Wardell Bridge and boat by Tecko - Small - 1:72

10 hours ago, Omega1234 said:

Hi Tecko

Great work on the buoy.  In fact, having seen your hand in the photos, gives me some idea of the overall size of your diorama.  It must be huge!

Pls keep the updates coming.

Cheers. 

Patrick

Hello Patrick. I have noticed that you have already seen photos of the overall size (4 x 8 feet) of the diorama. So I am now assuming you mean that the buoy is huge in regards to scale. That was my first impression too. They are huge, especially the ocean going buoys.

xqWh8YL.png

Some of the cranes they use on the buoy tenders are huge also.

Peter.

Current Builds:  Wardell Bridge, Bridge on River Kwai, ADLIB-1, and the U-2540

@Omega1234, @mtaylor, @druxey, @BANYAN

Thank you for your responses. Much appreciated.

Back to the Buoy Tender.

Installed the cabin. Added an angled railing along the gunwale.

4Wf8pZa.jpg

Added doors and portholes. Made a cement black anchor for new buoy, and an old signal direction finder (for tracking a stray buoy). Strated to paint the boat.

jQKCvsX.jpg

Peter.

1 minute ago, Omega1234 said:

Ship...Boat...I’m never really sure about the correct terminology, but what the heck, it looks great, either way!

Thanks Patrick.

I think it is too small for a ship, but some sailors say that a ship can carry a boat (so if it carries a life boat, it is a ship). It's a quasi terminology, because there are too many variable definitions IMHO.

Peter.

Interesting vessel Tecko.  For my couple of bob's worth and only an observation not a critique, the vessel design looks fit for purpose, but the bridge looks slightly oversized/out of proportion.  With the bridge hanging out over the sides it would be a hell of a vessel to berth safely due to clearance with pierside obstructions etc. That said, it is an interpretative display/diorama you are doing so only the 'rivet counter' critics should get upset :)  Nice work as usual.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

57 minutes ago, BANYAN said:

... the bridge looks slightly oversized/out of proportion.  With the bridge hanging out over the sides it would be a hell of a vessel to berth safely due to clearance with pierside obstructions etc...

Thank you for enlightening me. Will keep that in mind for future ad hoc boat/ship builds. 

Peter.

Decided to use condensed insulation foam for landfill.

Discovered that it cuts well with a thin stiff bladed knife. Used it for cutting out initial shapes and for whittling surface shapes.

A rasp file works well for shaping the foam to fit snugly between the around structures.

Started with the easiest landfill parts of the landscape.

PVA Glue works really good between foam and raw wood.

pncBZrI.jpg

Decided to use water-based wood putty as a filler over the foam surface.

Discovered that it was too fragile for my purpose. It was suggested that I use a 50-50 PVA-water mix as a sealer.

Applied two coats. The first soaked right into the putty, the second coat became a hard skin (so to speak).

0hvEPfg.jpg

5Q9aHBY.jpg

59ndKoB.jpg

Peter.

Modrock plaster of Paris bandage works really well for landscapes. Much used by railway modelers. It’s easily shaped, sets quickly and produces a realistic scale finish worth bearing in mind if you have a future need. It would cover the foam really well. Love the build.

Edited by KeithAug

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Thank you @KeithAug for the tip. Will give it a try next time ... hopefully the diorama won't be too large, for plaster can get quite heavy.

Thank you @mtaylor, @Omega1234, @BANYAN, @druxey, @paulsutcliffe, @oneslim for your 'likes'.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

mrPSHsn.jpg

or4BNGj.jpg

R6HPz5H.jpg

UiPpLE7.jpg

SoaymSM.jpg

Peter.

Looks very good Tecko; that mulch came out really well and 'in scale'.  

cheers

Pat

Good Idea btw to use a blender for this (but I suppose your wife did not know about this :-).

But you have to clean your blender thoroughly, otherwise you'll end up with smoothies fortified with pieces of wood. I don't know if that is healthy!

