HMS Duke of York by CDW - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1:350 - PLASTIC

great looking crane........well done!   all this PE stuff is so awesome to see ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

They are a big step up from the plastic blobs provided in the kit, but on the other hand, the Pontos detail set sells for more than twice the price of the plastic kit itself. :o 

I think that once a modeler has experienced the added level of detail and clarity that's almost impossible with plastic alone, we're hooked on the detail sets and don't want to do a model without them. 

AMS is the disease (advanced modeler's syndrome). No known cure. :)

AMS ... I recently started to look for PE sets, before I look at the plastic foundation ...

I do like those craines Mr Bunny. Haven't started at mine yet, but it will come soon. First I need to get back to the work bench!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

8 hours ago, CDW said:

Hi Captain

I'm anxious to see your 1:200 Hood get started. Any idea yet when you might start it?

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your interest; unfortunately I can’t see starting the Hood in the foreseeable future.  It comes down to time, I am only home for 3 days every second weekend and for the past couple of months life has got in the way of that limited time although R&Rs should be free again from now for a while.  It’s painful as really itching to do a plastic ship with a ton of PE after following yours, Gregs and others builds!

I also really need to finish Borodino before starting something else and probably less than a third of the way through that.  There is also a couple of card Japanese battleships that I am keen to get started on at least one of them so who knows.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

4 hours ago, cog said:

AMS ... I recently started to look for PE sets, before I look at the plastic foundation ...

I do like those craines Mr Bunny. Haven't started at mine yet, but it will come soon. First I need to get back to the work bench!

I almost always look to see if detail sets are available for models before I buy them, and when I don't, usually end up regretting it. 

WOW, beautiful detail on that crane, really impressive work Craig. Agree, the PE makes the model - - - if one can afford it :huh:

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Loving the detail with the PE,   I often wish some PE would come pre assembled like the Pom Poms or other complicated assemblies, surely companies like Pontas with all thier experience could do that - IM sure it would help a few of us with less tahn stella eyesight or dextrus fingers.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Piet

Thanks for the kind words. When I was a young lad, would have been hard pressed to buy a detail set, that's for sure. But there was no such thing back then, only magazines/periodicals where we could learn from the masters how to scratch build and add detail. Some were very very good. 

OC

I have bought some pre-built and painted limited production model cars whose detail and finish is just incredible. Price was very reasonable for what I got, in the $300-$400 range. So I do think pre assembled photo etch and resin parts could be done, I just don't know if there would be enough of a market for it to make it worthwhile to a business investor.

Tonight I have been working on the 30 or so little single 20mm Oerlikon gun mounts. I find these to be the most trying of all the gun mounts I've built so far. Part of the problem is an undersized hole in one of the very delicate photo etch parts and it needs to be enlarged to fit properly on a pin that projects from the gun base mount. Have not found an effective way to drill and enlarge the hole without destroying the part, so it makes that step of things exhaustive for each and every one of the guns. I probably should buy some other similar oerlikon guns from another manufacturer to see if theirs are not more user friendly. 

1 hour ago, thibaultron said:

Is the pin in the gun base plastic, or part of another PE? If plastic cut it off, and drill for a smaller pin.

All the parts are brass. Either photo etch or machined. I've been cutting off the locator pins and filing it down flat rather than try to drill and install another pin into the machined brass gun base.

These pictures give a good reference for how small we're working with here. I doubt I could drill holes in the tops of these gun bases, even on my best day. :)

This is the stuff fly specks are made of.

DSCN0999.JPG

DSCN1000.JPG

DSCN1001.JPG

1 hour ago, CDW said:

All the parts are brass. Either photo etch or machined. I've been cutting off the locator pins and filing it down flat rather than try to drill and install another pin into the machined brass gun base.

These pictures give a good reference for how small we're working with here. I doubt I could drill holes in the tops of these gun bases, even on my best day. :)

This is the stuff fly specks are made of.

DSCN0999.JPG

DSCN1000.JPG

DSCN1001.JPG

SUPERB Work,    I have to be honest,  I cheeted with my  Orks - I used the main plastic barrel arrangements and used the PE shields with them, then fitted them inside the tubs but with the PE Amo baskets - doors etc.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thank you, sir. Finely ground dry pigment lightly dusted on with a dry brush. Will do some more here and there along with some light salt and sun weathering.

I'm surprised the Pontos set didn't supply a couple of hooks for the cranes...or maybe they did and I just haven't found them on the photo etch sheets yet. If none, will source them somewhere or maybe just make a couple of them. I think I might have some that were included with a Tom's PE set for a Liberty Ship. 

2 hours ago, CDW said:

Dry fitting some parts as they are completed. Lots remaining to be done. Lots of details and touchups, painting and weathering.

DSCN1006.JPG

DSCN1007.JPG

DSCN1008.JPG

DSCN1009.JPG

DSCN1010.JPG

DSCN1011.JPG

Now that is looking Smart nice and sharp very very nice:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Superb looking ship there Craig. Love the weathering as well, which poses a question or two or three. You mentioned using powder and dry bushed it on. Never heard of such a thing. It was mostly sprayed on with airbrush or dry-brush with wet paint, but at this scale that may be difficult to do. 1. What kind of powder is it and where can one obtain it. 2. Does it adhere well enough, or is there another application afterwards?

Reason for asking - I ordered a 1:350 scale model of Hr. Ms. Java - the Dutch cruiser my father was killed on on February 28, 1942 - and  I like to finish her as she was going into that fateful battle.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thank you for the kind words. The pigment used in this particular instance is made by Vallejo, product 73.117, rust oxide. The Vallejo line of pigments are stocked at my local hobby shop, but you can easily find it on line as well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vallejo-Pigments-Pigment-73-117-RUST-30ml-Bottle-Weather-Armor-/321583741959

It adheres well to a painted surface but I cover the model with a clear matt varnish once everything is finished. Repeated handling could potentially smear the pigment to places unintended without a clear coat afterward. 

Is the Java a resin kit?

I think these photo etch parts represent some type of sight devices, but no books I have give reference to what exactly they are. Anyone know for sure?

One thing I do know, the parts represent the extreme edge of what I can see to work with. Using magnification, begin to lose my depth perception making the pieces difficult to position. I believe these are perhaps the smallest parts on the photo etch sheets. Any smaller and I will not attempt it. No point really, as I would not be able to see it after the model is finished even if I could.

DSCN1013.JPG

DSCN1012.JPG

Nice progress Craig. 

Time to move up to 1/200 scale with the card models. Looking forward to seeing what ones you got. 

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

16 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

Nice progress Craig. 

Time me to move up to 1/200 scale with the card models. Looking forward to seeing what ones you got. 

Cheers

Slog

I'm pretty sure I bought something that will be quite a challenge for a first card model. Maybe over extended myself? It's the 1:200 USS Oakland, a WW2 light cruiser with a lot of twin 5" gun turrets. An anti aircraft platform to be sure. 

s-l1600.jpg

22 minutes ago, RGL said:

They're not MG stands/brackets? I agree on too small, sometimes it's just a bit too gimmicky to produce a .1mm x .1mm thing and even expect it to stand out yet alone be able to be glued. 

I think they are supposed to represent binoculars, but not a very convincing replica IMHO. Will probably order some 3 dimensional ones rather than fool around with these.

1 hour ago, CDW said:

I'm pretty sure I bought something that will be quite a challenge for a first card model. Maybe over extended myself?

I would be the last person to judge someone diving in at the deep end, go with what interests you is my mantra.  I look forward to a review of it and I hope you do a build log when you start it.

Cheers

Slog

10 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

I would be the last person to judge someone diving in at the deep end, go with what interests you is my mantra.  I look forward to a review of it and I hope you do a build log when you start it.

Cheers

Slog

Captain Slog

I'm probably going to depend quite a bit on your experience with card models to build something like this (will review your build threads for tips) and may need to message you even to do a review. Having no experience with card models, wouldn't know whether the features of it were good, bad, or indifferent. :rolleyes:

The one thing I do recall from your advice was to buy a kit with laser cut frames, which I did. What about laser cut details such as railings and ladders. Are they okay, or is photo etch preferable?

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your vote of confidence. My total card modelling experience is here on this site  but I will definitely help where I can and feel free to message as you need. 

Don't forget Chris ( ccoyle) who is the resident card guru who I picked up most of  my techniques from and I am sure he will drop in once you start your log. I advise going through his tutorial in the card section also. 

RE laser cut details, I haven't used them so can't fully answer your question. I know Chris is a fan and I believe they are easier to work with particularly things like railings. I went with photo etch as I assumed they would be finer especially things like gratings etc. 

Good luck and looking forward to following along. 

Cheers

Slog