Kevin

At a Glance: A Snapshot of MSW Members' Current Projects

Posted (edited)

Dromon - forecastle, Greek fire projector, windlass and mast/yard supports in place. Imperial skini (poop awning) done and temporarily in position, along with side-castles, masts and yards and some of the figures (including Emperor Alexios I under the awning). Decking incomplete awaiting insertion of the lower oars. 

Note the 50 upper deck oars next to ship's hull. That's only half of them, though all are complete; I haven't shown the rest as I've configured them with a block instead of a grip at the handle end, so they can be glued to the under-deck frame (which will be hidden below decks on the finished model). 

20190623_174006.thumb.jpg.42c6b6d3565d2f2f50f2104a5201ea8a.jpg  

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly
Update 23 June 2019

I was getting  near the end of rigging the Granado, doing the braces , when I ran out of 0.25 natural line!  I was anticipating this and should have ordered more earlier but I kept postponing thinking it might just last😟. Now I have to wait for a delivery from

Jotika. 

Well gives me a chance to get back to the Charles W Morgan that has been sitting on the workbench patiently waiting for me to finish the rigging.  I guess I should add a build log photo or two.  That can wait until tomorrow.

Ron Gove

Leesburg VA.

42C98184-2E68-4C41-82D7-BC04F5AF0161.jpeg

Here’s an up-to-date picture of the ‘doll boat.’ I’ve been working on details for the head and the galley. Haven’t caught the build log up to current state, but hope to soon.

53A4C14B-1223-45BC-A6AF-D726FE7C3585.thumb.jpeg.0528513803dfee6d92955f0efd9dbf37.jpeg

Link to the log:

Royal Louis is still in her early days of construction. Second layer of planking is underway on both sides with the wales and planks of the lower gun deck in place the the middle deck wales started. 

B924299D-1050-485B-8B95-F317468C9917.jpeg

Ahoy Mates

Here's my Nina 1/65 Amati kit just about completed. I only used the bulkheads and keel from the kit. Rest is scratch built. Just working on the clue lines and their coils. Then It's complete except for setting it on it's base. This is the last ship that my late Pickels was around to help me work on it. Should have a new cat in July.

Nina 9%done 5-31-2019 009.JPG

Starboard side planking completed on the MS 18th Century Armed Longboat, now finishing the port side. Needed to do lots of shimming to keep the hull as flush as possible. Also I'm running short on the 1/4" x 1/16" planking material but I have lots of extra strips of various sizes in my stashes. But like I said in my build log, "the hull will be painted white". Trying to make it to recreate the "Syren's" ship's boat.

11-Port side planking.jpg

12-Port side planking 2.jpg

At last! All the rigging is in place. Now I have to snug up the lines, trim excess and make rope coils.  And yes, hang the anchor, touch up paint, put on the swivel guns, which I left off as I knew I would have knocked them all off by now.😳

752BBB24-7464-452F-9B68-ACDCB6C28BE4.jpeg

I've been remiss in my updates here.    Here's latest... the gundeck is just about done with the last thing I've done to date is the stoves (Top pick).  I'm now working on the ship's boats with go on the gundeck also.  Largest (the longboat) is complete and I'm working on the barge and the cutter.

5-19d.thumb.JPG.7ec08891c2cbfb73df7c4179ce1cd905.JPG

13-v.thumb.JPG.dfe0ba57610ff9dbc26fba4d2746ee3b.JPG

To everyone, just a gentle reminder that this thread is reserved for brief updates only (please see guidelines in original post). Comments are encouraged but should go in the builder's original build log -- which is why we ask that all posts here include a link to the current log in the builder's signature.

Thank you!

On 6/11/2019 at 10:39 AM, ccoyle said:

To everyone, just a gentle reminder that this thread is reserved for brief updates only (please see guidelines in original post). Comments are encouraged but should go in the builder's original build log -- which is why we ask that all posts here include a link to the current log in the builder's signature.

Thank you!

Good point, but what if one hasn’t done a build log and just wants to show occasional progress?

1 hour ago, ragove said:

just wants to show occasional progress

That's pretty much a build log -- and we have an area for that. 😉

Seriously, though, I have turned a blind eye towards minor bending of the law (e.g. extra photo, no link), but I will hold fast to the no chit-chat rule.

Hi folks

This is my latest project; a scratch-built mega yacht, Sapphire.  There’s still a lot of work to go, but eventually she should have a fully detailed interior, with all decks and superstructure being fully removable.  

Enjoy.

Thanks

Patrick

AD794829-42AC-49BB-9E9E-8C989F79D0D7.jpeg

77709860-6D19-4399-9842-156E4FB547BB.jpeg