HMS Duke of York by CDW - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1:350 - PLASTIC

Wow Craig, you are moving quite fast, no wonder Carl dubbed you as Mr. Bunny ;)  We could have used a few these magnificent ships in the East Indies, things may have turned out different for us there.

Love those ships and I'll stay tuned to all your next builds.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

You might have jinxed me. :D Just about the time someone mentions I'm making quick progress on this model, I run into the British 2 pdr. pom pom guns. 

Seriously, I spent several hours just building this one measly gun! The gun consists of more than 30 separate parts, and a lot of them must be bent/folded to shape. I struggled to read and focus on the printed instruction sheet photographs. And that was with magnifying aids. Unlike some Pontos sets, this one does not have their instructions on pdf file at their website. As a result, I cannot zoom in to get a good view of what they are trying to show me. But all's well that ends well, and I managed to get the first of 6 of these built today. it should go faster tomorrow as now I know what folding I need to do and where each part goes. 

DSCN0876.JPG

DSCN0875.JPG

DSCN0874.JPG

DSCN0873.JPG

DSCN0872.JPG

Love the Pom Poms Craig, very well done.

They are one of the things I am looking forward to eventually doing on the Hood, although at 1/200 scale should be a bit easier than yours.

Your build is really shaping up nicely.

cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

fantastic project!   when I built ships like these,  there was no such thing as P.E.  ........or this scale for that matter.   seeing an increase in the logs on these vessels.......I'm tempted to get one.  but I think the admiral would kill me.  truly superior work ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

fantastic project!   when I built ships like these,  there was no such thing as P.E.  ........or this scale for that matter.   seeing an increase in the logs on these vessels.......I'm tempted to get one.  but I think the admiral would kill me.  truly superior work ;) 

When I first began building ship models (or any other type of model), there were no parts like these, either. Maybe it was the 80's when I first began to see photo etch parts, I can't remember for sure. Verlinden was making them back then, and other cottage industry parts. But they were very thick and crude by comparison to today's photo etch. The same with cast resin. Very crude at first, but today's top quality cast resin is amazing. What's just as astounding to me is the quality and precision of the turned brass parts. Take a look at those pom pom barrels and I ask myself, how the heck do they do that? It seems like something that small would just break apart during the machining process. :huh:

I love older models.......sort of a nostalgia nut.  I visit oldmodelkits.com  and walk down memory lane ;)    Revell, AMT,  MPC,  Monogram.......so many different cars I built in my younger days.  even planes........way back before they started to add the panel lines and rivets.   I used to say that I kept my stash at the 606 store {the local hobby shop}.  god knows how much money I spent.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Fantastic work craig  those pom poms just look so fine and perfect, I have the same with my pontos bits and the Master barrels I brought when I brought the warspite.

Keep up the great work you are doing:dancetl6:

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Not a whole lot to report at this time, but work continues on the DoY just at a little slower pace. The Admiral decided she wanted the back patio reworked for the summer and that has taken a high priority in the grand scheme of things. The good news is, it's mostly done now. Our youngest daughter turns twenty at the end of this month and my wife intends to throw a party for her, thus the patio priority. :)

Now, to turn attention to the ship...completed is some work on one of the main gun turrets, and the eight secondary gun turrets. 

I am finding these Pontos instruction photos very difficult to follow, rendering them unusually time consuming for me. The problem is a lack of continuity between any logical construction sequence and the photos on the printed pages. One has to sift through the pages many multiple times to find the appropriate detail photos for the construction at hand. 

Currently, I am working on an area of the superstructure that gets reworked to accommodate the ship's boats and cranes. It receives a new deck, and completely overhauled deck fittings.  

DSCN0879.JPG

DSCN0880.JPG

DSCN0881.JPG

DSCN0882.JPG

DSCN0883.JPG

DSCN0884.JPG

DSCN0885.JPG

DSCN0886.JPG

DSCN0887.JPG

DSCN0888.JPG

DSCN0889.JPG

DSCN0890.JPG

DSCN0891.JPG

DSCN0892.JPG

Truly impressive work Craig. My question on those pom pom guns, how are you managing all those gezillion parts holding hands?  Solder?  Glue?  If glue what kind?  My guess on machining the gun barrels is either hot pressing in dies, extruding, or a good quality jeweler's lathe. I guess that I could do it on my old Unimat. 

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hi Piet

Thanks for the kind comments. I'll bet you are correct, they making those fine brass parts on some type of lathe equipment similar to what a jeweler might use.

For glue of photo etch, I use both an acrylic glue called "Gator Grip", and a CA glue, specifically Gorilla Glue with the blue cap. Every now and then, I might use a thin CA glue as well.

For example, the entire pom pom gun was assembled with Gator Grip acrylic glue with the exception of the barrels which I used CA. Acrylic glue is pretty much invisible after it dries. However, CA glue is a little stronger join. Sometimes, I find the softer, more flexible joint with acrylic glue preferable over CA. There are also ways to make the acrylic glue even more invisible in the end by wiping away any excess glue with a wet (with water) paint brush and wicking away any left-over water with a dry brush. Can't do that with CA. ;)

Thanks for the tip on Gator Grip glue, I hnave made a note on it. Where did you purchase it? I have used a medium thick CA for the O16 build, seems to work quite nice, when using it VERY sparingly.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I bought the gator grip glue from a vendor on Ebay, and believe he was the actual maker of the product (or at least bottled it up for sale). Since then, have noticed that Freetime Hobbies in Georgia carries it as well. Here: https://freetimehobbies.com/searchresults/?search_query=gator+grip&Search=

Gator Grip really excels where you are gluing a photo etch piece to a plastic surface or to another piece of photo etch, and you need a little extra time to position the piece without having it set up on you too fast. To really take a good hold requires about 10 minutes of set time before it gets tacky.    

33 minutes ago, RGL said:

Your email spoilt for choice in your part of the world, SE Asia seems to produce a lot of the aftermarket tho and shipping is quick here. 

I'm having the devil of a time sourcing the AK Interactive paints here in NA. Found one source in NA, and it's not a well known dealer. Found his selection to be very limited. I'm thinking it's because of product liability and difficulty in shipping lacquer based paints. It would definitely have to be ground shipped and the ingredients are likely illegal in the Peoples Republic of California and maybe some other states. 

But you are right, we are spoiled for choice here in the states.

Hey howya goin CDW mate, nice start to her, if your looking for paints to try look at http://mrpaint.sk/ they go by MRP or Mr Paint they changed the label around depending on where you are in the world, they are thinned ready for airbrushing.  They where a big hit when they came out with alot of plastic modellers, you couldn't even get them in Australia for a while because they where sold out .  :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.