English Pinnace by Tigersteve - FINISHED - Model Shipways

Hola Steve:

As others say, the planking looks very nice to me, probably you use a microscope to check your planking!!  hahaha

Saludos, Karl

• 2 weeks later...

Bulkhead centers were removed with the needle file shown below. The process went smoothly. Inboard fairing is moving along. We're just about 1/16" thickness all around. I'd like to get it closer to 1/32". I'm back and forth between sandpaper and my rotary tool with a sanding disk attachment. 

Steve

IMG_3764.JPG

IMG_3765.JPG

I am just now joining your build log but have really enjoyed reading and learning from it. Your boat looks great. It looks like a challenging project for sure.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

• 2 weeks later...

Below are the process photos of the floorboard installation. Shaping the planks was accomplished first. I traced a cap to create the rounded shape at the bow. Next step was to install the middle plank. After this dried, the next two outer planks were glued. Finally, the last two planks were installed. Wipe-on-Poly was applied the following day. Five non-consecutive days to complete this process. 

After applying the finish I noticed a plank was a bit loose. This will be fastened before the next steps. 

Steve

IMG_3766.JPG

IMG_3769.JPG

IMG_3774.JPG

Edited by Tigersteve

It's looking really nice Steve. My longboat planking instill giving me fits. I made tick strips and layed out one plank and glued it in but ended up ripping it out because there was a gap at the rabbit on the bow. I wish I had used the tick strips from the begining. Your boat is an inspiration. 

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

The aft platform was fairly simple to craft. Edge-glued after using a #2 pencil to simulate the caulking. After I was satisfied with the shape of my template I traced it onto my maple strips. Straight cuts were made with several passes of an exact knife for the general shape. The rotory tool with sanding disk got the wood close to the outline so I could fine sand the rest.

Since the strips were edge-glued, there was a slight bend. I braced the back with a single strip of wood. One more sanding and coat of finish is needed before it is glued. 

Steve

IMG_3780.JPG

IMG_3776.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Shaping and installing the risers was a tricky task. I matched the curve of the third strake down from the shear fairly close. More time was spent creating a symmetrical pair. 

Now I can add some paint and begin some small structural modifications. I'm inspired by the below example provided by Chuck to our fellow member in his build. Shown below. 

Steve

IMG_3849.JPG

IMG_3744.JPG

Edited by Tigersteve

Thanks guys! I have Tamiya flat red from my Longboat project. I was considering changing the colors to orange and green to match this example I showed, but I also want to compliment my Longboat. I plan to modify the red color scheme to show more of the wood. I have some ideas. Stay tuned...

Steve

excellent planking job Steve !

a beautiful built model indeed....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I think keeping the symmetry is the hardest part of this build. So many 90 degree angles that even a 89 degree mishap stands out. You've done well on that aspect Steve.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

To create the templates for the seat back, support strip, and seats, I traced the laser cut parts. I used the plans to help create the front platform template. The platform and seats will remain unpainted, which is why I cut them from maple. 

All parts are dry fit and unglued at this point. Next, I will create the paneled support for the seats using the tabs that were removed from the frames earlier in the project. 

Steve

IMG_3874.JPG

IMG_3879.JPG

Hi Steve,

your pinnace looks just lovely.....

I have a question :  In your post of Oct. 18  a pic is showing the clamps you are using to span down the floor planks to the frames. What sort of clamps are these,

is it a special version for office use ?  Do they have a special nomination ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Thanks for your speedy reply Steve,

a very smart idea of yours in tuning the clamps like you did it, Thanks for sharing, I`ll keep in mind...  ;)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

The thwarts were sized and cut after I made templates out of index cards. There will be grooves notched into them and the longboard running down the center. This board will be sectioned off and lay flush, in-between the thwarts following Chuck's Barge example. 

Under construction are the supports for the cockpit seats. They will be similar to the example shown in my November 18th post. 

Steve

IMG_3900.JPG

Looking great!  On the plans there are 2 ringbolts in the center floor (one aft and one at the fore).  Are you just going to omit those?  If not how will you place them as the new center plank will be above them?  

25 minutes ago, MEDDO said:

Looking great!  On the plans there are 2 ringbolts in the center floor (one aft and one at the fore).  Are you just going to omit those?  If not how will you place them as the new center plank will be above them?  

Good point! I will omit them. 

Steve

The cockpit seat supports were shaped with the rotory tool, sandpaper, and files, With one completed, I was able to trace its profile onto the other to make the shaping easier. The moulding is next before I add any paint. 

Steve

IMG_3908.JPG

IMG_3909.JPG

You know, I remember thinking about this kit right before I bought it. Looking at it online, I figured it would be a cinch to knockout. A small footprint. No rigging. A cheap price. How hard could it be?

WRONG!

It's coming along well Steve.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Thank you Mike and everyone for the likes. It seems like it should be a quick project, but that's not the case. The modifications I'm adding are not necessary, but I think they add something unique to the project. 

Can you believe Model Expo has this kit listed as "entry level" on their revised website?!

Steve

Edited by Tigersteve