Cocca Veneta by Vivian Galad - Corel - 1:70 - modified

Hi Vivian, just dropped in on this build as well - looking nice. Front row was already full, but I found me some place.

If you think sails and rigging are to white - just make yourself two cups of tea. One to drink, and the other one to put the sails and thread in. It will get a nice old stained finish!

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available   

Looking up the web for kogge I just found this image about the battle of Sluys and copied following text: (The Hundred Years War at Sea). While sounds big, the mini-campaign really only covered actions in the English Channel in the summer of 1340. Historically, the French had spent the last two years conducting raids on English cities and disrupting trade. At the end of the previous fighting season the English had repelled the French raids and stabilized the situation. This set the stage for a new set of battles in 1340 and would lead to the decisive Battle of Sluys.

BattleofSluys.jpeg.e966e2f011a69b9a3bcd87d7a8de0b78.jpeg

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available   

7 hours ago, *Hans* said:

Looking up the web for kogge I just found this image about the battle of Sluys and copied following text: (The Hundred Years War at Sea). While sounds big, the mini-campaign really only covered actions in the English Channel in the summer of 1340. Historically, the French had spent the last two years conducting raids on English cities and disrupting trade. At the end of the previous fighting season the English had repelled the French raids and stabilized the situation. This set the stage for a new set of battles in 1340 and would lead to the decisive Battle of Sluys.

BattleofSluys.jpeg.e966e2f011a69b9a3bcd87d7a8de0b78.jpeg

Hans, thanks for the picture and the welcome - and the tip bout sails! That image I can´t remember seeing. ^^

Hello mates!

Comes the weekend, its shipbuilding time! 

In advance, I´m heeding your words and will change the bow, so it wouldn´t look as much as the Mataró´s. I adjusted a little bit the center of the ship ro receive the cargo deck, but after seeing Dori´s start on her new ship and re-reading Woodrat´s marvelous log, felt a little down on myself for not thinking on creating the lower deck, the cargo deck, lowering my frames, all of them. Maybe the kit´s instructions got into my mind and I just got with the flow. Hope the sensation vanishes at some point - I´ll get the ship going and throw away my frustrations as the Mataró´s itself is my next project and will be pof.

First picture, that massive wooden block I had to sand till my hands were falling off the wrist. It will be responsible for bending the planks on the right direction. Since I´ll change the bow a little, think they´ll be more drivers and have a little less influence on planking. First one I took to the saw piece at piece, second one I tried to sand directly from the final piece and, well, first one is the way to go.

WP_20170507_002.thumb.jpg.757475da38f319e9aa005828fefe7a9a.jpg

Second picture shows the cargo deck on place. I lowered it a bit to gain space for beans (think they´ll be on sight). I´ll plank it too, but I´m still thinking what will be it like, so, let´s wait a bit.

WP_20170507_008.thumb.jpg.f1dbcfd48c7d14ef74f57110ad9ea7a3.jpg

I´m planking decks already. Corel didn´t provide me with the wood for planking, or the last owner (kit comes from e-bay). Had some since I got new ones for the Oseberg (too thin, since I want to plank the Oseberg directly over the frames - have to put that on the Oseberg´s log, by the way).

WP_20170507_005.thumb.jpg.e9f488707d5e3eea8742628457a7f033.jpg

Next picture shows where the planking belong.

WP_20170507_014.thumb.jpg.760c5fcf8e356fc1ec9d6f2913f60c61.jpg

I haven´t fixed the frames on the aft and stern for I´m still planning the cabins. Still don´t know what they should have for furniture.

And the work is going on - The bow line as of Corel´s, the sanded block on place and the mod I´m doing to it, so it will be a little less bended up.

WP_20170513_001.thumb.jpg.729291c932553bc6dbed14c6ad1ad478.jpg

WP_20170513_002.thumb.jpg.306be950877b55e1947d2f05091c3071.jpg

WP_20170513_009.thumb.jpg.d3ff54753923d6b593a318686d1475c8.jpg

And that´s all for this update. As always, suggestions are welcome. ^^

39 minutes ago, src said:

Nice work Vivian. If you are going to modify your stem, why not build it up like a real stem? It would fix your curves, be stronger and look pretty good too. Just a thought

Sam

Sam, thanks. I was ruminating through that. I already glued those parts using that same plywood. I made some joints, but they´re not looking that great. To satisfy me I would have to find wood to do that and, if I do that, I´ll have to put the project aside for a time and I´m afraid to get away from the shipyard.