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available   

Thank you Pat, Patrick and Hans for for compliments. Hans, there is nothing wrong with a bit of fibre in the diet :D.

Thank you @Omega1234, @mtaylor, @oneslim, @KeithAug, @druxey, and @BenF89 for your 'likes'.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Before getting carried away with laying down the mulch everywhere, I had to make many posts that the council lads inserted on both sides of the bridge.

xHcyPoT.jpg

2DkLYxz.jpg

Peter.

DIY static grass applicator. It works very well for small dioramas (1 or so square feet max). Any bigger and the charge gets overly dissipated and becomes weak.

DnNrBTu.jpg

7KAPuzz.jpg

kJhDMNS.jpg

Experimented with grass applicator on the diorama. Results were mixed, but generally poor. Ended up using a small vacuum cleaner to assist in raising any loose grass into a vertical position. Repeated this application on the same area while the glue was still wet. This helped.

The shire council applied lots of wood-chip mulch over the north-side of the bridge. I did the same, and for both sides of the bridge to even up the display.

Grass, plants and trees will cover much of the mulch.

6TUm86v.jpg

Vwr8cw8.jpg

xLSNJyy.jpg

Added previous grass sample (patch) to diorama. It peels off the baking paper and then glued where you want it (great for clumps of grass).

Edited by Tecko

Peter.

Very convincing effect when it works Tecko, pity you had to assist with the vac.  The diorama is coming along really nicely -- are you going to add the council workers (or should I say 4 x supervisors and one labourer ;))

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Convincing grass, other than (in the photos) the 'Pasture' color is a bit too intense. That other packet of flock marked 'Spring' looks better to my eye. Nice progress with your landscaping.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

2 hours ago, druxey said:

Convincing grass, other than (in the photos) the 'Pasture' color is a bit too intense. That other packet of flock marked 'Spring' looks better to my eye. Nice progress with your landscaping.

Thank you for sharing your appeal. It is always good to know what others are attracted to.

Personally, I am a colourist. Intense colours have a strong appeal for me.

In regards to the grass, I love lush. If I was a dog, you would find me belly laying on the dark green lush grass. :D

Peter.

9 hours ago, BANYAN said:

Very convincing effect when it works Tecko, pity you had to assist with the vac.  The diorama is coming along really nicely -- are you going to add the council workers (or should I say 4 x supervisors and one labourer ;))

cheers

Pat

:D

Yes, will have a few on the bridge.

But not sure where else on the landscape. It has been suggested to show them spreading the mulch from a wheelbarrow.

Peter.

Thank you @BANYAN and @druxey for your comments.

Thank you @Omega1234, @BANYAN, @michael mott, @KeithAug, @BenF89, @Jack12477, @oneslim, @mtaylor, and @prutser for your 'likes'.

A fair bit of the ground will be covered with trees, especially the south-west side (other side of car park).

9YGixGw.jpg

wbDiVLc.jpg

dhRBWEX.jpg

ZNRSlvw.jpg

at1AQUN.jpg

NGt6aKj.jpg

Peter.

From the bird's eye view, very convincing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That is looking great Tecko; the colour and 'patchiness' of the grass  to the bottom end of the lawn around the house is spot on (in the photo at least) for "Aussie' grass that has not been manicured ;):).

cheers 

Pat

Thank you @mtaylor, @oneslim, @prutser, @BANYAN, @Omega1234, @Jack12477, and @paulsutcliffe for your reactions and comments.

9 hours ago, BANYAN said:

That is looking great Tecko; the colour and 'patchiness' of the grass  to the bottom end of the lawn around the house is spot on (in the photo at least) for "Aussie' grass that has not been manicured ;):)...

Well Pat, that is a problem. We need to fix that up somewhat...with The Whopper!

TlA6yHx.jpg

GvMRYs1.jpg

Peter.