HMS ROYAL KATHERINE 1664 by Doris - 1/55 - CARD

Amazing work - almost impossible to believe.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Doris’s update: Well, since I saw you last, I’ve completely armed the whole ship - proofmarks and All.  All of the upper decks have been framed and laid with their accompanying bulkheads and deck railings.  I’ve also decorated said bulkheads, fabricated and installed all of the driftrails, and completed the lighting.  I’ve also pressed the extra crew from the Caroline into service for her sea trials. It has been a busy morning!

My update:  Well, since I saw you last, I’ve opened a jar of paint.  It was a stubborn lid, and I had to run it under the hot tap to soften the dried paint.  More to follow.  Thanks for looking in!

As ever, I have never been happier to be shamed with your prolific output and pace; it is a joy to see the Katherine rise.  I continue to be inspired by your innate sense of scale and proportion.  When I look at the ornament of the upper bulwarks, it seems to me that there is a perfect balance between the heraldic ornaments against the blackness of their ground; they are also appropriately shallow, relative to the gunport wreathes and window embellishments.  It all looks impossibly realistic to me!  And, yet, there it is.  Well done, Doris!

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Has there ever been a video recorded, showing you sculpting ? I am particularly intrigued by the repetive accuracy. Getting one ornament right is one thing, but getting them all looking the same is quite another thing.

I know, you are using a proprietary Czech sculpting material, but would you have any experience with a brand available in other parts of Europe and you could recommend ? It seems that your material becomes rather smooth and translucent after baking, which is good for the following gilding. I am not aware of another sculpting material that reacts like this.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Brilliant work as usual, Doris.

I'm sorry that pictures of your work have been pirated as someone else's. While imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, it is really annoying that an inferior product is being marketed using your images. Perhaps add a watermark on your pictures as well? An unscrupulous person could easily remove your copyright sign and name using Photoshop! It's a shame that there are those sorts of people out there.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

2 hours ago, wefalck said:

Has there ever been a video recorded, showing you sculpting ? I am particularly intrigued by the repetive accuracy. Getting one ornament right is one thing, but getting them all looking the same is quite another thing.

I know, you are using a proprietary Czech sculpting material, but would you have any experience with a brand available in other parts of Europe and you could recommend ? It seems that your material becomes rather smooth and translucent after baking, which is good for the following gilding. I am not aware of another sculpting material that reacts like this.

Yes she has linked to a series of videos of her sculpting not too far above in this thread.  

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=85813#p1613874

And she has remarked a few times that she believes her material is similar to FIMO soft. 

Edited by Griphos

beautiful work Doris.........truly amazing! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Doris,

I have read your log from the beginning and I echo the compliments others have already made.  Your work in card and paper is wonderful, but it is your modeling in polymer that I find just so very exceptional and elegant.  Thank you for sharing your work with us.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

amazing! someone needs to invent more superlatives. the ones we already have are certainly not enough. in any language! 

cheers!

Denis

Current Build: HMS Pandora 3D modeling

Swan Class HMS Pegasus for Admiralty Models 3D Build

My other 3D work: Artstation

Doris....I would not expect anything else now! You are gifted there is no other word for it. I do enjoy your updates.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Doris, In every trade and craft there are people who are extremely talented and way above everyone else. But, Doris you are scary good! You must have inherited an amazing set of genes and all planets must have in perfect alignment. 

It’s a shame that most all of us at MSW cannot see your masterpieces only by computer. On behalf of us all, thank you for that privilege. I especially like the illuminated scenes.

Two questions if I may. How long have you been modeling in this media?

And do you ever leave a personal hidden momento of some kind on or in the model?

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Magical - simply stunning work Doris.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hello dear friends, 
I am very grateful for your support and comments, your words mean a lot for me. I'm flattered and do appreciate your praise. Thank you all very much.

I believe the Royal Katherine will be my best card model after finishing, but there are several things and details I should improve in the model and during the build I try to correct or do them better. I do not continue very fast although want to add something new on the model as often as possible.

On 3/15/2019 at 12:38 PM, Hubac's Historian said:

As ever, I have never been happier to be shamed with your prolific output and pace; it is a joy to see the Katherine rise.  I continue to be inspired by your innate sense of scale and proportion.  When I look at the ornament of the upper bulwarks, it seems to me that there is a perfect balance between the heraldic ornaments against the blackness of their ground; they are also appropriately shallow, relative to the gunport wreathes and window embellishments.  It all looks impossibly realistic to me!  And, yet, there it is.  Well done, Doris!

Well, I try to do realistic model, but have to say, it is really hard. Next time I am going to relax and build something according to complete building plans. The Royal Katherine is the most chalenging project I have ever realized.

Wefalck: Plenty of my tutorials and videos have been posted here, so please look through my thread. I am going to add others in the future. 

I don't have experience with other materials, so I can't recommend anything else. I am satisfied with this one I use. 

8 hours ago, Kurt Johnson said:

Two questions if I may. How long have you been modeling in this media?

And do you ever leave a personal hidden momento of some kind on or in the model?

Kurt

I build card models more than 30 years.I am not sure if I understand well your second question ( unfortunately my English is not very good), but I try to devote my greatest effort to all parts of the model. I usually put also a "part of myself" into building these models - not only my modelling skills, but also "emotion" and "love". 