My solution, now, is to fake it. To design and cut thin wooden foils with the proper looking joints and cover the stern.

As an archtect I don´t like overlays, even coating or paintings - I love raw materials, like to show structure and plumbs - a massive wooden bean, concrete, steel - that´s for me. But, the kit gives me an impression of a real ship - and I´ll try not to overthink.

Your suggestion, though, is banging on the back of my mind...

N ice going Vivian, and lots of good advice. With all that good info coming to you it'll be exactly the way you envisioned it. Sorry to say, I'm not much help for you, I am an airplane guy but love ships.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2017 at 11:48 PM, Piet said:

N ice going Vivian, and lots of good advice. With all that good info coming to you it'll be exactly the way you envisioned it. Sorry to say, I'm not much help for you, I am an airplane guy but love ships.

Cheers,

Hey, Piet. People here is always supportive - really friendly, truth be told. U may be the airplane guy, but I love your work on the latest submarines nearing this shores. Thanks for visiting, be welcome!

And time for an update so you don´t think I´ve vanished again.

First of all, sorry for the low quality pics - I´ll have a new cam next month and be posting better ones.

As I said, I got a plan on changing the stern and, instead of making a new one (which would be a lot better), cut pieces from plywood and got rid from that steep curve - As it is now, well, not good looking I would say, but, I´ll cover it with a sheet cut and designed as a real stern should look - that said, my keel will be from the same wood, so, I´ll be changing the kit´s wood destined for it.

WP_20170527_005.thumb.jpg.6bac5536a1d2860314e8a3ae8bc2b351.jpg

I´ve been planking decks. After I finished them I realized I could´ve done it other way, close to what it should be - following beams and such, but, then again the ship have no beams and I would have to create them - and I´ll try at least to reproduce something like them. Of course pictures won´t show, but pin holes were made - caulking coming soon.

WP_20170528_022.thumb.jpg.ed30184f5711a0b4465b6452a1bc2bfe.jpg

So, I´ll show some cargo hold - don´t know if beams would be visible but decided to try some over the cargo hold - Not quite sure how I´ll make them - but I´m into reading so many things about and seeing so many pictures that I´ll figure it out soon enough. Still don´t know if I should plank the hull inside at the visible parts, so, I´m reproducing some more frames.

WP_20170528_018.thumb.jpg.a4afae7bb8abc05aec790e085810a529.jpg

WP_20170528_020.thumb.jpg.4828520bb7ea44f3998adb242aa2b3f9.jpg

WP_20170528_024.thumb.jpg.e15aa17a60d99df73e2e522b059f149e.jpg

WP_20170528_027.thumb.jpg.445111b8dd37071375711a3a47c81dfc.jpg

I´m using plywood, but will cover if needed.

It´s a small update, hope to be showing more soon.

Hello Vivian, ah, I see you are in "kit bashing." Brave woman you are, tackling that but it looks like you are well on the way to get it to what you have in mind, nice work.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

On 5/30/2017 at 8:01 PM, Piet said:

Hello Vivian, ah, I see you are in "kit bashing." Brave woman you are, tackling that but it looks like you are well on the way to get it to what you have in mind, nice work.

Cheers,

Thank you, Piet! Just trying to do my best - and learning, always learning.

Hello Viv dear...

So glad to see you back mi amor. If you think your worktable is a mess, you should look mine. :P

I will be following your build with interest. Looks like a pretty neat ship!!

Abrazos

Ulises

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Vivian,

Acabou de encontrar seu log - (:-) will also follow. Welcome back- looking good. Nice project.

PS My sweetheart (Eliana) is (on a Sunday) making me a Caipirinha -my baseball team lost today - She wants to help  

xo

Cheers

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

On 5/28/2017 at 11:33 PM, Tigersteve said:

Nice!

Steve

Thanks, Steve!

