HMS ROYAL KATHERINE 1664 by Doris - 1/55 - CARD

On 5/29/2017 at 3:51 AM, DORIS said:

During the weekend I made wooden finish of the hull using foil stripes

Hi Doris

What is your source for these foil strips?  Are these part of your card ship kit or can they be ordered separately?  The reason I ask is, on my current build log for my hybrid (as Jesse calls it) whaling bark Wanderer,  the inside of the bulwarks as you can see here are just smooth plastic. 

100_4396.thumb.JPG.4580f3b2f358d3945b6e78438adacc56.JPG

I was thinking of lining them with a wood veneer to give it the impression of wood but am unable to get anything nearly thin enough to not bring the facing beyond the inside edge of the main rail.  These strips that you are using could maybe do the job.

Thanks

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Beautiful work Doris.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hello dear friends,
thank you very much for your feedback and kind words, they are much appreciated.
Well, now in spring I have plenty of duties and hard work around the house and garden and I also spend much time on detailing/perfect appearance of my clients' cars and their professional training, how to take care of the car varnish and other materials correctly. 

On 28. 4. 2018 at 4:51 PM, BETAQDAVE said:

Hi Doris

What is your source for these foil strips?  Are these part of your card ship kit or can they be ordered separately?  The reason I ask is, on my current build log for my hybrid (as Jesse calls it) whaling bark Wanderer,  the inside of the bulwarks as you can see here are just smooth plastic. 

100_4396.thumb.JPG.4580f3b2f358d3945b6e78438adacc56.JPG

I was thinking of lining them with a wood veneer to give it the impression of wood but am unable to get anything nearly thin enough to not bring the facing beyond the inside edge of the main rail.  These strips that you are using could maybe do the job.

Thanks

I use strips of self-adhesive foils. These foils are purchased separately at specialized shops.I have already mentioned about this on my threads more times. Here you can see more about the products I use:

https://www.tapety-folie.cz/drevo/c-2404/

And now what is new on Royal Katherine....

I have purchased the reproduction of Vale´s painting from NMM to get more accurate information about decoration and other details. The image looks beautiful so I will have a great picture at home as well.

I finished the ledges and window sills around the stern windows and prepared LED illumination.

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

And here I have finally created the sculpture of the Queen Catherine. I used her portraits and other sources of suitable information to achieve this appearance.

https://www.google.cz/search?biw=1366&bih=662&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=WbrlWunRM4ymsgH53b2gCQ&q=queen+catherine+of+braganza&oq=queen+catherine+of+braganza+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i30k1.7973.7973.0.9707.1.1.0.0.0.0.113.113.0j1.1.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.113....0.0GmofsBz4WU

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_of_Braganza

The clothing is in an ancient style similar to the Vale's painting.

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=110763&start=420#p2108444

https://www.modelforum.cz/download/file.php?id=1399865

1.thumb.jpg.376a16d101888d2fb11665db98164b9c.jpg2.thumb.jpg.d9a9c154ed9b2ae8f3299b65bc69646b.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.1ba4404505494156d8d98be339678e7c.jpg4.thumb.jpg.18bff5b536a0e97c0816889dff7d8a53.jpg5.thumb.jpg.2a508962a737b2c9d117e0143c6309a5.jpg6.thumb.jpg.6beee2d17fdf70a82ee085f3e7458a6e.jpg7.thumb.jpg.24faeeec60f606feefa515c97006e71c.jpg8.thumb.jpg.ccf55d6486184db84020af6572074bee.jpg

In the last two photos there is a statue after some minor improvements.

9.thumb.jpg.559679751d0785eca9d75ffe7dc9a2b1.jpg10.thumb.jpg.783213baa886ccbd5a3c1ed6bf8eaf45.jpg

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

Fantastic decorations Doris,

sooooo beautiful !

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I'm with Ed.....it's amazing the work you do.......very beautiful work!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Doris,

You have made remarkable progress on your beautiful ship.

One question occurs to me, at this stage of your build: will you be detailing/furnishing/populating the great cabin as you have done on previous models?  Are the decks fixed in place, yet?

An observation: it is interesting to me how simply adding the arched framework to the aft window of the quarter gallery softens the architecture and unifies the whole composition.

And now I will levy a small critique, which I offer to you despite, or perhaps because of my great admiration for your artistry in sculpture.  So far, all of the tiny figures that fill the spaces between the caryatids are magnificently and delicately rendered.  They are exquisite.

In my opinion, though, the face of Katherine lacks that finesse and definition of feature that are hallmarks of your work.  The figure is good, but it is not your best, and I wouldn’t dare mention it, if I didn’t think you were capable of improving it.  And, also, she occupies the most prime real estate on the ship.  Please take this with the proverbial grain of salt, and the knowledge that I could do no better myself.

