Santa Maria by ray111 - Mamoli - 1:50

I agree that when finishing off it is far better to use sand paper (preferably on a pad if you have one small enough). You get a better sweep and you are more likely to remove kinks and bumps. I have tried to shortcut hand tools a couple of times and (usually) ended up with a lump taken out of something that shouldn't.

May I recommend for your next model (as you have gone past this now) that you consider using push pins for the second planking? You can push those underneath the outer layer so you wont get pin holes in the outer layer. It also allows you to keep it close to the plank above which can reduce (though not always on the bows) gaps springing open.

i.e

IMG_1728.jpg

Also if you find you have slight gaps in the outside plank layer then you can hide these by using your finger to push white glue into the gap and then sanding. The glue absorbs the wood dust and it hides the gap. This works even better when you paint so it may not be so useful if you intend on staining or varnishing the outer planking.

Anyway good luck with it.