HMS ROYAL KATHERINE 1664 by Doris - 1/55 - CARD

If I had a ship that beautiful I would never let it leave the harbor. Imagine what one cannon ball could do to those delicate structures!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Just... what?   More than amazing and stunning.  I'm printing those last ones out and will hang a couple in the workshop for inspiration.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Stunning - breath taking. A sure joy to the eye.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

now that is the crowning touch!    beautifully done.........I am in awe Doris......REALLY!  :)   :imNotWorthy:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 4/3/2018 at 2:19 AM, DORIS said:

I love this room in our house; we call it a "harbor", cause you can see more than 40 ship models there.

As intricate as your models are, and the fact that you have so many of them, how do you manage to keep them all from collecting dust?:huh: Is this room off limits from your feathered friends? (We only have one bird and he can put out a lot of dander, especially when he is molting :rolleyes:.)

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

On 4/3/2018 at 2:19 AM, DORIS said:

I love this room in our house; we call it a "harbor", cause you can see more than 40 ship models there.

I am currently researching methods of making sails from paper (since any cloth would be much to heavy for this small scale) for my 1:96 MS Phantom.  To date I have experimented with several different methods, but am not entirely satisfied with the results. 

As I was looking at your "harbor", I realized that quite a few of your ships have sails.  Since I assume that you make your sails with some type of paper and that you are a very skilled at modeler in this medium, I wondered if you have any info available for the method that you use.    

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Hi BetaQ,

The following link is to a really excellent modified build of Heller’s Le Superbe.  He used ModelSpan tissue to make his sails, whicch is excellent for smaller scales.  He provides a fail-safe tutorial for his method, which I think is quite Superbe!

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

5 hours ago, Hubac'sHistorian said:

Hi BetaQ,

The following link is to a really excellent modified build of Heller’s Le Superbe.  He used ModelSpan tissue to make his sails, whicch is excellent for smaller scales.  He provides a fail-safe tutorial for his method, which I think is quite Superbe!

Wow...the talent on display at this forum is incredible...and so inspirational! 

Thanks for sharing that link. Without which, I would have otherwise never seen this tutorial.

You are welcome!  I often say the same thing about the talent and collective IQ on this site.  I have and continue to learn a great deal from all of you.

Happy Friday!

Edited by Hubac'sHistorian

• 4 weeks later...

Hello dear friends,
thank you very much for your feedback, kind words and all the "likes". I do appreciate it a lot and it is a great honour and motivation for me.

On 16. 5. 2018 at 4:30 PM, BETAQDAVE said:

As intricate as your models are, and the fact that you have so many of them, how do you manage to keep them all from collecting dust?:huh: Is this room off limits from your feathered friends? (We only have one bird and he can put out a lot of dander, especially when he is molting :rolleyes:.)

People often ask me about this and I have already answered many times. :)  In fact, there is not a problem with a dust in this room, cause there is limited movement of persons. My pets are not allowed to enter this room.  My husband and me usually sit in the armchairs, listen to music and enjoy the beauty of the ships.... Some of them are illuminated which creates a special atmosphere in the dark. Only once in a few years I take the models out and gently clean them using a soft brush...

About making sails...
I mainly use stiff thin fabric (named batiste) dyed in tea but for the Royal Katherine I have new ideas and will use better technology. Of course, I am going to share here with you.

On 18. 5. 2018 at 12:20 AM, Hubac's Historian said:

Hi BetaQ,

Great tutorial, thank you for sharing. The result looks very nice.

Well, dear friends, it's time to bring new pics from my project....

I continue with decoration on QG, there are quite plenty of gilded pieces and also larger sculptures in the roofs. I had to create the decoration according to other ships from this period (I find inspiration at museum models, historical paintings and drawings - mainly by Van de Velde) cause in Vale´s painting there are no exact details at this area.

1.thumb.jpg.82b7231f7cda62ff9cd47b8bf35913e7.jpg2.thumb.jpg.db7ce75efd2158768d76cfa12845a467.jpg3.thumb.jpg.3f7d0b1b6156d3a021cea86b285e2683.jpg4.thumb.jpg.6e517b8dbef36d631334946c19955f4e.jpg5.thumb.jpg.a6bbba5a504719d999c1264b22effdfe.jpg6.thumb.jpg.880b8a1b058c7b4cf906ca6d2005e9e0.jpg7.thumb.jpg.968107b7bc0ba1fc1fcf2ddd55bc1b04.jpg10.thumb.jpg.5530a9990033479d80d420a00dd21dcd.jpg9.thumb.jpg.98bc0321acafbef76336ad902c49e1b6.jpg8.thumb.jpg.9db93e961f303736106b9d93e346a4f5.jpg

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

I`m again stunning for your art decorations Doris,

The two ships sterns in pair look just wonderful......

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Magnificent
Very nicely done

Greetings,

Patrick

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hello Doris,

So, as I look through your photo essay on the making of the square gunport wreaths, two things occur to me:

For one, they are remarkably consistent.

On the other hand, I wonder why you don't master a detail like this once, and duplicate it in resin castings.  I have watched and am tremendously impressed by your video tutorials on how to do some of the larger figurative work, and it would be no stretch of the imagination that sculpting each element by hand is ultimately easier and a more efficient use of your time.

I am just curious as to your perspective on that issue.

Thank you,

Marc

@Hubac's Historian, please do not think I am answering for DORIS, but your question got me thinking.

I have often asked myself that same question, since I always look for an easier solution. However, when it comes to artistry I prefer to not take shortcuts for I know that practice makes perfect.

Edited by Tecko

Peter.

Current Builds:  Wardell Bridge, Bridge on River Kwai, ADLIB-1, and the U-2540

Two remarks on that: These sculptings would need flexible molds, as there is detail on the sides of them, and there are open spaces under the scrollwork. The castings would require severe detailing afterwards.

secondly: part of the atmosphere of this model is in the high degree of consistency, but also in the slight variations between the almost equal parts. I guess the model looses some of its charm by using castings.

Jan

Dear friends, here's the last part of the video series, you can also find in my tutorials previous parts. I must say, this is my older technology, now I have much better way, how to create sculpures and decoration in a higher level of details.
Thank you all for your feedback and "likes", I am pleased and very honoured you like my work. 
I will write more next week and  bring new pics from the progress. 

Best regards,
Doris

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card