On 6/4/2017 at 5:47 PM, canoe21 said:

Hello Vivian

Just found your build log on the Cocca Veneta such a little ship and I thought that my Golden Hinde was very tiny at a scale of 1:60, yours is even smaller than mine. Will be setting back and enjoying your great build, Just wondering just how much of your kit that you will rebuild out of wood and your own style,                                                         ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Be most welcome, Lawrence! Right now I´m thinking it too small a scale, too - but we´ll get along and see it through, well, at least, I hope :P

Thank you!

On 6/4/2017 at 6:14 PM, Ulises Victoria said:

Hello Viv dear...

So glad to see you back mi amor. If you think your worktable is a mess, you should look mine. :P

I will be following your build with interest. Looks like a pretty neat ship!!

Abrazos

Ulises

Hola Ulises! Siempre un placer to have u here! Please, take a seat!

Beso! 

On 6/4/2017 at 6:36 PM, md1400cs said:

Vivian,

Acabou de encontrar seu log - (:-) will also follow. Welcome back- looking good. Nice project.

PS My sweetheart (Eliana) is (on a Sunday) making me a Caipirinha -my baseball team lost today - She wants to help  

xo

Cheers

Michael, que bom que o encontrou! And what a lucky guy to have someone to prepare to u a caipirinha! I played soft at my 15´s, but all my contact with the sport is over now. Better games ahead for your team! :)

Hola onas deas   bueno mucho bueno - magnifico,    thats about all I can say in spanish.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hey guys. Vivian lives in Brazil. Her language is Portuguese ;)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Cog LOL - Not true - Brazilian Portuguese is so beautiful, as compared to Portuguese from Portugal IMHO. 

With the exception of Cape Verdean music aria Evora as an example of traditional music --  LOL AND Brazilian Samba.

(Yes you were making a joke (:-) )

I am very lucky in my life I speak French, Spanish (from Mexico), Portuguese (from Brazil) and english. In my ear Brazilian Portuguese is music indeed.

PS: I am married to a Brazilian - that could help this subjective post 

PS: NO I am not so smart but as a child and a teen my dad moved us into countries that required learning languages- So I learned the languages.

PS 2- Fr. Sp Por. - all latin rooted-  made the transitions into those obviously easier.

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Spoil sport! I love the sound of Brasilian Portuguese. Incidentally, I had a Brasilian girlfriend, way back when I was younger, and you do tend to learn the language faster if you are blessed thus.

Desculpe-me, Vivian. Back to your build, much more interesting!! :)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Just watching your interactions, guys! ahahahahaha

I was born on a multilingual family and as a child could not identify some words I used from a language or other. Children can´t forgive that and I met some bullying till I could comprehend that жопа (jopa-***/but), in russian, wasn´t a world other children could comprehend.

Thanks for all compliments and for the healthy discussion above. Good to wake up laughing!

By the way, Italians say Spanish and Portuguese are bad Italian, or something like that.

I don't speak any other language.....although one day,  an Indian told me I spoke with forked tongue ;)    besides........I'm a humorist :) 

as for how you want to expand the lower deck......you made the extra bulkheads...that's good,  but dry fit the spar deck to see what you can see down there,  before you go further.   you have that deck part in place already.   you could very well trim out some of that false keel and extend it back further.   but do the spar deck thing first.......see just how much you can see.  wouldn't want you doing stuff for nothing ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2017 at 10:49 PM, popeye the sailor said:

I don't speak any other language.....although one day,  an Indian told me I spoke with forked tongue ;)    besides........I'm a humorist :) 

as for how you want to expand the lower deck......you made the extra bulkheads...that's good,  but dry fit the spar deck to see what you can see down there,  before you go further.   you have that deck part in place already.   you could very well trim out some of that false keel and extend it back further.   but do the spar deck thing first.......see just how much you can see.  wouldn't want you doing stuff for nothing ;) 

Great idea, Popeye

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...
On 6/20/2020 at 9:49 PM, Louie da fly said:

Hi Vivian,

Did you ever get back to this build?

Hey, Louie! Long story short - I moved from Brazil to Argentina and will get my ships later this year - I got some wood bugs to the kit unfortunately, but hope I killed them good before I moved here. I´ll be back soon, maybe with yet another build, since I´m close to buy a HMS Victory, from Sergal if prices be rigth. Thanks for asking and sorry for the time it got to me to answer!