HMS Duke of York by CDW - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1:350 - PLASTIC

nice! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice progress on the fiddly stuff Craig. I'm lucky being able to follow you in this build because I have ordered the Hr. Ms. Java from Pacific Crossroads in 1:35 scale. This way I can see what to look out for.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks Piet. Can't wait to see the Java, and at 1:35 scale, should offer a good opportunity for detail work.

Seems like the fiddly stuff takes a lot of time. Most of it is figuring out ahead of time how it all folds and goes together. I've never detailed a British ship like this and the range finders are quite a bit different than other ships from the same period from different nations, not intuitive for me at all. Interesting antennae arrays in any event. 

Dry fitting the fore mast and trying to determine where to add anchors for rigging that must be done later. That little brass box that can be seen in the lower right hand side of some of the pictures must be glued to the rear legs of the mast. Each of the legs have little relief cut outs that were machined into each leg to correctly position the box.

I must say that the mast parts are far better engineered and rendered in this set than they were in the USS Essex mast set. Those were much more difficult to assemble whereas these have been much simpler even though more complex.

DSCN1020.JPG

DSCN1022.JPG

DSCN1023.JPG

DSCN1024.JPG

DSCN1025.JPG

DSCN1026.JPG

Nice work Craig, I can't see enough photo etch details you guys are doing.  Must........resist.........starting........another........build.....arrgggghhhh.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

you still have promises to keep though ...

it's a little more promising too ;) Results are getting better and better, Mr Bunny

You could take the road less traveled by as it makes all the difference ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

It's a little late in the game, but I want to do an ocean base for this model. Have never done one before now, so started watching various videos on how others are doing it. Doesn't look too awfully difficult to do, but will probably take trial and error to get results I would like. The North Sea where this ship encountered the Scharnhorst was often rough, so will start think high seas with waves and froth (or was that, Frost :)). We shall see what we shall sea.

That could be very nice. I wonder if the seas got very high in the North Sea, my experience - from the trip of Hoek of Holland to 'arrich - was not such impressive waves, as it is just a narrow stretch of water ... watch out for Frostbite

Carl

Great work,  that main mast looks so like the one on my Warpy (when I het round to continuing)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Impressive work Craig.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Passing by my local hobby shop on other business, decided to stop by to see if anything new had come in. Looking in their locked glass display case, spotted this Pontos Detail set boxed up for sale by Tamiya. It seems that Pontos detail sets are labeled for sale by Tamiya for certain of their ships. This one is for the Prince of Wales. It normally sells for around $150. The hobby shop had this set marked down to $42.50 so I succumbed to the arm twisting and bought it. The set contains almost everything that was in my Duke of York set, only this one specifically includes the Prince of Wales items that make it different from the DoY. So I guess at some point I shall acquire a Tamiya Prince of Wales kit and do that one to go along with my DoY.

DSCN1052edited.jpg

DSCN1053edited.jpg

On 25/06/2017 at 8:57 PM, CDW said:

Passing by my local hobby shop on other business, decided to stop by to see if anything new had come in. Looking in their locked glass display case, spotted this Pontos Detail set boxed up for sale by Tamiya. It seems that Pontos detail sets are labeled for sale by Tamiya for certain of their ships. This one is for the Prince of Wales. It normally sells for around $150. The hobby shop had this set marked down to $42.50 so I succumbed to the arm twisting and bought it. The set contains almost everything that was in my Duke of York set, only this one specifically includes the Prince of Wales items that make it different from the DoY. So I guess at some point I shall acquire a Tamiya Prince of Wales kit and do that one to go along with my DoY.

DSCN1052edited.jpg

DSCN1053edited.jpg

I so love Pontos decks - Superb.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

• 4 weeks later...

I get to a certain point in the construction of these ships when I'm not motivated to take pictures because it seems all the things added don't amount to a picture taking event. But then after a while, it's either grab a picture or two now, or else you'll be completely finished. And that's where I am now.

Still have to add the railings, some AA guns, searchlights, some rigging, flags, and a tad more weathering here and there.

Can you believe I got this far before I realized my kit didn't have the ship's aircraft, the Walrus? Don't know if it was missing from the packaging or if I lost it in the past. In any event, I ordered some Trumpeter Walrus and will add it after the set arrives.

DSCN1124.jpg

DSCN1125.jpg

DSCN1126.jpg

DSCN1127.jpg

DSCN1128.jpg

DSCN1129.jpg

DSCN1130.jpg

DSCN1131.jpg

Thought you a bit quiet Mr Bunny. I like the way she develops further into the battleship she should be. Even stanchions, or the railing are worth taking a picture from. It's another step in her completion, how tiny it may be!

Carl

not only that Carl,  but there may be someone out there,  that is stuck on some small bit of detail.   a well documented build is very useful in that respect.  I try,  but I miss the mark too.....I forget.

sometimes,  I even feel the same way....especially with rigging,  when there gets to be quite a bit done.  fantastic looking ship Craig........you folks are tempting me so badly......I've forgotten how super these ships look ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

She is looking Superb - Wondeful work.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hi Craig, build looks fantastic, well done.

I would have thought the decision for the next build would have been easy...MIKASA!

of course I would expect a blow by blow build log so I'll have some reference for the future!

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

I arrived at the very last task of detailing and installing searchlights before I realized my kit does not have enough searchlights to complete the model. So, went to Northstar and ordered some that will be suitable for a model of this size.

The recommended donor kit for the Duke of York detail set I used was the Tamiya Prince of Wales. i used the King George V kit instead as my donor thinking it really wouldn't make any difference. For the most part this was true, except in the case of searchlights, a few odd and end differences in deck and superstructure details, and the lack of a Walrus spotter aircraft. As soon as my searchlights arrive, will get them finished and installed, then some final photographs for posterity.

She is looking the bussiness now - busy and authentic  Very nice mate.:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.