This is a special model, Doris, and I want for this to be your best model yet - which despite the magnificent Caroline, it is.  As always, I am truly humbled by your special talent.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Dear friends, 

I do appreciate your praise a lot and thank you all for your comments.

36 minutes ago, Hubac'sHistorian said:

Hello Doris,

You have made remarkable progress on your beautiful ship.

One question occurs to me, at this stage of your build: will you be detailing/furnishing/populating the great cabin as you have done on previous models?  Are the decks fixed in place, yet?

An observation: it is interesting to me how simply adding the arched framework to the aft window of the quarter gallery softens the architecture and unifies the whole composition.

And now I will levy a small critique, which I offer to you despite, or perhaps because of my great admiration for your artistry in sculpture.  So far, all of the tiny figures that fill the spaces between the caryatids are magnificently and delicately rendered.  They are exquisite.

In my opinion, though, the face of Katherine lacks that finesse and definition of feature that are hallmarks of your work.  The figure is good, but it is not your best, and I wouldn’t dare mention it, if I didn’t think you were capable of improving it.  And, also, she occupies the most prime real estate on the ship.  Please take this with the proverbial grain of salt, and the knowledge that I could do no better myself.

This is a special model, Doris, and I want for this to be your best model yet - which despite the magnificent Caroline, it is.  As always, I am truly humbled by your special talent.

You are absolutely right, thank you for your opinion. I admit that the queen´s  statue is not according to my ideas. It was difficult to find optimal shape and appearance of her statue, cause the figure on Vale´s painting looks rather like a man and has a face with beard. :huh:First I was quite satisified with this sculpture, but after short time I was not soo sure....,  and I think I will do it again and better. I am very grateful for a sincere and truthful view that confirms what I really feel.

I want to do things better and your feedback is a great motivation for me. So do not hesitate to write criticism, I have no problem to accept it and learn from it.:piratebo5:

Have a great time,

Doris

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

To me it seems that the greatest difficulty with this sort of reconstruction is the fact that the subtleties of shape and detail rarely translate well in these original portraits.  If anyone is up to the challenge, though, it is you Doris.  Thank you for taking my opinion in stride.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Wonderful!! 

It's always a treat to see your work. 

Richard. 

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Doris,

Just catching up - Yes as everyone is saying Stunning indeed!! Your art is superlative. 

PS: and yes, as you said in a previous post that your SOS is your favorite build,  YES beyond amazing!

Sincerely,

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

I'm just speechless which is unusual for me.  I think WOW... is not enough. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello dear friends,

I am very pleased, you like my work. Thank you all for your praise and kind comments.

15 hours ago, druxey said:

Is the central figure perhaps representing Neptune, flanked by two nereids?

Well, it seems to be a man´s figure, but if I understand well the description of Vale´s painting from NMM, the central figure is a carving of Queen Catherine.

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/15079.html

15 hours ago, CDW said:

Doris,

How long does it take for you to sculpt one of those decorative figures?

It depends on the complexity of a particular statuette/decoration, but usually takes me about 2-5 hours. But for example a larger figurehead can take me more than two days....

13 hours ago, aviaamator said:

Excellent work! Doris! For you there is no impossible! I hesitate to ask, and who stands at the stove and prepares lunch?

Oh, good question.... B) We take turns with my husband or mom. Telling the truth, we often do things together, it's better and faster.

17 hours ago, Hubac'sHistorian said:

To me it seems that the greatest difficulty with this sort of reconstruction is the fact that the subtleties of shape and detail rarely translate well in these original portraits.  If anyone is up to the challenge, though, it is you Doris.  Thank you for taking my opinion in stride.

Thank you very much for your support and good advice.I am glad I have decided to recreate the Queen´s sculpture again and believe, now she looks better.

And how you asked about the furnishing of the great cabin - of course I am going to make it in a high level of detail. Maybe I will place there some crew members as well. The decks are not fixes in place yet.

Please enjoy the pics and have a great time.

1.thumb.jpg.43133314a1e7555502e686ffbd3c3de6.jpg2.thumb.jpg.3fccd98dfc9926e5107fe17862a7d6f8.jpg3.thumb.jpg.ddf14a56713f38a16dbf8b289895b01a.jpg4.thumb.jpg.ce532b629cb32ead897cb91ba10c4ab4.jpg5.thumb.jpg.4d5907178cb90f90d7d1ef109a023c38.jpg6.thumb.jpg.648460d95732f6cfafa08cd41a821b28.jpg8.thumb.jpg.a2f5c80108c5d1fff3233bc50a1472d5.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.d7820298fbbb468517967eca7d929ad3.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.9c8f7e0b8f0fff9881f453c4e7ca4149.jpg

Doris

Current build: