DORIS

HMS ROYAL KATHERINE 1664 by Doris - 1/55 - CARD

There were also added brass rings on the sides of gun ports for rigging and tackles. I finished other railing on bulkheads.The crew members come from yacht Royal Caroline and were made in a scale 1/40. They are here only for a short time for an excursion...😄

163.thumb.jpg.b7568fbf8b87189f7f36d274fe2222da.jpg164.thumb.jpg.e9bba29362d141c2206f994f606a9cd5.jpg165.thumb.jpg.a89a5d7b44a82375b90f1fbd758a9ee9.jpg166.thumb.jpg.f52da541e3cf19920d18037fd7cedcf8.jpg167.thumb.jpg.b9d287d72d8984685b5bb5c24291eab1.jpg168.thumb.jpg.665cf31629280325bbc5a6dc4386b273.jpg169.thumb.jpg.ada33b08e3b039ba6c7ab77b1f6c6048.jpg170.thumb.jpg.758ce4d1cb468d144671b1a369f0ecd3.jpg171.thumb.jpg.0aa855421bf29cab1ae4b02ed4a586eb.jpg172.thumb.jpg.e9d9c644d935864c596c52b6a9e1e473.jpg173.thumb.jpg.e4c25942f223c1715b0c8edea5fcf221.jpg

Doris’s update: Well, since I saw you last, I’ve completely armed the whole ship - proofmarks and All.  All of the upper decks have been framed and laid with their accompanying bulkheads and deck railings.  I’ve also decorated said bulkheads, fabricated and installed all of the driftrails, and completed the lighting.  I’ve also pressed the extra crew from the Caroline into service for her sea trials. It has been a busy morning!

My update:  Well, since I saw you last, I’ve opened a jar of paint.  It was a stubborn lid, and I had to run it under the hot tap to soften the dried paint.  More to follow.  Thanks for looking in!

As ever, I have never been happier to be shamed with your prolific output and pace; it is a joy to see the Katherine rise.  I continue to be inspired by your innate sense of scale and proportion.  When I look at the ornament of the upper bulwarks, it seems to me that there is a perfect balance between the heraldic ornaments against the blackness of their ground; they are also appropriately shallow, relative to the gunport wreathes and window embellishments.  It all looks impossibly realistic to me!  And, yet, there it is.  Well done, Doris!

Has there ever been a video recorded, showing you sculpting ? I am particularly intrigued by the repetive accuracy. Getting one ornament right is one thing, but getting them all looking the same is quite another thing.

I know, you are using a proprietary Czech sculpting material, but would you have any experience with a brand available in other parts of Europe and you could recommend ? It seems that your material becomes rather smooth and translucent after baking, which is good for the following gilding. I am not aware of another sculpting material that reacts like this.

Brilliant work as usual, Doris.

I'm sorry that pictures of your work have been pirated as someone else's. While imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, it is really annoying that an inferior product is being marketed using your images. Perhaps add a watermark on your pictures as well? An unscrupulous person could easily remove your copyright sign and name using Photoshop! It's a shame that there are those sorts of people out there.

2 hours ago, wefalck said:

Has there ever been a video recorded, showing you sculpting ? I am particularly intrigued by the repetive accuracy. Getting one ornament right is one thing, but getting them all looking the same is quite another thing.

I know, you are using a proprietary Czech sculpting material, but would you have any experience with a brand available in other parts of Europe and you could recommend ? It seems that your material becomes rather smooth and translucent after baking, which is good for the following gilding. I am not aware of another sculpting material that reacts like this.

Yes she has linked to a series of videos of her sculpting not too far above in this thread.  

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=85813#p1613874

And she has remarked a few times that she believes her material is similar to FIMO soft. 

Edited by Griphos

Doris,

I have read your log from the beginning and I echo the compliments others have already made.  Your work in card and paper is wonderful, but it is your modeling in polymer that I find just so very exceptional and elegant.  Thank you for sharing your work with us.