The belfry is finished and now I am continuing with other pieces of decoration on another railing... I try to create it according to museum models from that period to achieve more realistic result. Unfortunately there are no exact plans or drawings of these parts of the Royal Katherine, so I have to improvise a bit.....😉

1.thumb.jpg.92f16344d313b01646dab80a34ef9a23.jpg3.thumb.jpg.0fb77a695eb23aef49b244636bace40a.jpg4.thumb.jpg.a2d9bad851fd2a7647c25da185658d55.jpg6.thumb.jpg.7b538e9d82a65cd061613f5bb82f72aa.jpg7.thumb.jpg.4148184e52114d17601f84ee310224e1.jpg8.thumb.jpg.5df0c4882fdc55e98ff448c1094932ab.jpg10.thumb.jpg.f23876c63547210ae23a45b05009a804.jpg11.thumb.jpg.b398344e2695fa588cf60efd7a801db5.jpg14.thumb.jpg.129e2dbff0bf026a71eb97e785cb8d48.jpg15.thumb.jpg.d6c0b5640ff3edf0448bb238b3902601.jpg16.thumb.jpg.c2e3c37df61671ee7ba5bb8692ab8af1.jpg17.thumb.jpg.901b783abe87b0dc2fe98b50fddca283.jpg18.thumb.jpg.f93855979d872e86c07d23d12fb42a77.jpg

Enjoy the pics and have a great time.

Best regards,
Doris

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

1 minute ago, DORIS said:

so I have to improvise a bit.....😉

Very well improvised Doris ;)

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Doris, By leaving a momento In your model. I have heard of some people signing their name in hidden place or leaving a coin or something unknown to others. The emotion and love you put in your models certainly isn’t hidden. Personally, I usually leave a few drops of blood, but it has never been intentional, just by accident.

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Doris,

Just catching up - splendid art --- :imNotWorthy:

Regards,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Dear friends,
thank you very much for your praise and kind words, I do appreciate your support a lot. I am pleased, you enjoy the pics and like my work.

On 3/17/2019 at 3:19 PM, Kurt Johnson said:

Doris, By leaving a momento In your model. I have heard of some people signing their name in hidden place or leaving a coin or something unknown to others. The emotion and love you put in your models certainly isn’t hidden. Personally, I usually leave a few drops of blood, but it has never been intentional, just by accident.

Kurt

Oh you mean this...  Well I usually leave my signature on the frame/main rib. But on my older scratch-build model Sovereign of the Seas stayed my tears, cause I had some accidents and was sad also because of the problems and disappointment that life brought to me then....

I have decided to improve decoration on the bow section and make larger/wider sculptures to achieve more realistic appearance. Lower pieces of decoration are completely new and they overlap the upper cheeks as you can see on many museum models from that period. I believe, this decision was good.
Enjoy the pics and have a good time.

Previous bow design:

0.thumb.jpg.5e874ff3534377fdb4f58788f236a5e2.jpg

And here's the current design:

3.thumb.jpg.9371c2937c0a79e898d3bdd6d2b81537.jpg1.thumb.jpg.e416092b4c11c86d0d9e9b97ac15376a.jpg2.thumb.jpg.f79e6019758e544f8bc9cbe8bd46e9a7.jpg6.thumb.jpg.7fbb2d20731ef919d14c2b367dfeaab0.jpg7.thumb.jpg.ba5d843c379180de902284700c20ec8e.jpg8.thumb.jpg.bf06eeca89ab57cafe6c8c73b6f1e479.jpg10.thumb.jpg.eb0c3633a4b988ff3efd9a5d3a80e877.jpg12.thumb.jpg.d09ac342ae73e501834598305c2a7da3.jpg13.thumb.jpg.5fc925a1a6eb3c44669a8b986df68165.jpg14.thumb.jpg.0c4fce3599e33c852c1682548eb039bb.jpg15.thumb.jpg.ff31ef3acc1f1bd53e9c02ec225c090f.jpg

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

Outstandingly beautiful Doris!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Doris:

You really are a true artist. Your precise and pristine work is a rare combination of virtues. CONGRATULATIONS!

Can you tell us what tools and materials you mainly use? For example, what kind of cardboard you use and where can I buy it?  Do you cut your cardboard with scissors or Xacto knives? What other tools/materials you recommend to use?

Thanks a lot,

José

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Doris,

Wow, you are very talented.

I was keeping up with your sovereign of the seas build, very impressive. 

The Royal Katherine,very, very nice.

My name is Ron I have been building ship models since I was 7 years old ,I also am a naval and maritime historian.

The 17th ships especially the Naval Anglo dutch wars, and the American Naval Civil War,ww2 battleships, and submarines and the science fiction ships like captain nemo nautilus are my favorites.

It's so nice to see women doing this art.

Model ship building has its place in America,but far more popular in European countries.

Anyway I had to complement you on your work.

Take care,keep up the good work.

Ron

• 1 month later...

Doris,

You are probably in the top 1% of the true artisans on the site (in my opinion).

I for one can only hope to aspire to your level of work. 

Thank you for bring us along.

Russ

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

• 5 months later...

It took me way too long to find your "incredible" build." ...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways