English Pinnace by Tigersteve - FINISHED - Model Shipways

• 2 weeks later...

The acrylic display box arrived from https://www.casesforcollectibles.com/

I did not order from the previous company because of high shipping costs. The box arrived well packaged and I am pleased with the quality. However, I did not realize the top surfaces along the width would be rounded. This distorts the view from some angles. The case should probably be about an inch taller and perhaps an inch deeper.

This was another tricky photographing session. It’s much more clear in person. 

Steve

17D20B28-0F0B-4128-8433-D1F67C10D39F.jpeg

BCC00AD5-29DA-4FEC-8D12-71781DDA7A42.jpeg

Edited by Tigersteve

A very elegant build and an equally elegant presentation.  I think the case looks great.  I particularly like the 3/4 view.  Who looks through the curved edge at a model anyway?  If it was wood framed the edge would block the view completely.  Great job, and thanks for sharing.

Steve

Thanks for the compliments and likes.

Mike- I like the black base. It is a glossy finish, but that doesn’t distract from the model. I just wish I had increased the dimensions a bit. I’ll have to get used to it. It’s a bit different design and finish than the case for the longboat. 

Steve

• 2 years later...

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/25/2017 at 8:32 AM, Tigersteve said:

The first six bulkheads were shimmed port and starboard. This allowed the next plank from the garboard a better fit into the rabbet. The port side plank remains to be fitted. After this is complete the hull will be lined off.

Each plank fitted is a small victory.

Steve

IMG_3532.JPG

IMG_3549.JPG

IMG_3563.JPG

Hello Steve. Wonderful work. I like your idea of using maple, but I haven’t been successful in finding any milled at these sizes. I can’t seem to find the Project Wood Source you reference. Do you (or anyone reading) happen to have any suggestions where I can find some? 

Many thanks for your time and efforts.

I don’t believe they are in business any longer. This source for wood is supposed to be good but I don’t know if they mill strips. Doesn’t hurt to contact them. 

https://ocoochhardwoods.com