Gary

Doris, In every trade and craft there are people who are extremely talented and way above everyone else. But, Doris you are scary good! You must have inherited an amazing set of genes and all planets must have in perfect alignment. 

It’s a shame that most all of us at MSW cannot see your masterpieces only by computer. On behalf of us all, thank you for that privilege. I especially like the illuminated scenes.

Two questions if I may. How long have you been modeling in this media?

And do you ever leave a personal hidden momento of some kind on or in the model?

Kurt

Hello dear friends, 
I am very grateful for your support and comments, your words mean a lot for me. I'm flattered and do appreciate your praise. Thank you all very much.

I believe the Royal Katherine will be my best card model after finishing, but there are several things and details I should improve in the model and during the build I try to correct or do them better. I do not continue very fast although want to add something new on the model as often as possible.

On 3/15/2019 at 12:38 PM, Hubac's Historian said:

As ever, I have never been happier to be shamed with your prolific output and pace; it is a joy to see the Katherine rise.  I continue to be inspired by your innate sense of scale and proportion.  When I look at the ornament of the upper bulwarks, it seems to me that there is a perfect balance between the heraldic ornaments against the blackness of their ground; they are also appropriately shallow, relative to the gunport wreathes and window embellishments.  It all looks impossibly realistic to me!  And, yet, there it is.  Well done, Doris!

Well, I try to do realistic model, but have to say, it is really hard. Next time I am going to relax and build something according to complete building plans. The Royal Katherine is the most chalenging project I have ever realized.

Wefalck: Plenty of my tutorials and videos have been posted here, so please look through my thread. I am going to add others in the future. 

I don't have experience with other materials, so I can't recommend anything else. I am satisfied with this one I use. 

8 hours ago, Kurt Johnson said:

Two questions if I may. How long have you been modeling in this media?

And do you ever leave a personal hidden momento of some kind on or in the model?

Kurt

I build card models more than 30 years.I am not sure if I understand well your second question ( unfortunately my English is not very good), but I try to devote my greatest effort to all parts of the model. I usually put also a "part of myself" into building these models - not only my modelling skills, but also "emotion" and "love". 

The belfry is finished and now I am continuing with other pieces of decoration on another railing... I try to create it according to museum models from that period to achieve more realistic result. Unfortunately there are no exact plans or drawings of these parts of the Royal Katherine, so I have to improvise a bit.....😉

1.thumb.jpg.92f16344d313b01646dab80a34ef9a23.jpg3.thumb.jpg.0fb77a695eb23aef49b244636bace40a.jpg4.thumb.jpg.a2d9bad851fd2a7647c25da185658d55.jpg6.thumb.jpg.7b538e9d82a65cd061613f5bb82f72aa.jpg7.thumb.jpg.4148184e52114d17601f84ee310224e1.jpg8.thumb.jpg.5df0c4882fdc55e98ff448c1094932ab.jpg10.thumb.jpg.f23876c63547210ae23a45b05009a804.jpg11.thumb.jpg.b398344e2695fa588cf60efd7a801db5.jpg14.thumb.jpg.129e2dbff0bf026a71eb97e785cb8d48.jpg15.thumb.jpg.d6c0b5640ff3edf0448bb238b3902601.jpg16.thumb.jpg.c2e3c37df61671ee7ba5bb8692ab8af1.jpg17.thumb.jpg.901b783abe87b0dc2fe98b50fddca283.jpg18.thumb.jpg.f93855979d872e86c07d23d12fb42a77.jpg

Enjoy the pics and have a great time.

Best regards,
Doris

Doris, By leaving a momento In your model. I have heard of some people signing their name in hidden place or leaving a coin or something unknown to others. The emotion and love you put in your models certainly isn’t hidden. Personally, I usually leave a few drops of blood, but it has never been intentional, just by accident.

Kurt