Galley Washington by Foultide (Dan)

Hi all, welcome to my build.

This will mostly be a pictorial rendition of the Washington. Every body likes pictures.

I'm not going to tell this crowd how to build ships.

There are other excellent build logs of this ship in progress and I'm pretty sure this will not be better than those but I will do my best.

This is my first scratch build so I'm riding the learning curve.

Feel free to over suggestions,criticisms ect.. or ask questions.

The main structure of the vessel is going to be Cherry. I'll use Holly for the deck planking, Swiss Pear for the hull planking and some Walnut for the Wales and

deck bits. This should give some nice color contrast.

I did the keel in three sections as "Yamsterman" suggested did make the rabbit much easier to work.

So without any farther Adieu here are some pics.

DSCN4007.JPG

DSCN4012.JPG

DSCN4013.JPG

DSCN4016.JPG

DSCN4017.JPG

DSCN4019.JPG

DSCN4020.JPG

DSCN4021.JPG

DSCN4022.JPG

6 Ships in the Gallery.

Hi Dan - 

This may be your first scratch-built model, but you clearly have experience and skills.  Nice, tight joinery on the keel and stem.

I will be following along and enjoying your photos.

Best of success with the project.

(another) Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Dan,

Very impressive for your FIRST scratch build!  I love the look of cherry.  I haven't used holly (I do have a few uncut branches in my supply...) or swiss pear but I am sure they will compliment the look.  Looking forward to see your progress.

Best of luck.

Larry

Larry

Current Build:          New Bedford Whaleboat by Model Shipways scale 1:16

Completed Builds:  Cape Cod Nimblet Knockabouts - Loon, Hawk, Gull and Falcon

Howard W. Middleton scale 1:96 - 1883 coastal coal schooner

Susan P.  scale 1:24 - Maine Lobster Boat by Freedom Song Boatworks

Yacht America scale 1:96 by Marine Models

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 12 1/2 scale 1:12

Thermopylae scale 1:124 - English Tea Clipper by Mantua Models

Roar Ege - Roskilde, Denmark Coastal Trader Viking Ship

• 2 weeks later...

Moving forward with a little progress.

I assembled 4 ribs free form and found there was too many parts to get consistent shape. 2 were O.K. but the other 2 needed remaking.

I made a form to build them on as these first 20 or so are mostly the same....

Ribs A through M are formed but not 100% complete as they still need bolting and the frame work for the ports and sweeps.

Undecided at this time to cut them now or wait and cut them later.

Thanks to all who showed up for the meeting.:rolleyes:

DSCN4024.JPG

DSCN4025.JPG

DSCN4026.JPG

6 Ships in the Gallery.

Hey howya goin Foultide mate, great start with her mate, I to will be starting this ship soon, best of luck with her.    :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

• 2 weeks later...

Pulling up a chair, looks interesting!

What scale are you building?

Also, as usual, you might want to cut the frames a bit outside of the lines, to have a bigger margin when fairing the hull.

On 5/21/2017 at 5:12 AM, JosephHuntley said:

Hey Dan have a couple questions if you dont mind as my plans when i bring into cad lost some quality.

I am on the keel and from what I can tell the keel and false keel come to abt .21" wide.

I got the Rabbet at like 1/16" wide but I cant seem to tell what the proper thickness of the deadwood is and how deep the notches for the cants are.

could you help me out with them. and are the forward aprons the same thickness as the deadwood.

these are great plans just wished had a few dimensions on them

Hi Joseph, sorry to keep you waiting. 1\16 on the rabbet might be a bit deep but only just so your probably O.K. there. I get  .015 in for cant depth and I used the 1\8 in  stock that came in the wood package. Yes aprons are the same as the dead wood. I'd be lost with out my digital micrometer and magnifying glass.

Hope this helps.

6 Ships in the Gallery.

On 5/27/2017 at 9:13 AM, Mike Y said:

Pulling up a chair, looks interesting!

What scale are you building?

Also, as usual, you might want to cut the frames a bit outside of the lines, to have a bigger margin when fairing the hull.

H i Mike scale is 1:48.

6 Ships in the Gallery.

Here is a little more progress. I used some hard pink styro and some long pins to create a adjustable jig for the ever changing rib shapes.

