise of a Ratline expert.  He assures me that he is the one that put the “Rat” in Ratline.

post-723-0-40463300-1390941220_thumb.jpg

Jack

Builds:

Bluenose  (Model Shipways 1:100)

Cutty Sark (Mini Mamoli)

Mayflower (Model Shipways)

Queen Anne's Revenge

Ghostbusters Proton Pack

• 2 weeks later...

Tying Ratlines is slow and tedious.  My assistant seems to have abandoned ship!

Using the jigs I constructed, the Ratlines are going in evenly.

post-723-0-63048600-1391802813_thumb.jpg

It’s taken me 10 days to complete the Port Side.

post-723-0-80660600-1391802838_thumb.jpg

I’m switching my jigs over to the Starboard Side now and hopefully will have everything completed within the next week.

Jack

Builds:

Cutty Sark (Mini Mamoli)

Queen Anne's Revenge

Ghostbusters Proton Pack

Nice job.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Well done Jack !

not an easy scale you have Chosen, but it is turning into a beautiful Glocester fisherschoner

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I present, for your inspection and critique, my completed rendition of the Canadian Schooner Bluenose.

I tied the last knot at 1730 hour MST this evening.

post-723-0-18173800-1391910088_thumb.jpg

post-723-0-33312500-1391910117_thumb.jpg

Just to add a bit of authenticity and acquire official approval of the model, I asked my neighbor to come over.  He, being from Canada, inspected the model and gave me a thumbs up.

post-723-0-21595000-1391910141_thumb.jpg

From start to finish this has been an adventure.  I am very pleased with the Model Shipways Kit and the quality woods and especially the building manual.  Granted, there are a number of improvements that can be made to any kit, but overall this is a well thought out product.

I’ve learned to bend and shape various woods, sew sails, and above all patience!

My next step is to complete the display case and mount the Bluenose.

To all of you that have followed this build and provided instruction, and inspiration, I thank you.

Jack

Builds:

Cutty Sark (Mini Mamoli)

Queen Anne's Revenge

Ghostbusters Proton Pack

Just started reading and found she's already done.  What a great log and a great build.  She really turned out nice.  Good job!. 

Congrats Jack!

My Bluenose 1:100 will be out of dry dock soon and i will be using your build log for guidance.  

I like the way you did your rat lines and this will be a great help!

Congrats and enjoy!  

Dee Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

I used the time between building phases to get over to the community woodshop and whack out some lumber for a display case.  As Yambo pointed out, I wanted to get her under cover before any dust, or fingerprints from the grandkids, settles on the rigging.

I used Poplar for my display case because it was readily available in the sizes I wanted and gives a nice contrast to the darkness of the Bluenose paint scheme.

post-723-0-61338400-1391960085_thumb.jpg

post-723-0-63972100-1391960115_thumb.jpg

The case is designed to be assembled around the model once it is secured to the base.  The corner rails are secured to the base with brass wood screws and the top is then fitted to the corner rails and secured with brass wood screws.

I looked into purchasing glass for the display case, but found it to be very cost prohibitive.  Regular single strength glass is too fragile and would break very easily and tempered glass is outrageously priced.

I discussed the use of various materials with a tech at Lowe’s and finally settled on using 1/8th inch Lexan instead of glass.  At least I know it isn’t going to break and it will be indoors and out of the sun so I’m not too concerned about yellowing or clouding.

post-723-0-35993900-1391960257_thumb.jpg

A while back I read a post describing some of the ways various builders put little treasures in their models.  As the discussion progressed it was suggested that the build log for the model be somehow incorporated into the display.  There were several suggestions including CD ROMs and then the use of a USB Flash Drive that could be encased with the model.

I purchased a number of 1 Gigabyte USB Flash Drives through Amazon and then set about designing a combination nameplate holder and USB box.  This is my final result.

post-723-0-02307700-1391960309_thumb.jpg

post-723-0-08655000-1391960310_thumb.jpg

post-723-0-98632900-1391960310_thumb.jpg

The USB Flash Drive, containing all my photos of the build and the complete build log, will be placed into the box and then the construction will be secured to the Display Case floor with brass screws.

Once the model is secured to the base of the display case and the nameplate/USB box is in place I’ll assemble the sides and secure the top.

This will finish my build log.  My next post will be in the “Gallery of COMPLETED Kit-Built Ship Models” with the finished display case.

Jack

Builds:

Cutty Sark (Mini Mamoli)

Queen Anne's Revenge

Ghostbusters Proton Pack

Great build, thanks for sharing.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Well done, sir!  I like the touch of storing the log along with the display.  Your work is nice and clean - nice to see another one of these bad boys finished up. I am concerned about one thing - am I going to have to find a Canadian friend the vett my completed model when I get there?  Maybe I'll send Sawdust a plane ticket when the time arrives :)

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

The flash drive idea is really neat.  What a cool way to store all of the information and photo's.  

The flash drives are inexpensive and available through Amazon.  The ones I bought were a 1 GB and were $3 apiece.

As far as finding a Canadian to authenticate your Bluenose, it's not mandatory, but fun!  My neighbor has been following my build for some time now and even brought his son over to see it.  It seems that this is a very well known ship in Canada.  Even my neighbor's wife knew about it.

I do plan on making a drawing of the nameplate/USB holder for future reference.

Jack

Builds:

Cutty Sark (Mini Mamoli)

Queen Anne's Revenge

Ghostbusters Proton Pack

One of the things you have to think about is lexan needs a plastic cleaner. Be careful of the type of cleaner you use. Do not use any product containing ammonia and use a cloth np paper towels. This will keep the case from clouding and getting scratched.

David B.

I pretty much have to say that at this point my build of the Bluenose is finished.  There is nothing else I can do except put it on the shelf and admire the finished product.

All the pieces of the display case were cut at our community woodshop.  That kept all the sawdust out of my garage and house.

post-723-0-06881400-1392066054_thumb.jpg

All the parts were tested to see if everything went together as planned.  I had to make a small adjustment to the groves in the base, but other than that it went together nicely.

post-723-0-53862400-1392066086_thumb.jpg

Here is the finished build.  There really is nothing else to write down.  I will post some photos in the Gallery of competed models.

post-723-0-42620300-1392066088_thumb.jpg

Note the nameplate holder.  The USB Flash Drive with my complete build log, resource material, and all photos is encased in the box built into the holder.

Jack

Builds:

Cutty Sark (Mini Mamoli)

Queen Anne's Revenge

Ghostbusters Proton Pack

Nice job. I like the way you took the time with the ratlines. :D

Thanks for sharing.

S.os 

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Well done. She's a fine model.

Bob

Jack:

Very well done. The model is absolutely beautiful. The case is really nice as well. Congratulations.

Russ

Great work - such a beautiful ship

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 2 months later...

Nice work Jack.... she looks great!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)