HMS ROYAL KATHERINE 1664 by Doris - 1/55 - CARD

Fantastic work, Doris.  Certainly the best model sails I have seen.

Ed

1 hour ago, DORIS said:

I have lost motivation and enthusiasm,  always shared it with my husband and created the models also for him - he supported me a lot and loved what I did.

This is not to be unexpected. It reminds of me of Neil Peart, the late drummer for Rush. After his wife passed away, he took a long hiatus from the band, but he came back to it eventually. If you are passionate about something, as your models clearly show, you will return to it at some point. But time away for grieving is something none of us would begrudge you.

Take care of yourself,

Chris

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Doris,

Also from Anja and myself our condolences.

Again you make a masterpiece and this one for you and your husband.

RESPECT!

We understand that you have lost the feeling of building but remember that when you are coming back ,we are here for you!

Anja & Sjors

• 2 weeks later...

Please look in and post an update for us on you and your life now and again Doris.

I have truly enjoyed following your fantastic builds over the years and even though we have never met or even talked, consider you a friend. I do hope you find a place in your life that returns some of the joy you are missing. My wife and I will be thinking of you and hoping for better times in your life.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 1 month later...

Hello Doris,

I have not been following all the work on MSW closely lately and I missed the post where you reported the loss of your husband.  Please accept my sincere condolences on your loss.  I came across the post while showing your work to someone as I often do to describe the work of an exceptionally talented artist/modeler.  You are in a class by yourself, for sure.  All the best,

Ed

Dear friends,

I am very grateful and honored reading your kind words and feel your support. Thank you all very much, I do appreciate your feedback a lot.

Th Royal Katherine has been finished a few days ago, this build took me almost four years and approximate 7000hours of work and studying. 

I am sorry that my husband could not see the completion of the model, but he supported me a lot in my hobby and shared the successes and joy of building models with me.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who have helped me and followed my work through this forum.
A few days ago there was a nice report about my work on card models on Czech television. It was also dedicated to my husband, with whom I wanted to say goodbye for the last time. You can watch the report here, but it is in Czech languauge:

https://www.ceskatelevize.cz/porady/10805121298-gejzir/221562235000005/video/819958?fbclid=IwAR1I97p0dLk-BvV_dO7SQtBYOl3AFps7K9qI9gWhKSZ4TEeRVBBPsp-3zy0

And here you can see plenty of pics of my largest finished model - the Royal Katherine - I consider her the best ship of all I have ever created:

1.thumb.jpg.cdb0ddb3646a03272dbed4e22b9d7daa.jpg14.thumb.jpg.b36b6673a1d48a8df9c4f3c5609f360f.jpg15.thumb.jpg.cb2ff24c5e0dac096a912a5578c24a80.jpg7.thumb.jpg.df9a02a020580597626c68564e53c6e0.jpg8.thumb.jpg.0c183748b105b369e37bcc4d8c57d5e6.jpg9.thumb.jpg.0d0a0a34a603042fbbf31e16b6aca79c.jpg10.thumb.jpg.1f76174fcb0b57aa3f9aa1c0653e5dbc.jpg11.thumb.jpg.bba43c92e6a0fbe258a4518dddaccc2c.jpg12.thumb.jpg.683a210a89b3d6afec4a55430da8bac8.jpg13.thumb.jpg.ba58d6500c353a63671e055c458e7b91.jpg16.thumb.jpg.10f4415edc507ee34fe37d19eb9a2c29.jpg17.thumb.jpg.b01784bd2aab92fc4f1588cc90d4aa8e.jpg18.thumb.jpg.12a83d6fdae69e52f98ec2fbafab07a1.jpg19.thumb.jpg.4e14e125be779360ff900a3efa8eb54c.jpg20.thumb.jpg.62509e8ea27dabb9ee58e10c001c8598.jpg21.thumb.jpg.d5738c6b8666a8b6513a92d8bb50c2dc.jpg

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

Wow!

Doris, it`s a feast for the eyes, wunderbar !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

So good to see that picked up the thread again after your terrible loss, Doris. Hope you are well.

Judged by your work you are healing and possibly model building helps you, as it does so many of us.

Your work is beyond any criticism. Your models are works of art.

Ab

Hello Doris

Your work is absolutely stunning.....a work of art. I have been following your work for some time and to see what you have done over the past years has been nothing but spectacular. You are in a class of your own.

Many thanks for sharing your work .

Cheers................Fernando :cheers:

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

Beautifully done!  Truly a masterpiece!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Doris, I'm afraid there are not enough superlatives in our language to describe your work -- it is truly outstanding in every respect.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

These are magnificent examples of mixed media use in ship model building, Doris. Do they not have dust in your country? I wonder how you keep these masterpieces in pristine condition without being encased.

Whatever will you do next? I hope you will share it here. We talked once of your publishing a book based on your techniques. Did that ever come to fruition?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I'm sure the tribute to your skills and to your husband on Czech TV must have been bitter-sweet. That is a magnificent model and we appreciate you sharing it with us. I know it is not the same, but you have a band of supporters here on MSW for your future models.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

A beautiful and extremely detailed model, Doris.  Thank you for letting us follow along. I am especially touched by the two figures on the deck.  If I remember right, this is you and your husband.  A very fitting tribute.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

What a fabulous model! What a pleasure to have given us the chance to admire this fantastic ship!

We hope to be able to follow your next project.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

This is an absolutely wonderful model!

The weathered look of the sails is a great touch, but is only to be expected from such a careful, thoughtful, and incredibly skilled builder. Every little detail of this whole model bears witness to your dedication to producing a truly outstanding contribution to the field of ship modelling. 

Your methods for building in your chosen material are revelatory, and are, I am sure, an example which has brought the versatility of card to the notice of many who had no idea that such results were possible; and the same with your method of producing the decorative works.

I join in with so many others who can only praise your works. Many, many congratulations!!

Simply beyond words, really!!

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

It has all been said above, but I want to add my congratulations on a job superbly done!!  I hope to see a new project by you here at MSW in the very near future.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Your Katherine is the Vale portrait come to life.  She is truly a remarkable achievement. Nobody “has it” quite like you, Doris.  Thank you for sharing your talents, here, on MSW!

I extend my sympathies to you in this sad and trying time. 

We are all works in progress, all of the time.