Worked out very well, keeping the top of the Keelson rabbet as the common point.

Started to fair some and got a few copper bolts in.

Cheers

DSCN4027.JPG

DSCN4028.JPG

DSCN4029.JPG

DSCN4030.JPG

DSCN4031.JPG

DSCN4032.JPG

DSCN4033.JPG

DSCN4034.JPG

DSCN4035.JPG

DSCN4036.JPG

6 Ships in the Gallery.

You are doing a great job with the joinery. I have a couple of suggestions you might want to look at. First is to try to align your frame sections with the wood grain. This makes the strongest frame. This minimizes the grain running across the short section of the frame (as shown in the second frame from the top in your last photo). This is never perfect, but was the technique used by the builders.

Second, I found it good insurance to glue the frames up on top of the template. This insures the frames do not get sprung one way or the other during glue up.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

• 4 months later...
On 6/4/2017 at 9:42 AM, robnbill said:

You are doing a great job with the joinery. I have a couple of suggestions you might want to look at. First is to try to align your frame sections with the wood grain. This makes the strongest frame. This minimizes the grain running across the short section of the frame (as shown in the second frame from the top in your last photo). This is never perfect, but was the technique used by the builders.

Second, I found it good insurance to glue the frames up on top of the template. This insures the frames do not get sprung one way or the other during glue up.

Thanks for the advice Rob, I did the odd grain matching so when people come to admire the ship the change of grain direction would be more obvious and they could see where the joints are. This way they can see it isn't just one piece of wood. I havn't had problems with the ribs springing but some of the shapes weren't completely true.

Cheers

Dan

6 Ships in the Gallery.

The time for summer activities is over here and I'm back to working on the Washington. Here are some progress pictures.

I started cutting the gun port mortises off the ship but decided to do them after mounting on the keel. I could get better alignment this way.

It seemed to be getting a little helter skelter cutting them solo.

Dan

DSCN4034.JPG

DSCN4035.JPG

DSCN4036.JPG

DSCN4077.JPG

DSCN4078.JPG

DSCN4079.JPG

DSCN4080.JPG

DSCN4083.JPG

DSCN4084.JPG

6 Ships in the Gallery.

• 1 month later...

Well things are rolling along some days it's two steps forward and one back. Found I had a bit of a twist near the bow managed to work most of it out.

The front Canti ribs are one rib and not doubled up so had to redo those. The bow filler pieces were a hand full and I think I made three stern tops # 8.

Sadly I forgot to reduce the size of some of the pics I took here are a few that made it.

Merry Christmas to all.

DSCN4096.JPG

DSCN4101.JPG

DSCN4102.JPG

DSCN4103.JPG

DSCN4104.JPG

6 Ships in the Gallery.

• 2 weeks later...

I am always amazed when I see one of these coming together. So far beyond my skill level and a real treat to watch. I am most definitely on board for the rest of the voyage. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the nice Mike and all the likes..

On 1/5/2018 at 10:47 AM, Osmosis said:

I am always amazed when I see one of these coming together. So far beyond my skill level and a real treat to watch. I am most definitely on board for the rest of the voyage. 

This is definitely stretching my skill level. Having to get creative along the way.

6 Ships in the Gallery.

Some more progress. My bending technology is being put to the test. Bending sideways is a challenge but I found if I soak the piece in hot water,then press it into a form of the shape  and hit it with the heat gun I can get pretty close to what I need.

So here's where we are now. 

The thick and thin boards are in and so are the crutches. Made a modification to correct an error but I think we are good.

Cheers Mates.

DSCN4118.JPG

DSCN4119.JPG

DSCN4120.JPG

6 Ships in the Gallery.

More progress pictures.

The stove was constructed of balsa. The stove floor is a mixture of white glue, coloring and saw dust.

I some point I realized I had forgotten to put in a door on the well house so I  had to came up with a solution.

Cheers all...

DSCN4130.JPG

DSCN4131.JPG

DSCN4132.JPG

DSCN4134.JPG

DSCN4135.JPG

DSCN4136.JPG

DSCN4137.JPG

6 Ships in the Gallery.